Baseball America's Top 10 White Sox Prospects

striker

QUOTE (OZZIE_FAN_69 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)
Whatever happened to Mitchell? Kid fell off the face of the Earth after that injury.

For a kid who was raw coming in, losing a year when he did was awful. Now instead of 2 years of growth, he had a full year of rehab and then a year of trying to recover.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
For a kid who was raw coming in, losing a year when he did was awful. Now instead of 2 years of growth, he had a full year of rehab and then a year of trying to recover.

Not to mention he was a guy who was behind anyway because he always split between football and baseball.

The high ranking on Thompson made me look up his stats and I gotta say, I was impressed with the power. He still strikes out far too much but he has decreased his K percentage every year and adding in his power and defense I think he might be a real prospect.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
The high ranking on Thompson made me look up his stats and I gotta say, I was impressed with the power. He still strikes out far too much but he has decreased his K percentage every year and adding in his power and defense I think he might be a real prospect.

I’m more pleased by the 10% walk rate that is trending upward. It’s certainly not awesome, but workable, and moving in the right direction.

After reading Rogers' article, it seems like the Chicago media is sick of the Sox like many of the fans.

My guess is most people believe Kenny has jumped the shark and like me, think the wrong guy won the war between KW and Ozzie.

Sox are going to have to prove a lot on the field and in acquiring good players in the next 2-3 years.

I would think only the true die-hard fans would buy tickets to see the Dunn/Rios White Sox.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
After reading Rogers' article, it seems like the Chicago media is sick of the Sox like many of the fans.

My guess is most people believe Kenny has jumped the shark and like me, think the wrong guy won the war between KW and Ozzie.

Sox are going to have to prove a lot on the field and in acquiring good players in the next 2-3 years.

I would think only the true die-hard fans would buy tickets to see the Dunn/Rios White Sox.

Greg, roughly 1/3rd of the posters and probably everyone who follows the Sox minors closely knows more about their system, and has taken the time to see the players firsthand, than Rogers.

Had we given Buddy Bell, Marco Paddy or Rick Hahn...Mike Gellinger, etc., this article to write instead as an assignment, it would have been 100X more insightful and informative than what Phil came up with.

Heck, Joe Posnanski, who doesn't even follow the Sox system, would have done a better job, because he would have found the right sources in baseball and around the Sox to put together a much more accurate list.

Silverio, Martinez and Marinez don't belong in the top 10. That's just laziness.

There are some legit areas to be upset with Williams and Reinsdorf about...but this complaint is pointless and well-document, it would be tantamount to starting another anti-KW thread with the title, "Fire KW now, Phil Rogers thinks our system sucks, and he writes for a major US newspaper and Baseball America, so he must be right."

Edited by caulfield12

For f***'s sake, can one of the admins please ban Greg? He seems like a perfectly nice guy, but I simply can't take anymore of his naïveté and ridiculously-biased pro Guillen comments.

GREG - KW DIDN'T WIN THE "WAR", OZZIE JUST SURRENDERED LIKE A BIG f***ING p****

In hindsight I think you do have to pin the blame on Ozzie or staff. Kenny put together some winning teams the last 2 years on paper with his moves. He went for it with Jackson and the players tanked it.

Although I don't like the Dunn signing because of his limited skill set, 40HR and 100 RBIs from the left side should have made us a force. Everyone had to believe Beckham was going to regain rookie form. I don't blame Kenny for those 2 falling flat on their faces, or Rios quitting, or Peavy throwing his arm off. It all looked good on paper to me, dishing out prospects to win. We should have been in the playoffs the last 2 years. Ozzie didn't get it done, didn't motivate, whatever it was.

But you can argue KW gathered s***ty players since they ended up being s***ty. It's interesting. What if everyone was all of a sudden good this year? Some Ozzie-lovers might end up converting.

Oh my god Greg..

We're talking about a guy who includes non-teams in his power rankings. Like, literally one of the worst writers out there.

Agreeing with Phil Rogers is not a good thing.

Greg,

I get the Chicago Tribune delivered to my home every single day and read nearly the entire Sports section front-to-back. EXCEPT for the Phil Rogers columns, because they are based on very little baseball knowledge and would diminish my baseball IQ. It may be tough for you to find White Sox news in Lawrence, but Phil Rogers is the last person you want to read.

Sincerely,

LittleHurt05

Yet another instructive article on HOW NOW TO REBUILD, starring the Pirates this time.

At least we're ranked ahead of four organizations so far (Lastros, Padres, Orioles, Pirates)....and climbing. Guess we end up around 21-23 in the PASSAN preseason ratings. That could change with a CESPEDES signing, though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AhjK...s_losing_011312

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 14, 2012 -> 01:12 AM)
For f***'s sake, can one of the admins please ban Greg? He seems like a perfectly nice guy, but I simply can't take anymore of his naïveté and ridiculously-biased pro Guillen comments.

Life is not about people agreeing with u all the time.

Read the last 4-5 responses. People disagreed with me but gave me some thought-provoking things to consider.

The question is why do you trust Phil Rogers?

He's not the worst writer in the world, obviously BASEBALL AMERICA accords him some respect to let him do the TOP 10 list...but that doesn't make him any more of an expert than 20-30 people here at SOXTALK who follow it even more closely than Rogers does.

The difference is that Rogers has access to sources...he's just not using them thoroughly or exhaustively, because nobody within the SOX F.O.would include three of those guys in the Top 15 prospects.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 06:12 PM)

Thank you.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)
In hindsight I think you do have to pin the blame on Ozzie or staff. Kenny put together some winning teams the last 2 years on paper with his moves. He went for it with Jackson and the players tanked it.

Although I don't like the Dunn signing because of his limited skill set, 40HR and 100 RBIs from the left side should have made us a force. Everyone had to believe Beckham was going to regain rookie form. I don't blame Kenny for those 2 falling flat on their faces, or Rios quitting, or Peavy throwing his arm off. It all looked good on paper to me, dishing out prospects to win. We should have been in the playoffs the last 2 years. Ozzie didn't get it done, didn't motivate, whatever it was.

But you can argue KW gathered s***ty players since they ended up being s***ty. It's interesting. What if everyone was all of a sudden good this year? Some Ozzie-lovers might end up converting.

No they wouldn't. They would just say that the players conspired to get Ozzie out of there by playing poorly.