Jake Peavy Thread

justBLAZE

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
I agree. It's very surprising that he has a game schedule already. I just hope they are cautious with him, but if he's ready for the April 9th start, that would be great. That's when the Sox will need a 5th starter for the first time. I hope they give him that extra week, and if he gets hurt, he gets hurt. It'll either happen in a Sox uniform or a Charlotte uniform, so they might as well go for it.

I couldn't agree with this more, hell, he could get hurt in a side session. If docs say he's ok, and Jake says he feels ok, put him on the mound... Just pull him early while he gets his strength up. 4 innings of a good Jake Peavy is better than 4 innings of bad AAAA scrubs.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
I agree. It's very surprising that he has a game schedule already. I just hope they are cautious with him, but if he's ready for the April 9th start, that would be great. That's when the Sox will need a 5th starter for the first time. I hope they give him that extra week, and if he gets hurt, he gets hurt. It'll either happen in a Sox uniform or a Charlotte uniform, so they might as well go for it.

Remember the injury is healed. There is no longer a problem with the attachment of the lat. It was re-attached and probably still has an anchor there. The only thing he needs to do is build strength. He is starting at a weaker point in the muscles than the other pitchers. So there is no surprise that he is going to pitch soon. In fact to continue to build strength in the muscle they may have him pitch more.

The glitch or expected problem that will happen is in strength and soreness from building the muscle not from the muscle re-attachment.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
Remember the injury is healed. There is no longer a problem with the attachment of the lat. It was re-attached and probably still has an anchor there. The only thing he needs to do is build strength. He is starting at a weaker point in the muscles than the other pitchers. So there is no surprise that he is going to pitch soon. In fact to continue to build strength in the muscle they may have him pitch more.

The glitch or expected problem that will happen is in strength and soreness from building the muscle not from the muscle re-attachment.

I'm not really thinking about the lat injury. I'm just wondering what's next with Peavy. Will it be the shoulder? Will it be the elbow? I just think it's always going to be something with this guy. So if he's pain free and at the 100-pitch threshold by April 1, turn him loose and see what happens.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
I hope they focus on a solid base of long toss before he cranks it up on the mound.

Not only has this been the focus since November, but I believe there will be a lot more of this happening in his pre-start routine...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
I hope they focus on a solid base of long toss before he cranks it up on the mound.

Long toss is the standard strengthening program before they hit the mound and in between starts. He's been doing it for a couple of months and continues to do it on the side.

ptatc, Do you think that Peavy will be the same pitcher he was before the ankle injury, or do you think that he could permanently lose velocity and bite on his breaking balls from this injury? I know that there is no precedent in major league pitchers as has been said many times, but based on the injury, what muscles are affected, and the repair process, would you consider this injury closer to a "typical" shoulder injury for a pitcher, which is usually accompanied by a great loss of "stuff" or would you consider this to be closer to a non pitching muscle tear? I know you have probably gone over this before, but could you refresh my memory? If anyone remembers what ptatc said in July about this issue, please tell me, because I don't remember.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 04:39 PM)
ptatc, Do you think that Peavy will be the same pitcher he was before the ankle injury, or do you think that he could permanently lose velocity and bite on his breaking balls from this injury? I know that there is no precedent in major league pitchers as has been said many times, but based on the injury, what muscles are affected, and the repair process, would you consider this injury closer to a "typical" shoulder injury for a pitcher, which is usually accompanied by a great loss of "stuff" or would you consider this to be closer to a non pitching muscle tear? I know you have probably gone over this before, but could you refresh my memory? If anyone remembers what ptatc said in July about this issue, please tell me, because I don't remember.

Are you referring to his ankle (foot) injury he had when the sox acquired him or his current shoulder injury?

If it's the current shoulder problem, the actual injury shouldn't be a long term thing. The lat is not a muscle that really effects the stability of the shoulder like the rotator cuff muscles. It's mostly an accelerator muscle during the throwing phase with a little deceleration activity and the very end of the motion. It's the overall throwing motion changes that he must deal with. Can he be effective with the necessary mechanical changes? He drops down to get more movement on his pitches but it isn't mechanically sound so it will be a big change for him.

The foot problem he had is an interesting problem. He had a posterior tibialis tendonosis. This muscle and tendon are largely responsible for maintaining the arch in your foot when you put weight on it. Could he be standing straighter and not following through properly due to a fear of putting full weight on his foot? It's possible. All reports say that he is no longer having problems with it. However, there is always the mental part of injuries. The tendon in reference goes through your tarsal tunnel and can cause problem with your tibial nerve and subsequent plantar nerves. This cause an electric shock through the bottom of the foot. It is extremely painful and makes someone think twice before putting weight on it.

An interesting dilemma but probably not the reason for the mechanical flaws of his as I've heard from others that he has always had some odd bits to his motion.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 06:07 PM)
Are you referring to his ankle (foot) injury he had when the sox acquired him or his current shoulder injury?

If it's the current shoulder problem, the actual injury shouldn't be a long term thing. The lat is not a muscle that really effects the stability of the shoulder like the rotator cuff muscles. It's mostly an accelerator muscle during the throwing phase with a little deceleration activity and the very end of the motion. It's the overall throwing motion changes that he must deal with. Can he be effective with the necessary mechanical changes? He drops down to get more movement on his pitches but it isn't mechanically sound so it will be a big change for him.

The foot problem he had is an interesting problem. He had a posterior tibialis tendonosis. This muscle and tendon are largely responsible for maintaining the arch in your foot when you put weight on it. Could he be standing straighter and not following through properly due to a fear of putting full weight on his foot? It's possible. All reports say that he is no longer having problems with it. However, there is always the mental part of injuries. The tendon in reference goes through your tarsal tunnel and can cause problem with your tibial nerve and subsequent plantar nerves. This cause an electric shock through the bottom of the foot. It is extremely painful and makes someone think twice before putting weight on it.

An interesting dilemma but probably not the reason for the mechanical flaws of his as I've heard from others that he has always had some odd bits to his motion.

If we had a Like button, I'd probably push the the damn thing almost every time you post.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 06:07 PM)

I was referring to Peavy's current shoulder injury, the ankle injury was just a reference to the pitcher he was before he tore the ankle tendon. I was wondering about the fact that Peavy said he altered his mechanics in Sept. 2009 to compensate and had some bad habits that carried over into 2010 may have contributed to this injury. Peavy has not had the same velocity or bite to his pitches that he had in San Diego since he has been a member of the White Sox. I was wondering if the the lat injury or the combination of the two injuries may have permanently changed Peavy's stuff.

Thanks.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
I was referring to Peavy's current shoulder injury, the ankle injury was just a reference to the pitcher he was before he tore the ankle tendon. I was wondering about the fact that Peavy said he altered his mechanics in Sept. 2009 to compensate and had some bad habits that carried over into 2010 may have contributed to this injury. Peavy has not had the same velocity or bite to his pitches that he had in San Diego since he has been a member of the White Sox. I was wondering if the the lat injury or the combination of the two injuries may have permanently changed Peavy's stuff.

Thanks.

Like I said before. Physically he will be fine. It's the altered mechanics and how he deals with it that will determine if he can be as effective as before the injuries. He got more bite on his pitches by changing the arm angle. The sox are going to discourage this like they tried at the beginning of last year. He didn't care for it much so the early part of the year should be interesting.

Really excited to hear JFP is right on or ahead of schedule. I really hope he can have a normal career and give us some qulaity pitching but time will tell. I am concerned as we all probably are about his motion and how he can even alter it without it affecting his delivery. I guess we will see.

Think about this: Jake Peavy has been a member of the White Sox organization for 573 days now and he's made a grand total of 20 starts. Crazy.

Another fun fact: his WHIP and win percentage are better in a Sox uniform than in a Padres uni. AND his peripherals are nearly identical aside from his K/9 being down a full SO from his San Diego days.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 12:05 AM)
Think about this: Jake Peavy has been a member of the White Sox organization for 573 days now and he's made a grand total of 20 starts. Crazy.

Another fun fact: his WHIP and win percentage are better in a Sox uniform than in a Padres uni. AND his peripherals are nearly identical aside from his K/9 being down a full SO from his San Diego days.

Aren't there months of offseason days in that 573 days figure...? How many in-season days (considering every 5th day) does that really represent? I mean I know the guy has been injured, but...

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 11:45 PM)
Really excited to hear JFP is right on or ahead of schedule. I really hope he can have a normal career and give us some qulaity pitching but time will tell. I am concerned as we all probably are about his motion and how he can even alter it without it affecting his delivery. I guess we will see.

He seems to be way ahead of any predicted schedule. But again, this is rather unprecedented in MLB terms. The guy has always been in great shape and he is only 29 years old.

People talk as if he's 35 or something.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 12:38 AM)
Aren't there months of offseason days in that 573 days figure...? How many in-season days (considering every 5th day) does that really represent? I mean I know the guy has been injured, but...

He's been a member of the White Sox organization since July 31st 2009. A pitcher averages about 5.33 starts a month, so Peavy would have made roughly 11 starts in 2009 and 32 starts in 2010. Instead, he made 3 and 17, so he's made 20 of 43 starts. That is not a good percentage.

The bottom line is that he needs to stay healthy this year. Hopefully the work ethic and the big talk come to fruition and he wins a Cy Young. That'd be all right.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 12:45 AM)
He's been a member of the White Sox organization since July 31st 2009. A pitcher averages about 5.33 starts a month, so Peavy would have made roughly 11 starts in 2009 and 32 starts in 2010. Instead, he made 3 and 17, so he's made 20 of 43 starts. That is not a good percentage.

The bottom line is that he needs to stay healthy this year. Hopefully the work ethic and the big talk come to fruition and he wins a Cy Young. That'd be all right.

No doubt. I think he's on his way to a nice season. PECOTA loves him for 2011...

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 01:08 AM)
didn't see this posted, but there's a good chance i probably missed it if it was

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_...18&c_id=mlb

long story short: same mechanics. his follow through doesn't have exactly the same 'whip' motion until later in the video where he does it

Great find. Yeah, I give up trying to figure out why he's not adjusting his mechanics but I know if he HAD to he's gonna do it. So, I'm assuming it's OK with the team.

The Sox are diligent as hell on that type of thing.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 01:12 AM)
Great find. Yeah, I give up trying to figure out why he's not adjusting his mechanics but I know if he HAD to he's gonna do it. So, I'm assuming it's OK with the team.

The Sox are diligent as hell on that type of thing.

That's what concerns me. The guy has done it with those same mechanics and has had a tremendous amount of success doing it that way his entire career. To tell the guy at 29 that he has to significantly alter those mechanics isn't going to be easy. Hell, he could make a mega effort to change them and then just by force of habit revert back to those prior mechanics and another major injury could occur. Guess what I'm saying is that no matter how Scott Merikiney the White Sox want to be when discussing Peavy, he's going to be high-risk from this point on.

The Sox are hands down better than any team at keeping their guys healthy - when our guys go down, it's usually a freak occurrence - I'm going to trust the Sox to handle this.

I'm also planning on JFP being ready for opening day until I hear a reason that he won't.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 01:34 AM)
That's what concerns me. The guy has done it with those same mechanics and has had a tremendous amount of success doing it that way his entire career. To tell the guy at 29 that he has to significantly alter those mechanics isn't going to be easy. Hell, he could make a mega effort to change them and then just by force of habit revert back to those prior mechanics and another major injury could occur. Guess what I'm saying is that no matter how Scott Merikiney the White Sox want to be when discussing Peavy, he's going to be high-risk from this point on.

I still don't think his normal mechanics are too bad. They aren't perfect but no one model of mechanics takes everything into account. It's his tendency to want to drop down and gain more movement that is worrisome. If he stays with his "normal" mechanics, I think he will be fine. It's when he gets into that drop down mode similar to Conteras, that the Sox need to worry.