The Wave Sucks

bigruss

that and the idiot who has to stand up and dig money out of his pockets to buy a beer and then stands there waiting for the beer to come to him and put his money away. all that standing makes me miss 5 pitches!!

You said it all when you wrote the word "idiot."

There are many many at ballgames.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the wave is for people who did not come to watch a baseball game, but attend just another get out and do something entertainment venue

same people that come to hear player theme music before the bat, scrolling banners telling the fans when to cheer, teensluts shooting Chinese sweat shop t-shirts into the stands with a pneumatic gun, animated race-around-the base on the jumbotron to determine which color ticket gets 10% off a jersey with a 1000% markup at the stadium......need I go on?

it's on full display here at Angels stadium and it makes me sick and defend traditional stadiums where all that family entertainment non-baseball horsesh*t is removed

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
Which is my point. I guess it's annoying b/c I used to manage a sports store. I own the white authentic Alexei and the black authentic Beckham, and now people at the Cell have these piece of garbage jerseys. Like I said, they claim their authentic, "I mean look, their stitched!" Catch my drift?

BTW- I'm not ragging on what people can or can't afford, but if you can pay $60 for a "sweet" jersey then what they paid for a ticket plus gas to get to the game plus parking, I'm sure they can just pay another $40 for the official replica jersey.

Dude I think I saw these at the park yesterday? They say "authentic" but they're clearly not because the lettering/number almost are kind of puffy?

WTF? Why do they get to call them authentic then?

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
Dude I think I saw these at the park yesterday? They say "authentic" but they're clearly not because the lettering/number almost are kind of puffy?

WTF? Why do they get to call them authentic then?

Haha, they can do whatever they want. Point is they paid $50 for the same thing that diehards pay $300 for; and neither is a game-worn jersey. So really the only satisfaction the authentic guy gets is in the basement at home where he can pat himself on the back, look in the mirror and say, "You got the real thing ol' boy. Stupid posers."

I saved up and bought an authentic Mags jersey when I was in High School and then lost it in a bar during cubs/sox a few years ago. If I was to get a new jersey, I would never pay 300 for it. That's just money down the toilet for a grown man to wear a boy's name on his back.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
Haha, they can do whatever they want. Point is they paid $50 for the same thing that diehards pay $300 for; and neither is a game-worn jersey. So really the only satisfaction the authentic guy gets is in the basement at home where he can pat himself on the back, look in the mirror and say, "You got the real thing ol' boy. Stupid posers."

I saved up and bought an authentic Mags jersey when I was in High School and then lost it in a bar during cubs/sox a few years ago. If I was to get a new jersey, I would never pay 300 for it. That's just money down the toilet for a grown man to wear a boy's name on his back.

Hah, so true. I only have 1 jersey that was ever bought at cost, and it's my Konerko jersey that I got for Xmas in 2005. I own like 15 jerseys, and none of them cost me more than $60 (besides my Golden Tate jersey which was $75, but again, an Xmas present).

All my jerseys are 100% authentic except for 1 Carlos Quentin jersey I bought on Ebay in 2008 for $35. That one is one of those "fakes" that was mentioned about the silky material. But yeah, I currently get all my jerseys for $35 from my jersey guy.

Do fans at Wrigley do the wave? The crowds at the Cell have been downright embarrassing. It's like when the stadium gets more than 30,000 fans, they don't know how to handle it, they get all giddy and start the wave.. Then there's the fights in the UD.. But what's bugging me the most is how lame the crowds have been. The fans are so f***ing lethargic. It looks like half the crowd are zombies. Whenever I happen to catch a Cubs game on tv, I notice how those fans are alive. Whenever there's a big pitch, the entire crowd rises to their feet in unison.. within 2 seconds. I've never seen that at the Cell. It takes 45 seconds for half the crowd to stand up. I know we rip on Cubs fans for acting like every game is a World Series game, but that's better than looking like a casual family softball game. I just wish every game was like that blackout game. The White Sox deserve more crowds like that!

Edited by SouthSidePride05

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)
Do fans at Wrigley do the wave? The crowds at the Cell have been downright embarrassing. It's like when the stadium gets more than 30,000 fans, they don't know how to handle it, they get all giddy and start the wave.. Then there's the fights in the UD.. But what's bugging me the most is how lame the crowds have been. The fans are so f***ing lethargic. It looks like half the crowd are zombies. Whenever I happen to catch a Cubs game on tv, I notice how those fans are alive. Whenever there's a big pitch, the entire crowd rises to their feet in unison.. within 2 seconds. I've never seen that at the Cell. It takes 45 seconds for half the crowd to stand up. I know we rip on Cubs fans for acting like every game is a World Series game, but that's better than looking like a casual family softball game. I just wish every game was like that blackout game. The White Sox deserve more crowds like that!

WTH are you talking about?!?!

I was just there Sunday and the crowd was hardly "lethargic."

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)

Dude..DO NOT compare us to Cub fans. Please.

I was there Sunday as well and think the intensity was just right. There were several keys points in the game when fans cheered and even stood up to cheer. Personally, I think the faux intensity at Wrigley Field is not what baseball is all about. They cheer everything that goes their way and frequently boo when things aren't to their liking. This includes balls and strikes no matter what point in the game it is. It is great that they are supposedly into every pitch, but I say no thanks to that idea. Baseball is a relaxing cerebral event for me. I like to watch and think along and occasionally stand up and cheer if the situation calls for it. That means crucial points in the game and we all know that while every pitch can matter to the grand scheme of things, there is no reason to blown your load cheering throughout the game. It just sets you up for an emotional letdown, which is even more germane if you are a fan of the Cubs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)
I might even do the wave at a Tigers game just to avoid watching that train wreck.

Since they were losing by double digits I could understand the wave late in the game. I just dont get it though when the game is on the line or its early on in the game (what, youre already bored?).

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
I was there Sunday as well and think the intensity was just right. There were several keys points in the game when fans cheered and even stood up to cheer. Personally, I think the faux intensity at Wrigley Field is not what baseball is all about. They cheer everything that goes their way and frequently boo when things aren't to their liking. This includes balls and strikes no matter what point in the game it is. It is great that they are supposedly into every pitch, but I say no thanks to that idea. Baseball is a relaxing cerebral event for me. I like to watch and think along and occasionally stand up and cheer if the situation calls for it. That means crucial points in the game and we all know that while every pitch can matter to the grand scheme of things, there is no reason to blown your load cheering throughout the game. It just sets you up for an emotional letdown, which is even more germane if you are a fan of the Cubs.

I think cheering every fly ball like it's a home run is really stupid (I tell people it's really not that hard to tell where the ball is going, and if you can't do it, watch the outfielder, 9 times out of 10 he is jogging to a spot that's inside the park somewhere)

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 01:41 AM)

Not to sound like an, "In the old days" guy, but you guys who missed out on the Old Comiskey missed some incredible incredible crowds. Wow was it electric in there when the place was full. Now when the team sucked, it was empty and a morgue and dangerous when you walked back to your car, but when it was full ... WOW!