Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Pe...?urn=mlb-342597

Peavy feels "normal" after rehab start

By Mark J. Miller

Jake Peavy(notes) is a three-time All-Star, a former Cy Young winner, and the owner of 1,459 strikeouts in the majors since he joined the league with the San Diego Padres back in 2002. Not too shabby. So when he says he's feeling "normal," that's a pretty good thing.

Traded to the Chicago White Sox in 2009, Peavy is now working his way back from surgery last July and said he felt "normal" after his first rehab start Friday with the Charlotte Knights, the Chicago Tribune reports.

"The word he used is 'normal,' and I don't know if there could be a better word than normal," Sox pitching coach Don Cooper said, according to the Trib. "He's coming along nicely."

Peavy's next start with Charlotte is Wednesday and he'll pitch a bullpen session before the White Sox take on the Oakland Athletics Monday night.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kapzk @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 12:12 AM)
ppl tend to forget that this guy was the best pitcher in the league not too long ago ... give him a chance to prove himself.

The first part is quite debatable, but I do agree wholeheartedly with the second point. I also tend to side with the school of thought that there's a large difference between being injury prone and players like Mark Prior or Carlos Guillen who are constantly injuring the same parts over and over because those parts can't stay healthy. I think once Peavy gets healthy, he's going to be a really good pitcher for the White Sox. It's a matter of getting him to 100%, or at the very least, ~95% while letting him work incrementally up to 100% as the season progresses.

looks like he's done for the night... so another 72 pitch outing ... not really a gain/progress from his last start (he didnt get through 6 innings however, more than his last outing). Anyone think they should have sent him for one more inning? Or is it okay to just keep slow rather than push him?

Some1 just tweeted that he apparently he went into the bullpen to get a little more work done

Edited by kapzk

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 08:43 PM)
I think 72 pitches is ok. No idea where his velocity is at. I think he's going to have 2 more rehab outings, and then he'll be up around the 29th. Home vs Baltimore for a return?

Hmm you think so .. i think they may want him to put in two 100 pitch outings b4 being back up, which then means he will be up around the first week of May (I think Cooper said May 3rd was one of his pitching dates)

It could be early May, but I'm assuming it's 80 pitches tonight. 90 next time on the 18th. 100 pitches on the 23rd in the minors. And then it's a go on the 29th vs Baltimore.

Isn't there a limit on the amount of time on a rehab assignment?

Edited by flavum

"Peavy will start on the 18th and 23rd. If he hits 100 pitches both times, he could be back for that Baltimore home game April 29" (twitter via scottmerkin)

I dunno if he can reach up to 100 on his next try maybe he can, he did pitch 72 today in the game and also threw in the bullpen (so in total maybe he threw some where between 80-90 today)

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...-back-soon.html

An optimistic Jake Peavy is hoping to be on the mound by the end of the month, perhaps when the White Sox return home April 29 to face the Baltimore Orioles.

‘‘I don’t know when they’ll slot me in,’’ he said after throwing on the side Saturday at U.S. Cellular Field. ‘‘I’m excited to pitch again but at ease with the plan. I’m at peace with what they want me to do.’’

Peavy’s next outing will be Monday, and the plan is for him to pitch 90-95 pitches for Class AA Birmingham. He plans to pitch again Saturday, ‘‘and I want to push it to 100-plus,’’ he said. ‘‘That would be like a normal start. I always wanted to get to 110 pitches by the end of spring training in the past.’’

Peavy will remain with the Birmingham team near his home and rejoin the Sox in New York at the end of the road trip.

‘‘Normal is a good word to describe it,’’ he said of how he feels. ‘‘I feel I’m coming out of spring training and starting to get a good feel for my pitches, and stronger. We pushed it a little in spring — it’s no one’s fault. We were just anxious.’’

Peavy said pitching again less than a year after his surgery last July to repair a torn lat is a credit to his medical team and trainers.

‘‘I have to give credit to the doctors and [trainer Herm Schneider] and everyone involved. Dr. [Tony] Romeo thought if I came back before July it would be remarkable. It speaks highly to the work they

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 08:32 PM)
Focus should be on 2012 for Peavy. Seems this year is pushing it

It depends on what this problem is. Sitting around isn't going to make it better. People are mad he pushed it, but you have to push it somewhat or you won't get better. He went too far initially. Maybe this went too far as well, or maybe its something minor. I don't think there's any in between with this injury. Its either something that will set him back a week or two, or something pretty major.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 08:36 PM)
He threw 15 pitches got lit up and left the game with discomfort. He will be evaluated tomorrow.

Oh my goodness. f*** Peavy. They're going to have to do this thing without him. I'm no longer going to check this thread for any bulls*** updates talking about how Peavy is right on schedule. It's futile. This guy is toast. This is our payback for reveling in all Wood/Prior injuries.