2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
i know hindsight is 20/20, but this is why i dislike peeps being opposed to dealing an asset simply because you have that asset under control for many year. its not a good comparison, but seeing this package makes me wonder what we couldve gotten for danks last offseason or two offseasons ago. that is a crazy great package. hoyer and byrnes are building quite a nice little squad in SD. i think Grandal is going to be amazing, my jealousy knows no bounds on this one. i was hoping for grandal more than anything this offseason

Yea. The Reds are my other favorite club, and I'm a bit salty over this. I like Grandal more than Alonso. I'm also a fan of Boxberger. It certainly looks like an overpay, but Latos is indeed a legit top of the rotation piece.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“@NewbergReport: Big winners in Latos deal: Billy Beane, Kenny Williams, Theo Epstein, Alex Anthopoulus.” Indeed. Huge haul - Nightngale

With deals like this, I am hoping KW trades pretty much everyone on the Sox, to bring some fresh young talent.

Konerko is an amazing player but want to see him traded as well. KW needs to build the Sox for 2014 and beyond.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
Writers seem to think opposite from HugeUnit, saying that huge haul is what's gonna take to get pitching this season and all of a sudden Kenny high asking price doesn't seem so high.

That's one less team looking for pitching. It would be different if Danks was under control for several years. What happens when texas lands garza or gio and nats get oswalt or jackson?

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
i know hindsight is 20/20, but this is why i dislike peeps being opposed to dealing an asset simply because you have that asset under control for many year. its not a good comparison, but seeing this package makes me wonder what we couldve gotten for danks last offseason or two offseasons ago. that is a crazy great package. hoyer and byrnes are building quite a nice little squad in SD. i think Grandal is going to be amazing, my jealousy knows no bounds on this one. i was hoping for grandal more than anything this offseason

Hoyer doesn't work for the Padres.

He was there to deliver Theo A-Gon, that's it.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
With deals like this, I am hoping KW trades pretty much everyone on the Sox, to bring some fresh young talent.

Konerko is an amazing player but want to see him traded as well. KW needs to build the Sox for 2014 and beyond.

I'm getting antsy for a trade. Where are the sources with rumors to feed us? It's been too quiet.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
I'm getting antsy for a trade. Where are the sources with rumors to feed us? It's been too quiet.

I was at first. But after this Latos trade, man, I'm expecting severely disappointing returns for Danks and/or Floyd.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
I was at first. But after this Latos trade, man, I expecting severely disappointing returns for Danks and/or Floyd.

Then they shouldn't make a trade for the sake of making a trade.

Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Sale is a major league rotation that can win if everything goes right. If they have a rotation with Axelrod and Stewart, they're not winning. They worry about attendance so why not at least sell a little hope with a pretty good rotation and see where they are in June/July.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)

Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Sale is a major league rotation that can win if everything goes right. If they have a rotation with Axelrod and Stewart, they're not winning. They worry about attendance so why not at least sell a little hope with a pretty good rotation and see where they are in June/July.

They simply waited too long, at least with Danks. Teams aren't giving up these souped up packages for non-elite pitching one year away from FA. I never thought Latos was even available. It just baffles me how so many teams have been able to lock up their elite to all-star caliber young pitchers and the Sox/Danks haven't been able to come to any long-term agreement. I have a feeling we're about to get bent over.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
I have a feeling we're about to get bent over.

Probably. Especially since Kenny still needs to cut payroll. The only fantastic return the Sox are going to get comes from either dealing Sale or Alexei. Neither are likely to be dealt though. (Rightfully so.)

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)

Great post.

It amazes me how so many want to shred the roster just to tag the team as officially "rebuilding."

Shredding the roster will mean more than 10 years of horrible records on the southside.

The team will be out of business by then.

No good attendance figures at the Cell from this point on unless the team is good.

Why do so many people just want young guys who suck on the field?

At least with flavum's plan we COULD win. This team supposedly is built on pitching and home runs anyway.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
Great post.

It amazes me how so many want to shred the roster just to tag the team as officially "rebuilding."

Shredding the roster will mean more than 10 years of horrible records on the southside.

No good attendance figures at the Cell from this point on unless the team is good.

At least with flavum's plan we COULD win. This team supposedly is built on pitching and home runs anyway.

And when they start out 16-24 again you'll be talking about how awful, heartless and overpaid they are and threatening to boycott the gamethreads. You know, like you did all last year.

Great post.

Don't forget that every Sox fan will get cancer, terrorists will blow up USCF, and the Sox finish with the worst record in baseball for the rest of eternity. You know, since we're going with the extreme worst-case scenario here.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
And when they start out 16-24 again you'll be talking about how awful, heartless and overpaid they are and threatening to boycott the gamethreads. You know, like you did all last year.

You did that as well ;)

It would never happen because the values don't matchup at all but Quentin for Grandal makes sense in theory if Josh Byrnes loves Quentin for whatever reason.

Or if Kenny wants to continue with the targeting of specific prospects he likes in exchange for his most valuable, cost controlled trade chips Alexei for Grandal, Bartlett, spect makes sence.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
Yeah, and I don't want the same crap back next year. There's the difference.

Meh - if you say similar things this year - people will still give you crap.

You can only say "*u^* this team I'm done being a white sox fan" so many times before upsetting us folk.

You know the gig ;)

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)
Meh - if you say similar things this year - people will still give you crap.

You can only say "*u^* this team I'm done being a white sox fan" so many times before upsetting us folk.

You know the gig ;)

I won't. As long as there's a new direction and a long-term plan. If the '12 motto is, "Our guys that sucked last year can't possibly suck as bad this year," yes, I will raise hell.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
It depends what the result of losing is. If it is rebulding and building for the future, then it's not a big problem.

I agree. But apparently only 15 fans will show up to the park and will be 62-100 for the next 15 seasons if we go the way of stripping it down in an effort to build it back up.

Great post.

Hanging onto Danks is borderline crazy at this point. Sure you can make an argument about winning/ticket sales, but that's not what you dictated when you traded a cost-controlled Sergio Santos for a AA pitching prospect. Your first move indicated rebuilding. That coupled with no talks of an extension for Danks means you don't plan on him being on the roster after 2012. This is the time you trade Danks and if you feel like you won't compete in the near future you also field offers for Quentin, Konerko, Floyd, Alexei, whoever can bring you a bounty of talent.

If Danks isn't traded before the season starts his trade value will be severely diminished, you then put the burden on yourself to sign him to an extension before the season ends, which is highly unlikely, So he walks in FA and you don't get anything. That's a mismanagement of personnel/value and is enough for GM's to get canned.

The Padres made out like bandits in the Latos trade, maybe that's a good sign. But it doesn't mean s*** unless KW is actively seeking deals and not just throwing out absurd requests, like Banuelos/Montero for Danks, which make other GM's question if he's even serious about moving them.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)

Then trading Sergio is a firing offense.