Sox looking at low-end starter, trading Floyd

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: #WhiteSox exploring addition of starting pitcher, lower-end type at the right price. Would give them flexibility to trade Floyd.

Phil Humber?

Oh lawd no.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 04:09 AM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: #WhiteSox exploring addition of starting pitcher, lower-end type at the right price. Would give them flexibility to trade Floyd.

Phil Humber?

I thought we signed Floyd to solidfy agood rotation? Now they want alower cost guy who can win maybe 4 or 5 games and cost less? Nonsensical

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
Getting rid of a loser like Floyd? Sign me up.

He is 70-66 lifetime. By definition that makes him a winner.

Sorry sarcasm meter is on after watching BBT

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
I thought we signed Floyd to solidfy agood rotation? Now they want alower cost guy who can win maybe 4 or 5 games and cost less? Nonsensical

If they can get a 3B/C out of trading Floyd then it makes sense.

There are guys out there that will come cheaper than Floyd who will win you more than 4 or 5 games.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 11:42 PM)
Heard that a guy the Sox are considering as a Floyd replacement is a certain former 1st rounder that may be non-tendered by a division rival tomorrow...

Interesting. Now i need to look at the rosters of our rivals haha.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 12:03 AM)
Luke Hochaver? ew.

Gimme some BMac.

Hochevar's pretty bad. But his K/BB isn't that bad. He just tends to serve up homers, which just doesn't work at the Cell and doesn't make much sense either since he's typically a ground ball pitcher.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 01:18 AM)
Chris Volstad? 1st Rounder in 2005, possibly dropped by KC.

That would be one of the worst moves they could make.

Hochevar is a big whatever, who cares, jesus I hope he's not expensive but he's worth a shot.

It would depend upon what they'd get for Floyd.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 01:59 AM)
That would be one of the worst moves they could make.

Hochevar is a big whatever, who cares, jesus I hope he's not expensive but he's worth a shot.

It would depend upon what they'd get for Floyd.

I wish there was a way to write queries on Baseball-Reference. I was trying to extract pitchers that were drafted in the first round on current AL Central teams. Instead, I just looked up a list on Wikipedia.

Possible candidates:

Kyle Waldrop

Luke Hochevar

David Huff

Rick Porcello

Jake Odorizzi

It's mostly likely Hochevar.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 06:36 AM)
This isn't really news.

Floyd getting moved is not news, but potentially signing another starter is.

I guess my question is what does this mean for the rest of the rotation? Let's say we sign Hochever to be our #5 starter, does Santiago start in AAA or go to our bullpen? Or maybe Hahn just wants to bring in another starter to add some general competition this spring, but it seems Axelrod would be perfectly capable of that. Needing to have 6 starters could also be a sign that Danks isn't progressing as quickly as expected or that Hahn has concerns that Quintana will regress next year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 12:09 AM)
Hochevar's pretty bad. But his K/BB isn't that bad. He just tends to serve up homers, which just doesn't work at the Cell and doesn't make much sense either since he's typically a ground ball pitcher.

The Sox could see something in his grip, in his arm slot, in his delivery... who knows.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 07:01 AM)

I guess my question is what does this mean for the rest of the rotation? Let's say we sign Hochever to be our #5 starter, does Santiago start in AAA or go to our bullpen? Or maybe Hahn just wants to bring in another starter to add some general competition this spring, but it seems Axelrod would be perfectly capable of that. Needing to have 6 starters could also be a sign that Danks isn't progressing as quickly as expected or that Hahn has concerns that Quintana will regress next year.

Not really. It was reported they wanted BMac the first or second day of free agency.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)

I hope so. If Hectors not in the rotation then I wanna see him stretched out in the minors.

In a perfect world Danks pitches well enough that we can trade him at the deadline or next offseason and our LH starters would be Sale-Q-Santiago. That could be a real good young core of starters that would allow the Sox a lot of financial flexibility for the next few years. Further more if a guy like Rienzo/Johnson emerges this year then the Sox would have even more flexibility to build up their offense.