2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
Hearing about the kids work ethic and attention span, banking on large improvement is dicey. Those kind of guys can hit a wall very easily.

I agree if you're lazy when you are making minimum and are 20-21 years old, chances are you are only going to get lazier as you get older and make more money.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
Hearing about the kids work ethic and attention span, banking on large improvement is dicey. Those kind of guys can hit a wall very easily.

That is precisely what I meant.

I never saw any real promise in Corey Patterson or Felix Pie, just "hope." I do see "promise" in Castro, yet I have little hope.

I guess we'll see what his ceiling is when he hits the wall.

Or something like that.

QUOTE (SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
That is precisely what I meant.

I never saw any real promise in Corey Patterson or Felix Pie, just "hope." I do see "promise" in Castro, yet I have little hope.

I guess we'll see what his ceiling is when he hits the wall.

Or something like that.

To be fair, Patterson was a beast in '03 until he got hurt - which led to the acquisition of Kenny Lofton. So there was definitely something there that ultimately didn't last.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
To be fair, Patterson was a beast in '03 until he got hurt - which led to the acquisition of Kenny Lofton. So there was definitely something there that ultimately didn't last.

But no one looks back on Patterson and says "boy, if only he didn't get hurt..." Getting injured didn't destroy his career, not being a good hitter did.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
But no one looks back on Patterson and says "boy, if only he didn't get hurt..." Getting injured didn't destroy his career, not being a good hitter did.

And once again that's not what I implied. The original promise that many had for him as a prospect was on full display during the '03 season. Whatever happened after that is moot. But for a little while, there was something there.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
And once again that's not what I implied. The original promise that many had for him as a prospect was on full display during the '03 season.

And as one might have expected...he put up a .353 BABIP in the process. Same strikeout rate as the next year, worse walk rate in fact.

JeffPassan Jeff Passan

Heard the same thing a few times now: If Tom Ricketts gives Tim Wilken a long-term deal, a lot of prospective Cubs GMs will sour quickly.

JeffPassan Jeff Passan

This is not an indictment on Wilken, the Cubs' scouting director. It's more on a new GM's desire to shape a team and hire his own

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
I heard it's one of the best 30 for 30 episodes. I do agree that he got way too much blame. Gonzalez, Alou, Dusty, Prior/Wood all deserve blame too, and plus there was a game 7.

It's technically not a 30 for 30 anymore. It's now ESPN Films.

Alan Sepinwall's review has me excited to watch it. Was going to DVR but watch tomorrow but may watch tonight instead.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-wat...h-catching-hell

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)

That guy seems like an asshole. Gave his wife a black eye trying to get a foul ball? When asked his name, he gives his friend's name to the reporters? Kinda wish he had been the one instead of Bartman.