Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
Usually, each season it winds up being 4-5 teams in each league have really good bullpens.

Usually 4 of those teams make the playoffs.

And like I said, if the season started tomorrow I'd be worried. But there's time.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
Maybe but talk to the Atlanta Braves of the 90's about being able to piecemeal a bullpen together. It's not that easy and it can ruin a good starting staff.

I agree I'm not worried yet but many teams are looking for bullpen help and the price will go up. With signing Dunn and possibly PK, there won't be much left to get quality.

KW is just going to have to get creative or somebody from the system is going to have to step up. This goes back to our crappy drafting/player development. Look at the Giants from this last year. Brian Wilson and Sergio Romo, their 2 best relievers, were 24th and 28th round picks. I wouldn't be horrified at giving a guy like Gregory Infante or Jon Link a shot (granted they performed well during ST).

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
If the Sox weren't in contention, they would have shut down Santos in August for the season. He'll be fine, he'll learn how to pace himself through a 162 game season better. I'm not worried about the bullpen at all right now, as people are overpaying for bullpen pieces right now.

We went from Mark Kotsay to Adam Dunn. I just can't get upset about the bullpen right now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Was it people figuring him out, or him getting a bit overworked through his first major league season. You cant teach stuff, and he has top notch major league stuff. I am not really that worried at all.

This is a guy who has never pitched. We talk about building innings up for a guy like Sale, but remember Santos is literally starting from scratch as of spring 2009. He will be fine.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:31 AM)
It'd be nice to have a bullpen so you can develop Sale as a SP. Because we are going to need that in 2012.

The thing is, as much as we think that, it appears KW, Ozzie, and Cooper want him in the bullpen next year no matter what.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
This is a guy who has never pitched. We talk about building innings up for a guy like Sale, but remember Santos is literally starting from scratch as of spring 2009. He will be fine.

Which is why there is some cause for worry. Santos is a work in progress and Sale's never been through the grind. As talented as they both are, they are huge question marks over an entire 162 game season. I'm not worried about the pen, but that's more because I know KW will go get a couple guys more than I think Sale and Santos will be good for 162 games.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
The thing is, as much as we think that, it appears KW, Ozzie, and Cooper want him in the bullpen next year no matter what.

I think that's more because they think that they can still develop him as a SP for 2012 by doing that. I think that it will be a rough process going that way. They aren't oblivious to the fact that he's the only in-house SP candidate for 2012.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
cst_sox “There’s a fine line - when do you risk losing ur Plan B and C in favor of trying 2b as patient as u can with ur Plan A.’’ KW on PK deadline

4 minutes ago

KW is losing patience fast.

If Paulie wants to screw around too much longer, KW should just go with Plan B. Maybe they can sign D. Lee for 2 years at half of what Paulie wants and use the rest of the money on the bullpen.

I want Paulie back, but I'm wondering if he really wants to be here, considering his comments at the end of the season and his hesitance to re-sign now. I'd really be pissed if the Sox wait too long and he decides to sign elsewhere causing the Sox to miss out on their Plan B guy. s*** or get off the pot, Paulie!

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
If Paulie wants to screw around too much longer, KW should just go with Plan B. Maybe they can sign D. Lee for 2 years at half of what Paulie wants and use the rest of the money on the bullpen.

I want Paulie back, but I'm wondering if he really wants to be here, considering his comments at the end of the season and his hesitance to re-sign now. I'd really be pissed if the Sox wait too long and he decides to sign elsewhere causing the Sox to miss out on their Plan B guy. s*** or get off the pot, Paulie!

He's been very clear that he wants to hear offers, hoping to find a place closer to home. I don't see how that's him being unfair in any way.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
Amaro says he's considering a RF platoon of Gload/Francisco to start 2011. Does anybody actually believe him? The Phils have been connected to Quentin a couple times this offseason, and I can't help but wonder what we'd be looking for in return if a deal is made.

That's bulls***. RF is Dominic Brown's to lose at this point.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)
KW spoke of a Plan B and C today for 1B - well according to a scout, Derrek Lee is on the radar. Is he B or C? Does it matter? Adds defense. half a minute ago via TweetDeck

From cowley....

Well who knows anymore.

I beat Cowley to the punch. I know D Lee is on deck and if he's healthy, that may just be the best thing for the team. -Better D/Comparable hitters/Better athlete/Frees up $$$

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 07:15 PM)
I beat Cowley to the punch. I know D Lee is on deck and if he's healthy, that may just be the best thing for the team. -Better D/Comparable hitters/Better athlete/Frees up $$$

Dlee has been an obvious idea, with the connections going all of the way back to the Marlins days. I'd be surprised if there is any reality to it if Cowley is talking about it. He's got about as many hits as Alexei in April so far this winter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
Dlee has been an obvious idea, with the connections going all of the way back to the Marlins days. I'd be surprised if there is any reality to it if Cowley is talking about it. He's got about as many hits as Alexei in April so far this winter.

LOL. Yeah, I just thought it was funny that I posted D Lee and then like minutes later he does...

DLee sounds nice and all...but I don't know if I'm a big fan of bringing over a career national league guy and expect him to produce immediately not knowing a majority of the pitchers in the AL. If it came down to choice I'd rather have Pena. Hope it's all a moot point and PK just give hancock on the paper soon.