Another White Sox / Blue Jays trade on the horizon?

striker

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McGuire and Drabek seems like it would be suitable value. I understand that it's not the precedent at this point in time, but the Sox dealt Garcia after 2006 for Gio and Floyd, who were both good prospects with one of them having fallen a bit. He was coming off a mediocre season, had seen his velocity drop, and only had the one remaining year on his contract. Floyd has 2 and has been a very valuable starter for the past 4 seasons.

I don't know a lot about McGuire, but from what has been said on here, I like him already. I just don't like him as the centerpiece of a trade for Gavin Floyd.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 10:20 PM)
Goldstein was on the Score and said that these rumors were complete crap, and there have been no talks between Sox/Jays about Floyd. Just some dude making stuff up and others running with the crap.

I tweeted the rumor to him, looks like he looked into it.

Too bad there is anything to this at all. Seemed like the Sox would have got two nice pitchers for the future. I would have really liked to have seen what Coop could do with Drabek.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

Why don't we make a list of all the board trade targets?

Then we can start an internet rumor everyday until one of them turns out to be true and we actually get the player we want in return.

It will keep Rogers and Cowley busy, and supply material for their weekend columns.

So we have...

1) Floyd

2) Thornton

3) Crain

4) Ohman

5) AJ

6) Ramirez (for Marty34)

7) Konerko

What possible combination of those players will get us what we want in terms of minor league talent/prospects?

The Floyd/Crain or Thornton (depending on need)/Alexei Ramirez package would be the closest we can come to assembling a "mega-deal" at this point.

We need a future catcher, CFer (assuming Rios should be moved to a corner and DeAza as the 4th OF), leadoff hitter, more bullpen depth (especially LH side if Thornton is dealt) and a legit top 30-50 SS prospect to replace Alexei Ramirez, assuming KW and JR want to go that route. More starting pitching talent is never going to hurt, but we should probably prioritize CATCHER and CF first, then pitching (starting/bullpen).

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:18 PM)
Why would someone make up a Floyd to the Jays trade? I could see someone starting a BS HOWARD TO THE BULLS!!!! But not something as (relatively) unimportant as this

Because AA and KW are newfound best friends forever and 25% of new trade rumors should therefore connect the two organizations together.

That and the fact that they Blue Jays need a "middle of the rotation" starter and Floyd is exactly that...3, no worse than 4.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 11:25 PM)
Because AA and KW are newfound best friends forever and 25% of new trade rumors should therefore connect the two organizations together.

That and the fact that they Blue Jays need a "middle of the rotation" starter and Floyd is exactly that...3, no worse than 4.

That still doesn't really explain it. FarrellBall offered up the idea first here. It makes sense that after a couple days of deliberation amongst themselves and with each other that they'd have come to a relative price that they like and now they are hammering out the final details or perhaps adding on to it. It's been cited by two seemingly unconnected sources - a guy who runs a Blue Jays blog and a student at Purdue University - and the student has even name dropped a bit (said his cousin's name is Leann, who lives next to his sister, which is confirmed here (his cousin and Gavin's wife's name)).

Where there is smoke, there is fire. This actually reminds me a bit of the Adrian Gonzalez rumors in the '09-'10 offseason where everyone and everything was throwing Soxtalk under the bus. If nothing happens, then nothing happens, we let bygones be bygones, and we move on. It doesn't mean that nothing was going on at that time period and it doesn't mean nothing is going on now.

I'm excited to see what comes of this. Sort of.

Remember the 2011 trade deadline when @Mrfantasyexpert tweeted that the Brewers traded for Alex Rios and people were saying "It must be true, why would a guy pick Alex Rios of all people and run with it?"

I kind of feel the same way about this.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 04:40 AM)
That still doesn't really explain it. FarrellBall offered up the idea first here. It makes sense that after a couple days of deliberation amongst themselves and with each other that they'd have come to a relative price that they like and now they are hammering out the final details or perhaps adding on to it. It's been cited by two seemingly unconnected sources - a guy who runs a Blue Jays blog and a student at Purdue University - and the student has even name dropped a bit (said his cousin's name is Leann, who lives next to his sister, which is confirmed here (his cousin and Gavin's wife's name)).

Where there is smoke, there is fire. This actually reminds me a bit of the Adrian Gonzalez rumors in the '09-'10 offseason where everyone and everything was throwing Soxtalk under the bus. If nothing happens, then nothing happens, we let bygones be bygones, and we move on. It doesn't mean that nothing was going on at that time period and it doesn't mean nothing is going on now.

I'm excited to see what comes of this. Sort of.

Except for there is still no evidence that his cousin is actually Gavin's wife...all that he's done is use the correct first name of Gavin's wife and claim it is his cousin.

I hope it's true, because, I'm sick of Deer in the Headlights Floyd, but I think it's just a few guys looking for their 15 minutes of fame after seeing some of the attention k0na got (finally).

a student at Purdue University - and the student has even name dropped a bit (said his cousin's name is Leann, who lives next to his sister, which is confirmed here (his cousin and Gavin's wife's name)).

First of all, anybody can spend 30 seconds on Google and find out the name of Gavin's wife and where they live.

Secondly, if the actual player being traded is this guy's ultimate source, I don't buy for a second that he knows all of the details of the trade, such as the names of the minor leaguers involved and whether or not there is cash involved. That's how a team source might spell out a trade to somebody like Heyman or Rosenthal (or k0na), but I doubt that's how KW spells it out when he calls the actual player.

Now, there may very well be a Floyd to Toronto trade in the works, but I don't buy this Purdue guy's story one bit.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 07:47 AM)
First of all, anybody can spend 30 seconds on Google and find out the name of Gavin's wife and where they live.

Secondly, if the actual player being traded is this guy's ultimate source, I don't buy for a second that he knows all of the details of the trade, such as the names of the minor leaguers involved and whether or not there is cash involved. That's how a team source might spell out a trade to somebody like Heyman or Rosenthal (or k0na), but I doubt that's how KW spells it out when he calls the actual player.

Now, there may very well be a Floyd to Toronto trade in the works, but I don't buy this Purdue guy's story one bit.

Yeah, that is the other problem....a player is not going to be notified of a trade until it is presumably completed...otherwise you risk alienating the player. Secondly, it's not like Kenny is going to call Gavin up and tell him about the cash heading Toronto's way as well.

The blogger may have a source, but the Purdue kid is just looking for attention IMHO.

Yeah, this would have been a spectacular deal. Two quality SP prospects, one with significant upside, who also happens to be major league ready. That's the type of return that KW should be demanding for Floyd. If he can't get it now, then move Floyd at the deadline.

Even if this rumor is bulls***, as it appears, I really hope there have some talks with the Jays regarding Floyd. If we can add two more quality SP prospects to the Stewart, Molina, Castro, Santiago, & Petricka mix, we'd be in pretty good shape to build a nice long-term rotation.