West Region

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UNM BB beat writer can't take it anymore after 33 years, gives up.

Dennis Latta

Loboland.com Editor

I really thought that the University of New Mexico finally had a men's basketball team that earned the loyalty of their fans.

I was wrong.

I've been around Lobo basketball for 33 seasons. For 32 of those seasons, I knew that UNM had a team that could fold and lose to anyone at any time. I never got my expectations too high because a collapse was possible anytime they walked out on that floor.

I thought this team was different. I was convinced that this Lobo team was for real. It had experience, a good front line and a good backcourt and good chemistry and was smart.

I was wrong.

The main difference between these Lobos and the others who fell flat was that the 2012-13 team played defense. New Mexico forced opponents to take bad shots and actually guarded. This team had real potential.

I was wrong.

This was a team that had the MWC Player of the Year in Kendall Williams and the MWC Tournament MVP in Tony Snell and two big men who had been outstanding at times and a point guard who had developed quickly. I never expected the Player of the Year to be absolutely invisible when he was needed most or that the tournament MVP couldn't hit a 3-pointer on a bet.

I was wrong.

I thought this team had accomplished something by winning the Mountain West Conference during the regular season and in the tournament. A win over UNLV on its home floor was impressive. Beating San Diego State and Colorado State and Boise State was the sign of success because the conference and these teams were so good.

I was wrong.

Now, the mighty MWC is 1-3 in the NCAA, and has not lost to any team seeded above a 13. It's not like they lost to Indiana or Louisville or even Georgetown or Michigan State. No, the losses were to the traditional powerhouses of LaSalle, California and Harvard. The league I thought was so good turns out to be so bad.

I was wrong.

I was disappointed when New Mexico was seeded a lowly third. I truly believed UNM would prove the committee wrong and thought that going to the Final Four was a realistic possibility. This was going to be the Year of the Lobo. New Mexico was finally going to get the credit, the respect and the attention it deserved.

I was wrong.

I thought that coach Steve Alford and athletic director Paul Krebbs were smart to announce a new 10-year contract the day before the Lobos started their march through the NCAA. No one would complain about the big dollars because UNM was on the road to glory.

I was wrong.

But I won't be wrong again. It was a lot easier to take when expectations were lower. Losing was acceptable because UNM had almost always lost when it really counted. You didn't have visions of greatness, only to have them dashed. After the pitiful performance UNM put up against a team that doesn't even offer scholarships, I've given up. Having all five starters back next season means nothing on a team that can just disappear like that. I'd be back to wondering when it would collapse, have a terrible game and lose to an inferior team again.

No, I've had it. I've been to my last Lobo basketball game after covering the team for much of the last 33 years.

Good-bye Lobo basketball.

At first, it was confusing a bit, because LaSalle beat Boise State in the First 8 game...thought he was confusing KSU with being in the MWC.

So now they're 2-3 in the tourney, with SDSU beating Oklahoma, but UNM and UNLV both out.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 11:06 PM)
Rock, what should I expect with the Buckeyes? I've never seen the Iowa State team that played tonight.

Thomas scoring 20 and Craft bothering your PG. The rest is up in the air. Thompson learned how to shoot these last 8 games so who knows.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 11:21 PM)

Dennis Latta

thought this team had accomplished something by winning the Mountain West Conference during the regular season and in the tournament. A win over UNLV on its home floor was impressive. Beating San Diego State and Colorado State and Boise State was the sign of success because the conference and these teams were so good.

This is where I get lost. Is this sarcasm?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 01:46 AM)
Thomas scoring 20 and Craft bothering your PG. The rest is up in the air. Thompson learned how to shoot these last 8 games so who knows.

I'm guessing you'll have Babb bothering Thomas and no one for ISU scoring 20.

Ohio State is a bad matchup for ISU. Hopefully Lucious can handle Craft.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 01:46 AM)

I'm guessing Babb will be bothering Thomas and no one for ISU will score 20. Hopefully Lucious can play alright with Craft on him.

Same question I had about ND, but has Ohio State played against a lot of 5-out?

What a freakin' whiner! Justice will be served if UNM ends up in the Final Four next year and this guy is gone.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 10:21 PM)

Dennis Latta

Loboland.com Editor

I really thought that the University of New Mexico finally had a men's basketball team that earned the loyalty of their fans.

I was wrong.

I've been around Lobo basketball for 33 seasons. For 32 of those seasons, I knew that UNM had a team that could fold and lose to anyone at any time. I never got my expectations too high because a collapse was possible anytime they walked out on that floor.

I thought this team was different. I was convinced that this Lobo team was for real. It had experience, a good front line and a good backcourt and good chemistry and was smart.

I was wrong.

The main difference between these Lobos and the others who fell flat was that the 2012-13 team played defense. New Mexico forced opponents to take bad shots and actually guarded. This team had real potential.

I was wrong.

This was a team that had the MWC Player of the Year in Kendall Williams and the MWC Tournament MVP in Tony Snell and two big men who had been outstanding at times and a point guard who had developed quickly. I never expected the Player of the Year to be absolutely invisible when he was needed most or that the tournament MVP couldn't hit a 3-pointer on a bet.

I was wrong.

I thought this team had accomplished something by winning the Mountain West Conference during the regular season and in the tournament. A win over UNLV on its home floor was impressive. Beating San Diego State and Colorado State and Boise State was the sign of success because the conference and these teams were so good.

I was wrong.

Now, the mighty MWC is 1-3 in the NCAA, and has not lost to any team seeded above a 13. It's not like they lost to Indiana or Louisville or even Georgetown or Michigan State. No, the losses were to the traditional powerhouses of LaSalle, California and Harvard. The league I thought was so good turns out to be so bad.

I was wrong.

I was disappointed when New Mexico was seeded a lowly third. I truly believed UNM would prove the committee wrong and thought that going to the Final Four was a realistic possibility. This was going to be the Year of the Lobo. New Mexico was finally going to get the credit, the respect and the attention it deserved.

I was wrong.

I thought that coach Steve Alford and athletic director Paul Krebbs were smart to announce a new 10-year contract the day before the Lobos started their march through the NCAA. No one would complain about the big dollars because UNM was on the road to glory.

I was wrong.

But I won't be wrong again. It was a lot easier to take when expectations were lower. Losing was acceptable because UNM had almost always lost when it really counted. You didn't have visions of greatness, only to have them dashed. After the pitiful performance UNM put up against a team that doesn't even offer scholarships, I've given up. Having all five starters back next season means nothing on a team that can just disappear like that. I'd be back to wondering when it would collapse, have a terrible game and lose to an inferior team again.

No, I've had it. I've been to my last Lobo basketball game after covering the team for much of the last 33 years.

Good-bye Lobo basketball.

At first, it was confusing a bit, because LaSalle beat Boise State in the First 8 game...thought he was confusing KSU with being in the MWC.

So now they're 2-3 in the tourney, with SDSU beating Oklahoma, but UNM and UNLV both out.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
I'm guessing Babb will be bothering Thomas and no one for ISU will score 20. Hopefully Lucious can play alright with Craft on him.

Same question I had about ND, but has Ohio State played against a lot of 5-out?

This team has played against alot of different styles. We can get up and down or can play Wisconsin style.

The Wichita St./Gonzaga game should be a good game to watch. I've been looking into Gonzaga's regular season schedule, they went 8-2 against teams who made the NCAA tournament. 3 of those wins were with St. Mary's though. What makes me wonder about Gonzaga is because of the tournament teams they beat.

10. Oklahoma

14. Davidson

15. Pacific

4. Kansas St.

5. Oklahoma St.

11. St. Mary's

All of those teams lost in the round of 64. The two teams they lost to (7. Illinois and 6. Butler) each won their first game. I've been extremely high on Gonzaga all year long, but I thought it was surprising every team they beat has already lost. And this might not mean anything at all, Gonzaga is pretty good, but just how good they are remains to be seen.

Edited by WilliamTell

Awesome comeback from WSU, and coach Gregg Marshall.

Baker has STONES, man.

A 10 point lead just evaporated, like that, in a heartbeat. Just incredible backcourt play down the stretch, and free throw shooting, to boot.

And what the HELL was Stockton doing out there, passing up shot after shot? Definitely not the player his father was.

Van Fleet's a Rockford kid, btw.

And, if California can come back on Syracuse, what an incredible weekend for the PAC-10 compared to pre-tourney expectations.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 23, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
Gonzaga is who I thought they were.

Too be fair, Witchita St. is a bad 3 pt shooting teams that shot out of their ass and the whole game changed when the refs ignored an obvious foul when Olynyk went up for a dunk and then ignored a travel by WSU on the other end which ended up in a 3 for WSU. Plus Bell was hurt and missed basically the whole 2nd half.