Do you want Ventura back as manager next year?

Buehrle>Wood

Title  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Read

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
No. And I want him replaced with whoever it was that planned the 2012 team's spring training.

Maybe Ozzie just f***ed up the clubhouse so bad that being rid of him made everyone play well in 2012. Now they need an actual manager again, and Robin is not getting the job done.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)
Right now I'd like to see more fire out of Robin; show us, show his team that he's as pissed off as we are.

This. One of Robin's great traits is his levelheadedness. He's consistent, and the players can depend on him to treat them like adults and not scream at them for every mistake. That being said, the defense is on the level of a little league team. I liked what he was doing earlier in the season with early fielding practice before games. He should make it clear the amount of errors is unacceptable.

QUOTE (MaggsOrdonez @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 10:07 PM)
This. One of Robin's great traits is his levelheadedness. He's consistent, and the players can depend on him to treat them like adults and not scream at them for every mistake. That being said, the defense is on the level of a little league team. I liked what he was doing earlier in the season with early fielding practice before games. He should make it clear the amount of errors is unacceptable.

He did that once for 50 minutes. I believe I said at the time they ought to be doing it every game until things improve. That was like a month ago.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 06:44 AM)
I really don't, and I kind of feel bad about it.

If we go young next year, I don't want a laid back guy like him in charge. That would be the time to go after Dave Martinez.

Just bring up guys and let them play. Seems to work for other teams.

#1, having a totalitarian, yelling, screaming manager is not a good thing for young players to deal with.

#2, you have no idea what type of manager Dave Martinez would be. My guess is that he'd do a lot to mimic Joe Maddon. That's pretty laid back.

Yes, I want Ventura back.

Ventura is falling on his sword taking this team through its rebuild. No reason to run him out of town for the mess of a roster that the Sox are throwing out there. The results of KW's handling of the farm system are coming to roost now and there will be a little bit of a dip as the Sox burn off their overpriced contracts and produce quality players from the farm system. Hahn is doing a great job of adding talent into the farm system, the development of that talent is obviously a big question mark. You could tell in free agency this year that this was the direction the team was heading, Keppinger was nice player last year but is really more of a utility guy that will not block any prospects. Hahn really needs some players to start performing to their norms so that he can make some moves, otherwise there isn't much sense in making a deal. I would like to see him talk to San Diego about Amarista and Blanks for some pitching, two guys who dont have a starting role and could play a role for the Sox.

I'm just not watching them...I don't have a clue who the hell should be in charge of what and who shouldn't. I just know that I am not going to allow them to ruin my summer with their horrendous play and lack of fundamental baseball.

Hopefully they will get their s*** together sooner rather than later.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 12:05 PM)
I'm just not watching them...I don't have a clue who the hell should be in charge of what and who shouldn't. I just know that I am not going to allow them to ruin my summer with their horrendous play and lack of fundamental baseball.

Hopefully they will get their s*** together sooner rather than later.

With the exception of the game my little bro got tickets to next weekend, I'm not interested in watching this team at all. I have the same mentality. It wouldn't be so bad if we expected a horrible year...but there was so much to be optimistic about in spring training.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
No.......... I am done with the country club that is the White Sox right now.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
Answer is about Ventura not the team........you should know that by thread topic.

Not by your answer it isn't.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)
Ventura is falling on his sword taking this team through its rebuild. No reason to run him out of town for the mess of a roster that the Sox are throwing out there. The results of KW's handling of the farm system are coming to roost now and there will be a little bit of a dip as the Sox burn off their overpriced contracts and produce quality players from the farm system. Hahn is doing a great job of adding talent into the farm system, the development of that talent is obviously a big question mark. You could tell in free agency this year that this was the direction the team was heading, Keppinger was nice player last year but is really more of a utility guy that will not block any prospects. Hahn really needs some players to start performing to their norms so that he can make some moves, otherwise there isn't much sense in making a deal. I would like to see him talk to San Diego about Amarista and Blanks for some pitching, two guys who dont have a starting role and could play a role for the Sox.

If Ventura was actually doing any of this, I could agree with you. The team isn't. The White Sox expanded their payroll by somewhere in the range of $20-$30 million this year depending on how the bookkeeping is done.

What is really happening is they tried to field another competitive team this year and it has absolutely blown up in an explosion of stupid play, poor focus, poor preparation, and a few injuries to boot.

QUOTE (onedude @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 06:33 PM)
With the exception of the game my little bro got tickets to next weekend, I'm not interested in watching this team at all. I have the same mentality. It wouldn't be so bad if we expected a horrible year...but there was so much to be optimistic about in spring training.

I have to admit I also hate watching them. I've been a Sox fan forever and I know bad baseball is better than no baseball, but I pretty much can't take our anemic offense. I guess it's because it has been the same for so long. The difference is this year we can't even hit enough home runs to win home games. I have no desire to turn on my mlb.com and watch the Sox fail to hit and lose so many close games.

It all started with that Cub series. The team just sucked so badly. It's hard to watch.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
I have to admit I also hate watching them. I've been a Sox fan forever and I know bad baseball is better than no baseball, but I pretty much can't take our anemic offense. I guess it's because it has been the same for so long. The difference is this year we can't even hit enough home runs to win home games. I have no desire to turn on my mlb.com and watch the Sox fail to hit and lose so many close games.

It all started with that Cub series. The team just sucked so badly. It's hard to watch.

Same. I still start with every game but I'm finding myself slip away to do something else earlier and earlier. At first I felt guilty, like a fairweather fan or whatever, but the reality is that watching them just puts me in a bad mood. It's a frustrating end to my day, so I go find something else to unwind with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
If Ventura was actually doing any of this, I could agree with you. The team isn't. The White Sox expanded their payroll by somewhere in the range of $20-$30 million this year depending on how the bookkeeping is done.

What is really happening is they tried to field another competitive team this year and it has absolutely blown up in an explosion of stupid play, poor focus, poor preparation, and a few injuries to boot.

The payroll expansion was a result of scheduled contract increases/arbitration increases. They did try to remain competitive this year on the chance they caught lightning in a bottle like they did last season and they will continue to try field a competitive team as they continue to rebuild to try and sell tickets.

With about $33M coming off the books at the end of the season, I expect that the Sox will resign Gavin Floyd to a team friendly deal with performance incentives and fill in the rest of the gaps with some mid range free agents and farm hands. I think Hahn will try and be an active seller at the deadline, though I am not sure that the Sox have a lot of marketable assets at this time. Beckham and Peavy need to prove healthy and consistent. Ramirez needs to get out of his funk. And there are not many contenders out there that need help in the OF, so moving Rios will prove difficult.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)

This is important, I think. This team isn't great, but it SHOULD be better. Much like they played close to their peak potential most of last year, they are playing close to their floor so far now. It's been a .500ish team in true talent for a couple years, IMO.

I'm not convinced Ventura himself wouldn't click 'no' if he stumbled onto this thread. I do agree that this most likely has less to do with Ventura than it does those he answers to. Still, some of the idiotry we've been treated to (especially on the defensive side of things) shouldn't make it's way on to an MLB diamond unless some high schools are playing there while the Sox are on the road.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

I had to vote no. I know he has next to nothing to work with but I am really surprised he rarely pinch hits nor plays with the lineup at all. The team is bad so why go with the status quo ?

Robin may think not pinch hitting can build a players confidence but the players sucking need to know their lack of production will not be tolerated and their jobs are in seriously jeopardy.

Call it lack of accountability or country club atmosphere , however you want to describe it, but things need to be shook up and fear of demotion, benching, w/e has to be instilled.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)

Excellent post. Really makes sense.