Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
Ozzie mentioned Humber, Marquez or Pena for taking his place during today's game.

Marquez has pitched well enough that I wouldn't mind terribly giving him one start, even if most of his work has been in B-games.

There is nothing wrong with giving ANYONE two to three starts in April and making sure JFP is ready to go in late April, as long as this is normal soreness I don't think it calls for anyone freaking out right now. Realistically with his come back schedule May 1 seemed more realistic anyways. One thing I haven't seen ANYONE ask JFP is if he has truly "let it go" 100% in ST.

Has anyone seen him asked this?

I'd like to know, my guess is he hasn't fully "let it go" until maybe his last start and it's just a bit of soreness from going full speed. Just being optimistic but seeing him in late April healthy is no problem with me. My guess is at worse we go 1-2 in the 3 starts he misses and that won't cost us the season....

http://twitter.com/MDGonzales

Oz says Peavy won't pitch Thurs

"Jake peavy will pitch when I tell him to pitch."

Ozzie definitely doesn't count on injured players. Once they're out of site, they are out of mind.

I got real optimistic yesterday when Peavy threw 83 pitches. Today has made me go back to not expecting anything from him. Could he come back soon and be productive? Sure, but I'm done counting on it. I think Ozzie is in that same category.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)
http://twitter.com/MDGonzales

Ozzie definitely doesn't count on injured players. Once they're out of site, they are out of mind.

I got real optimistic yesterday when Peavy threw 83 pitches. Today has made me go back to not expecting anything from him. Could he come back soon and be productive? Sure, but I'm done counting on it. I think Ozzie is in that same category.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 06:23 PM)
Humber to pitch Thursday, confirmed by Coop.

I suppose something like this was to be expected - he's just not in shape yet, and it isn't even the injury. This is probably better off for the long run anyway - slow him down, let him get up to speed gradually, Humber starts 3-4 games, then Peavy shows up fully loose and ready.

A little disappointing, but not a huge setback either.

But the question is, is this injury the start of an even more serious shoulder injury than the lat injury such as a rotator cuff tear, which would basically be a kiss of death to a pitcher's velocity? Any time I see the words "injury" and "rotator cuff" for a pitcher I immediately think that guy might be done soon as an effective pitcher.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
But the question is, is this injury the start of an even more serious shoulder injury than the lat injury such as a rotator cuff tear, which would basically be a kiss of death to a pitcher's velocity? Any time I see the words "injury" and "rotator cuff" for a pitcher I immediately think that guy might be done soon as an effective pitcher.

Obviously that's different - and it could be that, I have no idea. I'm just saying that, for a guy who couldn't pitch or throw or even walk much for an extended period, you really have to expect something to get a little tweaked in ST. If he hadn't, I'd have been shocked - I was surprised it happened this late. But you are right that what is expected, COULD be masking something more serious. We'll probably know in a couple weeks.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 06:53 PM)
Obviously that's different - and it could be that, I have no idea. I'm just saying that, for a guy who couldn't pitch or throw or even walk much for an extended period, you really have to expect something to get a little tweaked in ST. If he hadn't, I'd have been shocked - I was surprised it happened this late. But you are right that what is expected, COULD be masking something more serious. We'll probably know in a couple weeks.

Yeah, and I hope that it is just soreness from the muscle atrophy that ptatc was talking about earlier. Again, anytime I see injury and rotator cuff in the same sentence for a pitcher my eyebrows raise. I hope he can chime in on this one.

QUOTE (since56 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 07:00 PM)
Mark Prior, oops! I mean Jake Peavy comes back when he can and goes into the bullpen until we can dump him on another desperate for pitching team.

First of all, his contract makes him impossible to "dump."

Secondly, I suppose if we want to hurt his value and completely mindf*** him, we can do that.

The tendonitits is most likely a result of everything being weak from the layoff after the surgery and the strength building. This is also the set back I'm sure the medical team said was coming because they have no idea how soon the strength would return. It's something that they were expecting in one from or another. It was probably made worse by pitching in such a weakened state the other day. Even if he misses a start or two it's the mid to late April return which is why everyone was predicting the later return.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
The tendonitits is most likely a result of everything being weak from the layoff after the surgery and the strength building. This is also the set back I'm sure the medical team said was coming because they have no idea how soon the strength would return. It's something that they were expecting in one from or another. It was probably made worse by pitching in such a weakened state the other day. Even if he misses a start or two it's the mid to late April return which is why everyone was predicting the later return.

Everything you post always makes me feel better about the situation.

QUOTE (since56 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 07:00 PM)
Mark Prior, oops! I mean Jake Peavy comes back when he can and goes into the bullpen until we can dump him on another desperate for pitching team.

The big difference between Prior and Peavy is that Prior wouldn't pitch when everyone told him they couldn't find anything wrong. Peavy on the other hand pushes through problems and can make it worse.

While I understand the perception of often injured pitchers, comparing the two is really an insult.