2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
CF's a harder position, may as well put him there eh?

I think Hawkins ends up in RF but there is no reason not to let him play CF in the minors. Trayce Thompson is a guy that most saw as having a classic RF profile too but he is supposedly playing great defense in CF in High A.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
I personally got tired of my optimism constantly being shut down when I saw a good ball club. Now that everyone sees more of what I saw everything I wanna say has already been said. I can't not read these boards though, they supply this jobless fellow hours of entertainment.

Are you Soxman or do you just think he's cool/funny ?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

Dunn working with Jeff Manto on soft toss drill on the field

Dunn also hitting off a tee, back to basics that helped in spring training.

The ball was on a tee the last two nights and he did nothing with it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

Dunn working with Jeff Manto on soft toss drill on the field

Dunn also hitting off a tee, back to basics that helped in spring training.

Happy to hear this. Dunn wants to be good for us and is working hard. The Big Donkey looking slim too. Needs to start stealing more bags it looks like :headbang

Edited by Wagz

QUOTE (Wagz @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 06:23 PM)
Happy to hear this. Dunn wants to be good for us and is working hard. The Big Donkey looking slim too. Needs to start stealing more bags it looks like :headbang

Wouldn't it be great if Dunn could hit for an average above his Mendoza line. Don't get me wrong I love his rebound in homers and RBI's but there is no excuse for striking out as much as he does or not going with the pitch more. He could have a 100 RBI's by now I bet. The fellow can carry the team for a couple weeks with the way he can hit the homer think what he might do if he could just hit the ball a bit more regularly for base hits. I think he has the right attitude though and is not a selfish player at all

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
When I was a kid I was at a game in Sept. 1978, the Sox vs. Twins with a whole bunch of September call ups. Larry Doby was the Sox manager and he protested the game because one of the Twins, who had probably just been called up that day, didn't have his name of the back of his uniform. They announced the protest and reason on the PA. The crowd laughed.

Haha. I remember that. I watched it on TV, cool that you were there.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
Haha. I remember that. I watched it on TV, cool that you were there.

Vis-a-vis *WSNS-TV, Channel 44*, with Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall on the call. The team wasn't so great back in that day, but for whatever reason, the memories are still somewhat vivid.

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 10:21 PM)
Vis-a-vis *WSNS-TV, Channel 44*, with Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall on the call. The team wasn't so great back in that day, but for whatever reason, the memories are still somewhat vivid.

:gosoxretro:

+1 :gosoxretro:

It was going to be Milone and Parker, and now it's Blackley and Colon today and tomorrow.

The Yankees series sets up to be Garcia, Nova, and Hughes.

And we may miss Felix Hernandez in the Seattle series too.

I'll take it.

BTW, all indications we'll see Fister, Scherzer, and Verlander in both remaining series with the Tigers, with Verlander starting the last game of both series.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien

AJ Pierzynski has more home runs than Prince Fielder, Carlos Gonzalez, Matt Holliday, Mike Trout, and Adrian Beltre.

After hosting the World Series last year as an analyst on Fox, he's come back as a different player this season. Being a part of that 7-game World Series had to have motivated him. He probably said to himself he would do everything in the offseason to get more fit, get stronger, prepare for a career year, and get his team back into the World Series. If his job as Fox analyst had anything to do with it, thank you Fox!

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Aug 11, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
After hosting the World Series last year as an analyst on Fox, he's come back as a different player this season. Being a part of that 7-game World Series had to have motivated him. He probably said to himself he would do everything in the offseason to get more fit, get stronger, prepare for a career year, and get his team back into the World Series. If his job as Fox analyst had anything to do with it, thank you Fox!

Or maybe having a different manager organizing camp in spring training?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 11, 2012 -> 08:00 AM)
What I find scariest in that stat comparison is that Mike Trout (21) now has more home runs than Prince Fielder (20) -- with 23 LESS GAMES PLAYED

'Roids.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
Wouldn't it be great if Dunn could hit for an average above his Mendoza line. Don't get me wrong I love his rebound in homers and RBI's but there is no excuse for striking out as much as he does or not going with the pitch more. He could have a 100 RBI's by now I bet. The fellow can carry the team for a couple weeks with the way he can hit the homer think what he might do if he could just hit the ball a bit more regularly for base hits. I think he has the right attitude though and is not a selfish player at all

I agree that it would be great to see him swing for contact more but that just is not what we pay him to do. I would love to see him try and even hit the ball out of the park to left more but it seems like his hands are just so much slower than when he was with Cinci and the Nats. I think he will adjust his swing in the offseason and lower his hands. Major league players shouldnt change everything during the season because mechanics take to long to fix. I would love him to change the swing but if hes hitting under the mendoza line and still leads the league in BB and HR I cant complain because thats what he is paid to do. Last year he was not walking like he is this year. BA doesnt matter to a guy like Dunn but thats all fans see.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 11, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
'Roids.

Not directed at you man, but count me among the many who tire easily of the "'roids" explanation for ALL (seeming) baseball statistical anomalies. Sure, this generation of ball players deserve that as a whole because so many have indeed been on the juice. But, for well over a century, veteran players have the ubiquitous "career year," sometimes almost out of nowhere, and I'd venture to say that "performance enhancing" drugs or substances have been the actual reason why in very few situations (although clearly more recently).

More often than not, better training or conditioning, corrected vision, slightly tinkered mechanics, new mental approaches, and some combination of all, are more plausible reasons why a particular player with no hint of substance abuse rolls out that career year.

The difference between a player who has consistently hit hard topspin line-drives throughout a long and successful career as a solid hitter and one who now hits hard lofted flyballs with backspin is literally eights of an inch and/or virtually imperceptible changes in swing plane. As I see it AJ is hitting the ball hard like he did all of his career, only (a) he's pulling it more, and especially (b) he's getting loft.

I think most of us have seen this say on the golf course -- where you suddenly have a month period (or hopefully more) when you're just blowing past your previous long drives over and over again. I saw this a few summers back in Park District softball -- where I was a 2-3 home run a SEASON hitter, but for one storied year (not repeated the next year), I became a feared 1-2 home run a GAME hitter, just because I inexplicably started getting incredible backspin and loft on my fly balls.

I doubt very much that AJ is suddenly on the juice. I think he's having a storied career year and he and we should enjoy the ride. (As a separate matter, it's one of many reasons why I'd be really careful of extending him into the future at too great a salary because career years are called "career years" for a reason.

Peace all ... and ... GO SOX!

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Aug 11, 2012 -> 05:51 PM)
Not directed at you man, but count me among the many who tire easily of the "'roids" explanation for ALL (seeming) baseball statistical anomalies. Sure, this generation of ball players deserve that as a whole because so many have indeed been on the juice. But, for well over a century, veteran players have the ubiquitous "career year," sometimes almost out of nowhere, and I'd venture to say that "performance enhancing" drugs or substances have been the actual reason why in very few situations (although clearly more recently).

More often than not, better training or conditioning, corrected vision, slightly tinkered mechanics, new mental approaches, and some combination of all, are more plausible reasons why a particular player with no hint of substance abuse rolls out that career year.

The difference between a player who has consistently hit hard topspin line-drives throughout a long and successful career as a solid hitter and one who now hits hard lofted flyballs with backspin is literally eights of an inch and/or virtually imperceptible changes in swing plane. As I see it AJ is hitting the ball hard like he did all of his career, only (a) he's pulling it more, and especially (b) he's getting loft.

I think most of us have seen this say on the golf course -- where you suddenly have a month period (or hopefully more) when you're just blowing past your previous long drives over and over again. I saw this a few summers back in Park District softball -- where I was a 2-3 home run a SEASON hitter, but for one storied year (not repeated the next year), I became a feared 1-2 home run a GAME hitter, just because I inexplicably started getting incredible backspin and loft on my fly balls.

I doubt very much that AJ is suddenly on the juice. I think he's having a storied career year and he and we should enjoy the ride. (As a separate matter, it's one of many reasons why I'd be really careful of extending him into the future at too great a salary because career years are called "career years" for a reason.

Peace all ... and ... GO SOX!

I was kidding when I said AJ was on juice. I just think it's funny that when a player on another team (mainly a team you dislike) is having a career year at an advanced age out of nowhere, it's assumed by many that he's on something. But when said player is on YOUR team, not a peep. lol.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
I see that the Sox sent 25 year old IF'er Tyler Kuhn to the DBacks for money. What's the prospect take on that deal?

I have a hunch that Kuhn is delighted with the move.