Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 04:07 PM)
#mlb #whitesox #redsox The Chicago White Sox were runner-up in the Adrian Gonzalez derby, offering IF Gordon Beckham and prospects. - Nightangale

I'd wager that's what San Diego asked for as opposed to Sox offering. Cuz, that would be bad for filling out a roster.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
I'd go..

Pierre

Beckham

Konerko

Dunn

Rios

Quentin

AJP

Ramirez

Morel

I just love the 3-6. That's the "danger zone" right there.

I like this one. Most of the other ones have too many righties in a row. I don't love Rios in the 5th spot because he'd be a double play machine but I think Paulie is better suited in the 3 spot. I could also make a case for Rios hitting 2nd with Beckham or Q in the 5 spot giving, but to start the season I think the Sox are going to make sure someone who command at least some respect hits behind Dunn to give him at least a little protection.

Ideally, Quentin and Rios produce and you'd go:

Pierre

Rios

Konerko

Dunn

Quentin

That is a pretty damn solid top 5 if your guys are producing. You are a little light in OBP though in the top 2 spots, which is a major negative since we know that Dunn is a HR machine and to get the most bang for you buck with him we will want guys on base when he's up.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
#mlb #whitesox #redsox The Chicago White Sox were runner-up in the Adrian Gonzalez derby, offering IF Gordon Beckham and prospects. - Nightangale

Us including Beckham tells me that Hoyer is just in absolute love with what he got because as far as I'm concerned the Pads got pretty raped. It could turn out differently but the guys they traded for, outside of a 1st base prospect without elite power numbers (and that means he's a dime a dozen prospect as far as I'm concerned), are so long away from being major leaguers that the bust rate is just so high.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
Us including Beckham tells me that Hoyer is just in absolute love with what he got because as far as I'm concerned the Pads got pretty raped. It could turn out differently but the guys they traded for, outside of a 1st base prospect without elite power numbers (and that means he's a dime a dozen prospect as far as I'm concerned), are so long away from being major leaguers that the bust rate is just so high.

Shaughnessy in his article today used the "Kevin McHale sends Garnett to the Celtics" comparison.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 09:21 PM)
I disagree. Getting Jenks back at the right price isn't a bad thing. There are far worse things the Sox could do.

Jenks has become very unreliable on the mound and with injuries. Also, don't discount the "off the field" difficulties the Sox had to deal with regarding Jenks last year that KW mentioned a month ago. I'd be shocked to see him back.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)

It's gonna be awesome when KW finally lands him when he's 40 yrs old. :unsure:

Edited by Getupstretch39

Jenks is a closer who can't close anymore... Signing him for 1 mil and having him compete for the closers job and losing it is a waste.... Bobby can't close and can't pitch the 7th inning, so what's the point?

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
Jenks is a closer who can't close anymore... Signing him for 1 mil and having him compete for the closers job and losing it is a waste.... Bobby can't close and can't pitch the 7th inning, so what's the point?

Thank you.

I would argue that Putz is better than jenks and deserves the raise he seeks. JJ is looking for 4.5-5 million or a team willing to go muliple years. Jenks days are over and not for a championship caliper team. Sox only offered Putz 3.2 million for this year. Not enough.

Edited by quickman

I just disagree with the notion that Jenks can't pitch. I agree he's been injury riddled and his lack of working out and being in decent shape has impacted him from being the pitcher he was a few years ago. However, last season Bobby was an incredibly unlucky pitcher as evidenced by the high BAPIP (.368). The few seasons prior to that he's still put up well above average ERA+'s (two years ago and elite level ERA+).

In fact, 2010 was a season in which he posted one of his lowest FIP and Xfip of 2.59 and 2.62 of his career.

Additionally, he's still striking out > a batter per inning.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
It's not like Jenks was giving up a ton of soft hits. I'll tip my cap to our relievers, when they got hit, they got hit very hard.

There were a few times he got dinked and dunked. But for the most part, when he gave it up it was how hard could they crush it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
Unlucky? It was that high because he was routinely getting hammered.

I'll admit, I'm conflicted on this one...yes, his BABIP is abnormally high and they're supposed to regress to the mean, and yes, closers automatically have a small sample size, but BS isn't wrong here. Hell, one of the things people talk about with BABIP is that it can be screwed with by bad defense, and even that couldn't save Jenks.

He'll probably be somewhat better next year if brought back just off of the statistics, but unless he gets his head wrapped around how to pitch, I don't think I'd want to hand him the closer's spot in the AL again, because I think he'll still wind up iffy.