This team is a catastrophe right now

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 12:55 PM)
This is the K-Dub plan. You people need to embrace it.

Jared Mitchell > Mike Trout

Courtney Hawkins has 34 strikeouts in 57 plate appearances on the Single A level.

EMBRACE IT

I won't complain about a very raw prospect like Hawkins.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 03:25 PM)
Because they do. They have no patience and bad talent on the MLB squad. I swear the opposition is ALWAYS batting, because the Sox go 1-2-3 so often and when they do get runners on they don't work the count.

I couldn't believe how fast the Sox went out the other night in an inning they actually scored a run. If I'm not mistaken it was the inning DeAza got on third, Kep grounded out and he scored and the next two guys were out on the first pitch. I was amazed. It was an inning like that if not that inning.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
This is the K-Dub plan. You people need to embrace it.

Jared Mitchell > Mike Trout

Courtney Hawkins has 34 strikeouts in 57 plate appearances on the Single A level.

EMBRACE IT

And it is very simple to sit here and second guess all the picks that didn't work out, without offering any of your own opinions when the decisions had to be made.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
And it is very simple to sit here and second guess all the picks that didn't work out, without offering any of your own opinions when the decisions had to be made.

That's why the only reaction here to Mike Trout being drafted was "Well, the Angels sure do love outfielders, don't they".

Because everyone here knew Mike Trout was the best draft pick in history, but no one wanted to say so.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
What is the stat called?

Leverage. It's generally a weak statistic without a very significant sample size.

EDIT: Sorry, you find it in splits. You can find it on B-R too

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)

I wouldn't say Hawkins didn't work out. He is a 19 year old (one of the five youngest in his league) who was drafted less than a year ago. I would say he deserves just a little bit more time before we say he didn't work out.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
Just for giggles, why not lead off Gillaspie?

Maybe go:

Gillaspie, Keppinger, Rios, Konerko, Dunn, Ramirez, Danks, Flowers, De Aza

Just mix it up a little.

I would guess they won't do that simply because Gillaspie's a relatively inexperienced rookie just getting his feet wet...and putting him in the leadoff spot would put more pressure on him. It's not for everyone, as we learned with Nick Swisher.

He's not exactly a fast runner, and I think they would prefer to keep him 6-7 in the line-up so he doesn't have to feel so much pressure to create offense. As soon as he starts to press, he's going to get out of his offensive game, whatever's working well for him now.

Better to leave him alone.

If they want to change things up, then lead off with Danks or Wise or Tekotte or whatever.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 06:52 PM)
Just for giggles, why not lead off Gillaspie?

Maybe go:

Gillaspie, Keppinger, Rios, Konerko, Dunn, Ramirez, Danks, Flowers, De Aza

Just mix it up a little.

Mostly because no one is giggling . Kepp , Dunn 8th and 9th.

DeAza, Alexei, Rios, Konerko, Gillaspie, Ramirez, Danks/Wise,Flowers Kepp, Dunn . Bunch up the hot hitters as much as possible. Dunn out against all lefties. At least Danks or Wise will run well and put the bat on the ball.

Sox need to have a team meeting with Manto and discuss approach. These 1 and 2 pitch at bats have to stop. The team needs to get its head out of its collective ass hitting wise AND DEFENSIVE WISE and start playing baseball or it's gonna be a long long summer.

--p.s. I would love for you all to answer this question honestly. Do you miss AJP? My answer is a resounding "yes" especially after last night's game-winning home run. The man is a winner by and large.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 10:07 PM)
Sox need to have a team meeting with Manto and discuss approach. These 1 and 2 pitch at bats have to stop. The team needs to get its head out of its collective ass hitting wise AND DEFENSIVE WISE and start playing baseball or it's gonna be a long long summer.

--p.s. I would love for you all to answer this question honestly. Do you miss AJP? My answer is a resounding "yes" especially after last night's game-winning home run. The man is a winner by and large.

For a one year contract, yeah I miss AJ. And OMG I couldn't agree with you more on Manto. Where does he get off thinking he is above and beyond modern intelligent thinking when it comes to hitting. From day one there was a red flag. I remember him on 670 the Score essentially trashing the see more pitches, work more counts, value player and team OBP theory of offense. Nevermind, the ancillary benefits of such an approach such as driving up pitch counts, tiring the pitcher earlier (elevated pitches, bullpen earlier), or of course the idea of placing hitters in more predictable hitting friendly counts. I was dumbfounded KW approved this hire. Look at what his approach has done to Dunn in just three weeks worth of playing time.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)
For a one year contract, yeah I miss AJ. And OMG I couldn't agree with you more on Manto. Where does he get off thinking he is above and beyond modern intelligent thinking when it comes to hitting. From day one there was a red flag. I remember him on 670 the Score essentially trashing the see more pitches, work more counts, value player and team OBP theory of offense. Nevermind, the ancillary benefits of such an approach such as driving up pitch counts, tiring the pitcher earlier (elevated pitches, bullpen earlier), or of course the idea of placing hitters in more predictable hitting friendly counts. I was dumbfounded KW approved this hire. Look at what his approach has done to Dunn in just three weeks worth of playing time.

But wasn't Manto also Dunn's hitting coach last year when he made his miraculous recovery from Greg Walker/Ozzie and 2011?

Why would you try to change what has worked with Dunn for over a decade?

It was like Walt Hrniak trying to get Sosa to hit like Frank Thomas...sometimes, you don't tinker with things. Or force everyone to adopt the same style or approach.

All about the offense. Pitching has been tantalizingly good, which is why there is still hope AND all this abject frustration. Imagine if we had just a slight uptick in any offensive category? We could easily be sitting at 500 right now with only a handful of hits. Gotta love baseball.

QUOTE (napa_soxfan @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 05:49 AM)
All about the offense. Pitching has been tantalizingly good, which is why there is still hope AND all this abject frustration. Imagine if we had just a slight uptick in any offensive category? We could easily be sitting at 500 right now with only a handful of hits. Gotta love baseball.

True.

Sox are 4 games out already. If the Sox have another horrific 2 weeks or 3 weeks and drop 8-9 out and remain in last place, I'd say it's Ova and time to sell off anybody Boston or New York might want.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 11:53 PM)
True.

Sox are 4 games out already. If the Sox have another horrific 2 weeks or 3 weeks and drop 8-9 out and remain in last place, I'd say it's Ova and time to sell off anybody Boston or New York might want.

Fire sale in early May!

Genius!

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 03:34 AM)
Fire sale in early May!

Genius!

Well, as someone noted...they need to time things right, and yet they can't hold onto all their pieces waiting for the perfect offer and getting nothing back in return at the trade deadline.

But yeah, might want to wait until the last week of May or the first week of June to start really getting serious about going in that direction.

Everyone remembers what happened in 2010...we were about one or two weeks from a massive sell-off before going 26-5 and taking over first place.