Build Around Phil Humber

Marty34

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he only had 4 or 5 K's.

I've seen him more dominant with his fastball moving a bit more and racking up massive K numbers with his curveball, but to have gun readings in the 100's in the 9th inning of a no-hitter is pretty unreal. He was more economical with his pitches and less concerned than when he came up with striking out everyone in sight.

You could see him huffing and puffing, the adrenaline was really flowing.

Undo the Danks/McCarthy trade!!!!

Joking...sort of.

McCarthy has really changed mechanically. He's still throwing 92-93 MPH, but his arm angle is a lot closer to 3/4's or 4/5th's and he's totally reversed himself from a flyball, high in the strikezone pitcher to one a lot more similar to Jon Garland.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Wanne @ May 26, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
I'm gonna take a stab here...but Humber's a keeper maybe huh?

60 IP, which if you divide by a fair 7IP/start is near 9 starts worth

i'd say the sample size is good enough to predict what his year will be like if they keep him in the rotation

do i trust this organization to not f*** this up? nope.

Jackson's the one who needs to head to the pen, IMO. He's the one who most frequently stresses our pen anyway by not going deep into games. We also don't have as many compelling reasons to keep Edwin "happy", as he's the one most likely to NOT be here next season.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 27, 2011 -> 07:47 AM)
Jackson's the one who needs to head to the pen, IMO. He's the one who most frequently stresses our pen anyway by not going deep into games. We also don't have as many compelling reasons to keep Edwin "happy", as he's the one most likely to NOT be here next season.

Jackson has pitched 61 1/3 innings. Gavin, Mark, and John have all been at 66 or 67.

Let's not get crazy here.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 27, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)

Honestly, I'd rather trade Jackson then move him to the pen. We have no idea how he'd be in the role, plus you'd be diminishing his value rather quickly. I'd try to move him for a reliever and a prospect.

Having said that, I'd keep this six man rotation going for another month or so before I do anything.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
Honestly, I'd rather trade Jackson then move him to the pen. We have no idea how he'd be in the role, plus you'd be diminishing his value rather quickly. I'd try to move him for a reliever and a prospect.

Having said that, I'd keep this six man rotation going for another month or so before I do anything.

I'd rather keep him and see what he can give us in the bullpen and then get a draft pick for him. You probably won't get much for him in a trade now anyways.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
I'd rather keep him and see what he can give us in the bullpen and then get a draft pick for him. You probably won't get much for him in a trade now anyways.

Two things. First, starting pitching is always in demand. If I was the GM for a team with a deep bullpen, I'd easily trade an arm and a B prospect for a pitcher like Jackson. You'd be getting a compensation pick in the offseason to replace the prospect and the SP would most likely have a much larger impact than the RP.

Second, if you move Jackson to the bullpen, how will it affect his compensation type? Would it be possilbe he falls from being a type B player and we don't get a pick. I don't know how switching from the rotation to the bullpen would affect this.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
Two things. First, starting pitching is always in demand. If I was the GM for a team with a deep bullpen, I'd easily trade an arm and a B prospect for a pitcher like Jackson. You'd be getting a compensation pick in the offseason to replace the prospect and the SP would most likely have a much larger impact than the RP.

That team is also taking on salary, so that'll hurt his value a bit, and he's a starting pitcher who should be losing his job. That doesn't exactly scream value, he'll have some but teams don't necessarily want projects when it comes to competing down the stretch.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 27, 2011 -> 07:50 AM)
Jackson has pitched 61 1/3 innings. Gavin, Mark, and John have all been at 66 or 67.

Let's not get crazy here.

Not getting crazy, but if we ARE going back to a 5 man rotation, does anyone make more sense than Edwin? I suppose an argument could be made for Danks, but he's got a better chance to be part of the plan long-term, and a demotion could be a problem in that regard.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 27, 2011 -> 08:05 AM)

I wouldn't mind that either, depending on the value he'll have to some team, obviously.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
That team is also taking on salary, so that'll hurt his value a bit, and he's a starting pitcher who should be losing his job. That doesn't exactly scream value, he'll have some but teams don't necessarily want projects when it comes to competing down the stretch.

The salary could affect his value depending on the team, but if we were to take back a reliever it would help offset some of it.

As for losing his job, it's only happening because we are six deep, it's not like he's being removed because he's been bad. He's just been the worse of the bunch.

Also, I don't know how you can call him a project. He's been hit or miss, but he's still got a 4.26 ERA with top of the rotation stuff. Plenty of teams would love to have him, even if he has some issues. Obviously, I have no idea what his value is right now, but I'd least see what's out there for him before I just move him to the bullpen.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 7, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
My view of Ramirez is he's a complimentary player, nothing special.

Disagree. By a country mile.

You don't have SSs who can hit over .280, get double digit HRs and play stellar SS day in and day out on trees.

You either draft them, trade for them or sign them as a UFA/international player.

The White Sox struck gold with him.

He may not be an Albert Pujols-special player, but he's right up there.

I don't know if my post didn't go through, or if it was another thread but....

I think Jackson should be in the bullpen, but not because I think he is the worst starter we have (because he isn't), but because I think he would do the best out of the bullpen, and could be a very special weapon. A guy who throws 99-100, sick movement, 4-5 pitches, and can go multiple innings with ease? Uhmm....yes please.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 28, 2011 -> 01:35 AM)
I don't know if my post didn't go through, or if it was another thread but....

I think Jackson should be in the bullpen, but not because I think he is the worst starter we have (because he isn't), but because I think he would do the best out of the bullpen, and could be a very special weapon. A guy who throws 99-100, sick movement, 4-5 pitches, and can go multiple innings with ease? Uhmm....yes please.

nothing like paying a reliever 8+ million to not close!