2011 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twins probably shouldn't have traded Ramos (especially for freakin' Matt Capps). If they were to move Mauer out of the C position, his immediate replacement would be the great .200 hitting Drew Butera.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
Twins probably shouldn't have traded Ramos (especially for freakin' Matt Capps). If they were to move Mauer out of the C position, his immediate replacement would be the great .200 hitting Drew Butera.

The Twins would never trade a top prospect for a reliever! Only kenny would do that! :lolhitting

A couple of points. No, there was no serios attempt to fix any of the glaring holes in the roster in the off season. Morneau had a debilitating concussion which is obviously still affexting him.Mauer is what many of us said he was, an injury prone singles hitter. Cuddyer looks silly. Casilla should be parking cars somewhers. Capps wasn't very good last year, and Nathan's arm exploded and will not return. The Twinks are on a pace to win 47 games this year. Maybe we should go for the record of fewest wins to give us something to look forward to. And as long as the Twins fill up that publicly built stadium every game, there is no incentive to make the changes in coaching and players needed to improve the team.

posted by mrspock on Apr. 16, 11 at 10:22 PM | 8 of 10 people liked this comment. Do you?

The Twins have one more victory than the best team put together by any general manager in a long time. Good god, people, come off the ledge. The Twins had to deal with a brutal early schedule following an unusual spring training. There will be more trial and error, but I kinda gotta a feeling that Kansas City and Cleveland won't run away with the Central before Gardy gets things stabilized.

posted by snoebird on Apr. 16, 11 at 10:24 PM | 3 of 23 people liked this comment. Do you?

All I see here is complaining and gnashing of teeth...well let me remind you all, Rome wasn't built in a day! I trust the Twins' top brass know what they're doing, and as I recall, Mr. Gardenhire was the Most Valuable Manager last year, so we just have to count on their guidance through rough waters.

posted by lloyd55423 on Apr. 16, 11 at 10:25 PM | 3 of 22 people liked this comment. Do you?

many posted before the season wondering if Gardy would let pitchers go 110-120. The answer is No!! Pavano sets em down 1-2-3 in the 8th after throwing only 104. Baker sets em down 1-2-3 in the 7th after throwing only 96. No matter, the game no longer belongs to the starter, but to the Mgr, and I dont pay one dime to see a Mgr trot out and jerk pitchers who are doing well. I can see pulling em after they toss 118 or so if they are starting to show wear, but not in "Gardyland".

posted by nomas1 on Apr. 16, 11 at 10:26 PM | 11 of 13 people liked this comment. Do you?

One other thing. Don't be surprised if Nathan comes down with "bilateral weakness" also. It's a good excuse to sit a player and let them clear their head out to see if they really can play here.

posted by mrspock on Apr. 16, 11 at 10:27 PM | 5 of 7 people liked this comment. Do you?

Baker sets 9 straight down and get's yanked, nice! Hey Gardy how is that whole pitch to contact thing working for ya? Actually it might work ok if the contact didn't go 400 feet.Also team is picked to win the division, star player is banged up,people basically take training camp off,lose heartbreakers,start terrbile, haven't we seen this before,like last fall?

posted by cooper227 on Apr. 16, 11 at 10:40 PM | 6 of 8 people liked this comment. Do you?

The worthless manager loses at least 15 games a year for the Twins by his inept ability to make a correct decision. After 10 years of the same old same old it is SO time for a change in thinking which can only be accomplished by moving Mr. Gardenhire out the door. Well, this is only if the homer fan base really wants to field a winning team. I do not think the Twins homer fan base requires the Twins to win beyond winning the hapless AL Central division.

posted by saldoman on Apr. 16, 11 at 10:42 PM | 13 of 16 people liked this comment. Do you?

13 of 16 people liked this comment

It's pretty difficult to lose an entire season in April but I think these clowns have managed to do it. I've never had any love for the current Twins make-up from the ownership, GM, Manager, coaching staff, and most of the players, least of which is little Jo-Jo (Mauer). It's hard having the Baby-Jesus on your favorite team. I've mostly hated this overrated collection the last 10 years. That's what getting pounded in the first round of the playoff consistently will do to you. The hate and bile for this team is brimming over the top at this point. If I thought that if they would lose over 100 games and a result the GM and Manager would get fired for it I would root for that to happen, but sadly I think the only way the GM and Manager would get replaced for 2012 would be if they both dropped over dead between now and next April. Sure is a nice ballpark though, but it's just not enough. Sure am glad I like to golf.

startribune.com/sports

And to think, this is the same team and front office that was a coin toss away from winning 7 division titles in 9 years.

Funny, someone mentioned their beer prices are 2nd in either the majors or American League. I find that pretty amazing for a second-tier market, even with a new stadium and coming off playoff appearances the last 2 seasons.

That was an interesting read about the Twins and how the fans are reacting Caufield. But the Twins have had numerous slow starts to start the year. Then they kick it into gear after the All-Star break. Is it going to be that way this year? Who knows but we all have to assume that the Twins will right their ship and get rolling eventually and it could be soon.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
No.

I'll give them til June. They will have played enough sample to know if they're good.

Sometimes teams don't get respect until they're actually good.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 09:22 AM)
I'll give them til June. They will have played enough sample to know if they're good.

Sometimes teams don't get respect until they're actually good.

Think back to San Diego last year, or Kansas City in 03. Sometimes teams can make a good run, despite a lack of ready talent.