Bobby Jenks to the Red Sox

Pale Sox

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
So I'm guessing Papelbon's getting traded.

Because Bobby as anything but a closer would be scary.

Who's in the market for an $11-12 million dollar a year closer coming off a down season 1 year away from free agency?

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)
Who's in the market for an $11-12 million dollar a year closer coming off a down season 1 year away from free agency?

Nobody comes to mind. But if Boston thinks they can use Jenks as an 8th inning guy, they might be thinking the wrong way.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
Nobody comes to mind. But if Boston thinks they can use Jenks as an 8th inning guy, they might be thinking the wrong way.

If he knows that's his role, he'll be fine. It's when you're prepared and used to closing throughout a season and when you know there is nothing on the line that you lose focus. Inclose games when he knows it's his job to get to the closer, he'll keep his focus and be fine.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
Too bad we already traded Linebrink because that would have been a nice bad contract for bad contract swap.

Except the BoSox don't have to pay him if they don't want to, whereas we did have to pay Linebrink.

Papelbon is probably worth something decent at that number, especially come the deadline. Much more than just having to accept a bad contract.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
Except the BoSox don't have to pay him if they don't want to, whereas we did have to pay Linebrink.

Papelbon is probably worth something decent at that number, especially come the deadline. Much more than just having to accept a bad contract.

I've read that Papelbon is looking for something to the tune of 5 years and 75 million in FA. Good luck with that. I wouldn't touch him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
Over the top Red Sox fans remind me a hell of a lot of the Ohio State football fanbase. Completely irrational.

You're right. I live in Columbus and am an OSU fan and I can't stand about 90% of them. Pittsburgh Steeler football fans are right there with them.

I think Jenks is going to do well in Boston. His health is the main concern. If he's healthy, he'll be good.I think he was criticzed way too much around here,just like I think Teahen is, but everyplace has their whipping boys and there's nothing wronfg with that. Guys are going to have bad stretches that happens. Overall Jenks was very good.

This is a classic Red Sox/Bill James type move.

The numbers on Jenks last year say that his fastball was still there but he got hit hard. Yet, he got hit hard by a high BABIP, one of those numbers that supposedly comes out random.

Everyone who actually watched the Sox saw him just unable to focus whenever he came in as anything but the closer, and on top of that, punctuated closing performaces with stinkers like the one that killed our season against Minnesota. But the number say he wasn't as bad as the guy we saw on the mound.

I wouldn't want him back at this price after what I endured last year, but if the Red Sox want to believe the numbers will even out, more power to them.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
If he's not a closer, he'll be roasted alive in Boston. He's one of those guys that needs to shut the door.

But, best of luck to the Big Guy. I wish we could have kept him, but he was getting to pricey to deal with his shakiness.

I will say when he came up in 2005 and closing was not his role, he was just fine. That was the last time setting up wasn't his job. It will be interesting to see if he knows he has no chance at closing, if he can change his mentality towards setting up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
I will say when he came up in 2005 and closing was not his role, he was just fine. That was the last time setting up wasn't his job. It will be interesting to see if he knows he has no chance at closing, if he can change his mentality towards setting up.

I think everyone will universally agree he had much better raw stuff at that point in 2005 though. 102 mph fastballs, for example.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
You do that.

And I'll take the same sports discussion I have had with all kinds of their fans, what I have read in their newspapers and on their message boards, the numerous games I watch on television via ESPN and the Extra Innings package and NESN, the articles on national and local websites, the interviews of former players and coaches, logic, reason, past history, pop culture, and we'll just agree to disagree.

Ah yes, attacking my intelligence because my personal experiences are different than yours. I had forgotten why I disliked you, but thanks for the reminder.