Another White Sox / Blue Jays trade on the horizon?

striker

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
Unfortunately I still think the Sox have a solid team and the move I pointed out serves two purposes makes the current team stronger and builds for the future.

If Jackson wants to come back to Chicago I think there are ways to get it done.

I also think there are four guys that know the White Sox budget and none of them write for a living.

JR, KW, Hahn and...?

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
Unfortunately I still think the Sox have a solid team and the move I pointed out serves two purposes makes the current team stronger and builds for the future.

If Jackson wants to come back to Chicago I think there are ways to get it done.

I also think there are four guys that know the White Sox budget and none of them write for a living.

Really? Unless you're drinkin' the same s*** Hawk does every year, there's little to no chance of this being a solid team. And what the hell purpose would Edwin Jackson serve for the future?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
Really? Unless you're drinkin' the same s*** Hawk does every year, there's little to no chance of this being a solid team. And what the hell purpose would Edwin Jackson serve for the future?

There's definitely a chance this team can be solid. I don't think it's going to happen but it's certainly possible.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)

I guess it depends on the definition of solid. It will be around a .500 team. Not a division winner unless Detroit loses a few more pieces.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)

Just drinking the same stuff that made people think the Knicks would be better than the Bulls. Preseason opinions are what they are.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Just drinking the same stuff that made people think the Knicks would be better than the Bulls. Preseason opinions are what they are.

Let's stay on the topic of baseball. Every five minutes you're talking about how "epically" bad the Cubs are going to be. And it's true. Now other than 25% of the roster remembering what it's like to play baseball at an above replacement level, what's the case for the Sox?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)

J4L is my boy, but damn.

But seriously, everyone knows J4L is a grass is always greener type of guy, right?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
Let's stay on the topic of baseball. Every five minutes you're talking about how "epically" bad the Cubs are going to be. And it's true. Now other than 25% of the roster remembering what it's like to play baseball at an above replacement level, what's the case for the Sox?

The cubs were 71-91 and I do not believe they have added replacement level players with greater value. I do not think Travis Wood, Volstad and Maholm are anything more than Casey Coleman and Randy Wells. cub fans must believe that theo and jed are the saviors. While they may be very bright individuals neither built the Red Sox organization to the level they are getting credit for and one of the biggest trades that took place during the theo tenure was when theo was on sabattical. I think the Brewers, Cards are Reds will all be better than any team in the White Sox division thus I think the cubs will be epically bad as the NL as a whole will beat them up, the cub will get to beat the Astros but recently the Pirates have had their number and may even be better on paper this year. The media seems to gloss over the cub debt and stadium issues and everyone just thinks the fans will pay to see a 100+ plus loss team for the next two years. There also seems to be an accepted precedent that a wholesale gutting is the way to go. The potential lost revenue from bad teams and the youth movement not working could cripple that organization but the media's rose colored glasses will not see this. It is assured theo and jed will be the Royals in two years and nobody will invest in youth like the cubs will now do.

The White Sox were 79-83 last year. They had two players produce to a level which I think will not be repeated Konerko and Humber. If Peavy, Rios and Dunn put up the same numbers as last year, Sale is not the starter he looks to be based on this last two years and if Morel and Beckham are not MLB players, the Sox will be a 70 win team. I believe the infield defense will be one of the best in the AL. I like Buehrle and he will be hard to replace but I think Peavy will replace his value and Sale, Danks and Floyd will fit their roles with Humber begin a nice number four. I think the bullpen can be built from within and and an arm or two will be there from the trades the Sox made this offseason. The White Sox are a relatively young team so having a terrible farm system will not kill them if they stay healthy. I am of the belief that guillen hurt the team greatly and Ventura will give them more of an advantage. I am not saying they are going to the playoffs but I also do not want to blow the thing up and start anew.

I am going to South Bend now to shovel Hawk's snow.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
The cubs were 71-91 and I do not believe they have added replacement level players with greater value. I do not think Travis Wood, Volstad and Maholm are anything more than Casey Coleman and Randy Wells. cub fans must believe that theo and jed are the saviors. While they may be very bright individuals neither built the Red Sox organization to the level they are getting credit for and one of the biggest trades that took place during the theo tenure was when theo was on sabattical. I think the Brewers, Cards are Reds will all be better than any team in the White Sox division thus I think the cubs will be epically bad as the NL as a whole will beat them up, the cub will get to beat the Astros but recently the Pirates have had their number and may even be better on paper this year. The media seems to gloss over the cub debt and stadium issues and everyone just thinks the fans will pay to see a 100+ plus loss team for the next two years. There also seems to be an accepted precedent that a wholesale gutting is the way to go. The potential lost revenue from bad teams and the youth movement not working could cripple that organization but the media's rose colored glasses will not see this. It is assured theo and jed will be the Royals in two years and nobody will invest in youth like the cubs will now do.

The White Sox were 79-83 last year. They had two players produce to a level which I think will not be repeated Konerko and Humber. If Peavy, Rios and Dunn put up the same numbers as last year, Sale is not the starter he looks to be based on this last two years and if Morel and Beckham are not MLB players, the Sox will be a 70 win team. I believe the infield defense will be one of the best in the AL. I like Buehrle and he will be hard to replace but I think Peavy will replace his value and Sale, Danks and Floyd will fit their roles with Humber begin a nice number four. I think the bullpen can be built from within and and an arm or two will be there from the trades the Sox made this offseason. The White Sox are a relatively young team so having a terrible farm system will not kill them if they stay healthy. I am of the belief that guillen hurt the team greatly and Ventura will give them more of an advantage. I am not saying they are going to the playoffs but I also do not want to blow the thing up and start anew.

I am going to South Bend now to shovel Hawk's snow.

Nearly every team can be surprise contenders if everyone plays well. It's baseball, the best teams every year only win like 65% of their games -- there is a ton of space for streaks and career years to make a difference.

But all of that does NOT make it prudent to plan on everything breaking correctly with tens of millions of dollars at stake. Yes, we would all be happier if every offseason's theme was to add veterans stars, but that's just not possible. No matter how much money you think ownership has, they can not and will not just continue to add payroll until they bankrupt themselves. Yes, the Cubs will suck next year, but that's because Hendry drove them into the ground with wanton aggression every year, throwing big money at the best player available at the time without any concern for anything beyond the next season. Now, they're mired in a state of sustained mediocrity without any chance of getting better quickly because they have $150m tied up in garbage players on long-term contracts, and depressingly few decent prospects to come up and outplay the dead weight. What options do they have? Would the fans rather see an expensive team suck it up or a young team with a promising future suck it up?

If you think the White Sox or the Cubs should be further mortgaging the future on the slight chance that all of their bad players will turn it around and have great years, you either have no understanding of basic economics or think the world will end after 2012. I'm sick of hearing people hate on KW offseason strategy by acting like he WANTS to lose. He may or may not be making bad decisions, but he's doing it while trying to build you a winner the best way he knows how -- and unlike so many fans, he understands that he may not be able to do it right now and is aware that the decisions he makes now will affect his ability to succeed in the not-so-distant future. It's not as simple as "get good players or get bad players."

And finally, to everyone (not necessarily you) who is complaining about JR being stingy: please realize that last year's payroll was SIGNIFICANTLY higher than any payroll in White Sox history.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
Nearly every team can be surprise contenders if everyone plays well. It's baseball, the best teams every year only win like 65% of their games -- there is a ton of space for streaks and career years to make a difference.

But all of that does NOT make it prudent to plan on everything breaking correctly with tens of millions of dollars at stake. Yes, we would all be happier if every offseason's theme was to add veterans stars, but that's just not possible. No matter how much money you think ownership has, they can not and will not just continue to add payroll until they bankrupt themselves. Yes, the Cubs will suck next year, but that's because Hendry drove them into the ground with wanton aggression every year, throwing big money at the best player available at the time without any concern for anything beyond the next season. Now, they're mired in a state of sustained mediocrity without any chance of getting better quickly because they have $150m tied up in garbage players on long-term contracts, and depressingly few decent prospects to come up and outplay the dead weight. What options do they have? Would the fans rather see an expensive team suck it up or a young team with a promising future suck it up?

If you think the White Sox or the Cubs should be further mortgaging the future on the slight chance that all of their bad players will turn it around and have great years, you either have no understanding of basic economics or think the world will end after 2012. I'm sick of hearing people hate on KW offseason strategy by acting like he WANTS to lose. He may or may not be making bad decisions, but he's doing it while trying to build you a winner the best way he knows how -- and unlike so many fans, he understands that he may not be able to do it right now and is aware that the decisions he makes now will affect his ability to succeed in the not-so-distant future. It's not as simple as "get good players or get bad players."

And finally, to everyone (not necessarily you) who is complaining about JR being stingy: please realize that last year's payroll was SIGNIFICANTLY higher than any payroll in White Sox history.

Except 75% of the blame for what happened with the Cubs should be placed on prior management (not so much Hendry) thinking those aforementioned splashy names would drive up the asking price/NAV of the franchise at the time of sale...and also for maxxing out the performance of the team at a time when others were kicking the tyres about a possible purchase.

And there's still a decent chance this White Sox team can at least be competitive in 2012. Can't really say the same for the Cubs.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)
Except 75% of the blame for what happened with the Cubs should be placed on prior management (not so much Hendry) thinking those aforementioned splashy names would drive up the asking price/NAV of the franchise at the time of sale...and also for maxxing out the performance of the team at a time when others were kicking the tyres about a possible purchase.

And there's still a decent chance this White Sox team can at least be competitive in 2012. Can't really say the same for the Cubs.

Hendry's fault or not, the point remains the same. The Cubs suck and are in a horrible position, and the White Sox are headed down the same path. If they decide to STILL try to be "all in," they will be in the same position within the next season or two.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
FarrellBall FARRELL BALL

#Jays are still interested; Just don't want to give up Nicolino or Syndengaard along with Deck RT @FarrellBall Anything more on Floyd?

I love Syndergaard. Not surprised the Jays want to hold on to him.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)

Huh, I do not think JR is cheap at all. I also think you are agreeing with me. My point is that I am fine with the Sox staying the course and hoping players progress on a career path not throw more money at it. I have no issue with the players moved this off season. The media has no story on the Sox this off season so they are pretending like theo is baseball jesus.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
FarrellBall FARRELL BALL

#Jays are still interested; Just don't want to give up Nicolino or Syndengaard along with Deck RT @FarrellBall Anything more on Floyd?

I want Syndergaard really badly, but I'm not sure of how much of it is because I think he's good and how much of it is because I want to get a shirt with his name on the back.