Who will the #5 starter be in 2013?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Zach Stewart
    • Nestor Molina
    • Hector Santiago
    • Simon Castro
    • Dylan Axelrod

Poll attached. Who ends up as 2013's number five starter behind Danks, Sale, Humber, and Floyd (assuming all four are still here)

1. Zach Stewart has the best opportunity to make a run for the spot this year, as he's already pitched at the MLB level multiple times and needs seasoning in AAA. I'd imagine him on the same pitching schedule as Peavy, ready to go incase of injury. If he can get it this year, he has a chance to hold onto it.

2. Nestor Molina was acquired for the best out pitch in baseball in Sergio Santos. He's yet to pitch at AAA so I don't expect anything more than a September Call-Up this year, but he is currently our second best prospect, behind the guy who made it possible to get him.

3. Hector Santiago, or more accurately, Who The f*** Is Hector Santiago? added a screwball to his arsenal last year, which paired with his low-to-mid 90's fastball kept hitters on their toes. Was very good in his one MLB start.

4. Simon Castro may or may not be Jose Contreras's son. I know nothing else other than he;s was once highly touted and got hammered at AAA, but profiles as a classic Coop project.

5. Dylan Axelrod is old compared to the rest of the these guys, but he looked good in his few starts for the team at the end of the year. Seems like the "Not a lot of talent, but will maximize all of it" type.

Vote!

I'm going with Stewart, as I think he claims the spot this year.

Edited by Quinarvy

From my knowledge of Simon Castro based on my research for fantasy baseball, as he was one of my personal top prospects before his bad 2011 season, I think Simon Castro's future is in the bullpen.

I can honestly see a set-up/closer tandem of Castro/Reed or Reed/Castro in 2013 or 2014.

Molina - Should be better than #5

Stewart - Should end up a good pen arm

Santiago - Real wild card, no idea what to expect here.

Castro - Will either bomb out or be better than #5

Axelrod - Possible mop up guy, of the ones listed he is the most likely to be #5, especially if the trades continue.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
Molina - Should be better than #5

Stewart - Should end up a good pen arm

Santiago - Real wild card, no idea what to expect here.

Castro - Will either bomb out or be better than #5

Axelrod - Possible mop up guy, of the ones listed he is the most likely to be #5, especially if the trades continue.

Where a guy projects to wind up doesn't necessarily reflect how they perform in their rookie season. John Danks, for example, was basically a #5 starter in 2007, at least in terms of performance. Several of those guys could be mid or upper rotation pieces long term but still get penciled in as the #5 starter in 13.

•The Yankees “desperately seek” a number two starter, according to Heyman. Edwin Jackson and Matt Garza may be more likely targets than Hiroki Kuroda, Jair Jurrjens, Wandy Rodriguez, Gavin Floyd and Roy Oswalt. The Yankees like Jackson’s arm, potential and durability, though they wonder about his consistency. However, they would like to keep new contracts to one or two years and Jackson seeks a five-year deal in the $60MM range.

Shouldn't we just trade Floyd for prospects and get Kuroda, Jurrjens, Rodriguez or Oswalt on a three year deal?

Interesting question.

Maybe it would even be possible to get one of those guys to sign a one-year, incentive-laden deal so they could go back out on the market in 2013, but you'd have to think there are still clubs circling their prey willing to give at least 2 and probably three year deals to those four.

Jurrjens has the injury concern, Kuroda has never pitched in the AL, same with Rodriguez (plus we'd consquently have three lefties in the rotation)...Oswalt has clearly seen a deterioration in his stuff in the last 2-3 seasons.

Is keeping Floyd a better option than trading him and bringing in one of those four?

Would Williams and Reinsdorf be willing to sign Jackson or Garza to long-term deals (4-5 years) after everything that's gone wrong with Peavy, Dunn and Rios, and just after having signed Danks and letting Mark Buehrle walk without making a legitimate offer?

Pretty doubtful.

If you could trade Floyd (for prospects) and sign one of those six pitchers OR sign Cespedes and keep Floyd, I would imagine most would prefer to roll the dice with a potential superstar impact bat in Cespedes rather than investing so much money into the staff...

Or option #3, you trade Floyd and use that money to go after Cespedes....leaving Zach Stewart, Axelrod, Santiago or Castro as your #5 going into the regular season...with the possibility of adding another or pitcher or two back in return for Gavin Floyd (a catcher would be nice too)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 11:46 PM)
•The Yankees “desperately seek” a number two starter, according to Heyman. Edwin Jackson and Matt Garza may be more likely targets than Hiroki Kuroda, Jair Jurrjens, Wandy Rodriguez, Gavin Floyd and Roy Oswalt. The Yankees like Jackson’s arm, potential and durability, though they wonder about his consistency. However, they would like to keep new contracts to one or two years and Jackson seeks a five-year deal in the $60MM range.

Shouldn't we just trade Floyd for prospects and get Kuroda, Jurrjens, Rodriguez or Oswalt on a three year deal?

Interesting question.

Maybe it would even be possible to get one of those guys to sign a one-year, incentive-laden deal so they could go back out on the market in 2013, but you'd have to think there are still clubs circling their prey willing to give at least 2 and probably three year deals to those four.

Jurrjens has the injury concern, Kuroda has never pitched in the AL, same with Rodriguez (plus we'd consquently have three lefties in the rotation)...Oswalt has clearly seen a deterioration in his stuff in the last 2-3 seasons.

Is keeping Floyd a better option than trading him and bringing in one of those four?

Would Williams and Reinsdorf be willing to sign Jackson or Garza to long-term deals (4-5 years) after everything that's gone wrong with Peavy, Dunn and Rios, and just after having signed Danks and letting Mark Buehrle walk without making a legitimate offer?

Pretty doubtful.

If you could trade Floyd (for prospects) and sign one of those six pitchers OR sign Cespedes and keep Floyd, I would imagine most would prefer to roll the dice with a potential superstar impact bat in Cespedes rather than investing so much money into the staff...

Or option #3, you trade Floyd and use that money to go after Cespedes....leaving Zach Stewart, Axelrod, Santiago or Castro as your #5 going into the regular season...with the possibility of adding another or pitcher or two back in return for Gavin Floyd (a catcher would be nice too)

Jurrjens is signed with the Braves.

Okay, in that case, they'd have to trade for him, so it doesn't make as much sense....too risky, giving up talent and committing to an uncertain pitcher who has never pitched in the AL before.

He's in that Danks/Quentin/Jenks/Crede delicate year-to-year arbitration no man's land. And surely the Braves won't try to extend him unless they're 100% certain about his long-term viability and injury prognosis.

So that leaves Kuroda, Rodriguez and Oswalt (that it could be realistically argued would be able to outperform Floyd).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
Okay, in that case, they'd have to trade for him, so it doesn't make as much sense....too risky, giving up talent and committing to an uncertain pitcher who has never pitched in the AL before.

He's in that Danks/Quentin/Jenks/Crede delicate year-to-year arbitration no man's land. And surely the Braves won't try to extend him unless they're 100% certain about his long-term viability and injury prognosis.

So that leaves Kuroda, Rodriguez and Oswalt (that it could be realistically argued would be able to outperform Floyd).

Isn't Rodriguez under contract too?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 11:57 PM)
Isn't Rodriguez under contract too?

Wilson's contract is for five-years, $77.50 million (AAV=$15.5 million). Buehrle's is for five years, $58 million (AAV=$11 million).

Remember how Astros fans (author included) verbally slaughtered former GM Ed Wade for extending Wandy Rodriguez, who has three years and $36 million left on his deal? All of a sudden, Rodriguez has a comparatively favorable contract, a list of suitors who missed out on Wilson and Buehrle, is in some ways a better pitcher than both, is left-handed, and the Astros have incentive to move him.

The Astros are publicly shopping Wandy Rodriguez, and this may be our first glimpse at new GM Jeff Lunhow's trading savvy. The market has spoken, and a soft-tossing 33-year old left hander has been deemed worth as much money as Wandy. A 31-year-old converted reliever with only two seasons starting in the major leagues has been proclaimed worth almost twice as much as the money remaining on Wandy's contract. The statistics paint Wandy as a similar pitcher to Wilson over the past three years, and a superior pitcher to Buehrle. Below are some rate stats for all three pitchers, with a simple Roto-style ranking for comparison purposes. I found two different calculations for FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching), so I used them both.

So according to this guy, Wandy Rodriguez for $36 million and 3 years is a great bargain.

Not so sure about that one...or that he was superior to Buehlre. Comparing AL and NL numbers is apples to oranges. That contract is almost the same as what Danks got (average per year), and a lot more than Gavin Floyd. Plus we already have 2 lefties in the rotation already.

So cross Rodriguez off the list. When you think of #2 guys, someone who's pitched for one of the worst teams in the majors the last couple of seasons doesn't jump right to one's mind immediately...certainly not for the NY Yankees. More like an Oliver Perez feel to it.

That leaves Kuroda and Oswalt.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
Danks

Floyd

Peavy

Sale

Humber

Pick your order...unless you think Floyd is getting traded.

As much as I like Humber, I'm not going to feel super comfortable about him in that 5th slot until I see him come out and put up 3-4 starts of the quality he put up early in the year last year...