2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)
I wish fielders would get errors for clearly missed catches, even though he got the eventual out the fact Viciedo didn't straight catch the ball against Bautista should have been an error.

Yeah, the official scoring rules suck. Hawk's been (rightly) screaming for the creation of the "team error" concept for an eternity.

If the goal of official scoring is to create an accurate, historical record of what transpired in a game (and I think it is), this needs to happen, along with allowing for other judgements by the scorer when a fielder doesn't actually get a glove on the ball - like Harper losing the ball in the lights on Tuesday, for instance.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish fielders would get errors for clearly missed catches, even though he got the eventual out the fact Viciedo didn't straight catch the ball against Bautista should have been an error.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions about official scoring. An error CAN be charged in those cases, but is almost never is.

The official scorer shall charge an outfielder with an error if such outfielder allows a fly ball to drop to the ground if, in the official scorer's judgment, an outfielder at that position making ordinary effort would have caught such fly ball. - Comment to Rule 10.12(a)(1)

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
This is one of the biggest misconceptions about official scoring. An error CAN be charged in those cases, but is almost never is.

Interesting. A change in interpretation should be easier to implement than a change in the hallowed rules - so do it already.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
What are things I would have never, ever guessed for $2000, Alex.

@ckamka Alfonso Soriano (139) and Dayan Viciedo (133) are the only ML Left Fielders with 100+ Total Chances without an error this season.

What about that play where Bautista got nailed at third?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
I've had a lapse in attention lately and need someone to catch me up - someone wanna school me on Jordan Danks, the last 6 months ago, in a brief paragraph or so?

Tall, fast, great D, good at hitting singles off the bench so far.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)

Viciedo clearly lost that ball in the lights. When the field of play causes a missed catch the fielder is never held accountable.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
Dunn is now the league leader in HRs. I'm happy that he has some success this season. They just need to have some guys on when he pops those.

Me thinks he should be cleanin up in front of Paulie and his .400 OBP

Rios is about to pass Paulie in batting average. Konerko's fall these last few months is ridiculous. An .80+ point drop in batting average would have been getting more attention is the starting average was t .399 haha

But really, There is no way he's not hurt right?

I know he's trying to be tough but he hasn't gottena clutch RBI hit for this team in forever. Sometimes the better move is to admit you're hurt and go on the DL for the sake of the team.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:03 AM)
Rios is about to pass Paulie in batting average. Konerko's fall these last few months is ridiculous. An .80+ point drop in batting average would have been getting more attention is the starting average was t .399 haha

I know he's trying to be tough but he hasn't gottena clutch RBI hit for this team in forever. Sometimes the better move is to admit you're hurt and go on the DL for the sake of the team.

He has to. Ever since he hit .399, something's been off.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:03 AM)

I'm sure the wrist is bothering him. His power is null right now.