2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Baron @ May 27, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
Honestly it doesnt and shouldnt matter what Hawk has to say on this subject. There is a reason why Aiken and Kolek are ranked so highly...even above the mighty college pitchers. This especially goes for Aiken...the pitches he has at his age are why he is being considered at 1.

Of course hawk's analysis is meaningless to Hahn and who we draft.

I do find it odd that he has found this new subject to randomly rant about every game now. Maybe someone told him something, but that's putting on a tinfoil hat.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 27, 2014 -> 06:35 PM)

I do find it odd that he has found this new subject to randomly rant about every game now. Maybe someone told him something, but that's putting on a tinfoil hat.

He's old man, my grandpa sometimes goes off about bird feeders.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 27, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)

Just wait until the Sox pick a HS pitcher and then his line will be, "He's not your typical HS pitcher, this kid has the makings of a great one."

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 27, 2014 -> 09:39 PM)
That was just a big swing and miss from Law. Ironically, he says Jim Callis's reporting over the years is what he strives for as a reporter. Law says when Callis says something, it's true. Ironcially, Callis's and Law's sources are saying complete opposite things less than two weeks away from the draft.

In his chat last week there was a question on which teams' fans say Law hates them the most and the White Sox were not even mentioned. There was three or four teams mentioned and I think he said it was either the Cubs or the Giants. In any case, Law has been an admirer of Rick Hahn's work in the early going.

As I said, I don't think he hates the white sox, but there did seem to be some antagonism during Kenny Williams reign and I did not see Law with much on the White Sox beside after the fact commentary.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 27, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
Hawk's been saying that first round HS pitchers are bad picks for years. His stance is completely unrelated to this year's situation.

I heard him say that on one of the last broadcasts. I wonder how he will spin his view point if the Sox end up with one of them.

My preferred way of doing this:

1) Kolek at slot or below, pick back otherwise

2) Aiken at slot or below, pick back otherwise

3) Hoffman way under slot, and go with overslot guys from then on

This way we get SP with upside at the top and money to spend elsewhere. Kolek would look wonderful in this farm and on the mound in a Sox uniform & hopefully there are enough questions to get him to slip to #3, because on talent I think he's the #1 with Aiken close behind him. No way do I deal with Borass, but I guess I wouldn't mind drafting Rodon & playing the Hoffman game where you cap it at slot or below and take overslot guys throughout, and then when the window on Rodon starts to close, if he looks unsignable, you make a last minute push and offer Rodon's bonus money to a bunch of overslot guys in the later rounds, and go with the numbers & plan on getting that pick back.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 28, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
My preferred way of doing this:

1) Kolek at slot or below, pick back otherwise

2) Aiken at slot or below, pick back otherwise

3) Hoffman way under slot, and go with overslot guys from then on

This way we get SP with upside at the top and money to spend elsewhere. Kolek would look wonderful in this farm and on the mound in a Sox uniform & hopefully there are enough questions to get him to slip to #3, because on talent I think he's the #1 with Aiken close behind him. No way do I deal with Borass, but I guess I wouldn't mind drafting Rodon & playing the Hoffman game where you cap it at slot or below and take overslot guys throughout, and then when the window on Rodon starts to close, if he looks unsignable, you make a last minute push and offer Rodon's bonus money to a bunch of overslot guys in the later rounds, and go with the numbers & plan on getting that pick back.

You can't do this. If you don't sign the #1 pick you lose the bonus amount assigned to that pick and then receive a compensation pick the following year.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ May 28, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
I don't see any way that the Sox wind up with Hoffman, regardless of what the first couple of picks are.

I agree but just imagine all the potential future 1st round talent you could lock up if you had about $7M or so to spend on your second pick and going forward.

We're probably identifying all kinds of talented kids out there for the later rounds. Some will have strong commitments and will go to school, but throwing $1M in their faces changes things a little. And if you really stop and think about it, we're already out there trying to project 14 year old boys into baseball playing men, and we're already out there prepared to literally throw millions of dollars at kids who were 15 just a few months ago. Going after college freshmen, high school kids, etc. and throwing big money at them seems a whole lot safer to me.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 28, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
You can't do this. If you don't sign the #1 pick you lose the bonus amount assigned to that pick and then receive a compensation pick the following year.

Ah, I didn't know that.

Then I definitely pass on Rodon. No way does he sign for #3 slot money IMO unless HE and his family force the thing through and even then, that goes down to the very day of the deadline. I want a quicker sign and some certainty so I can target the overslot guys. No reason to mess with Borass on a guy Borass feels is the BPA in the draft, that's just a terrible series of negotiations that impacts the whole rest of the draft.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 29, 2014 -> 01:50 AM)
Seth Lakso ‏@SethLakso 4m

More

Per an industry source, this is consensus #whitesox current draft board...

1- Aiken

2- Rodon

3- Kolek

4 - Nola

5- Jackson

Sounds good to me

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 28, 2014 -> 08:50 PM)

More

1- Aiken

2- Rodon

3- Kolek

4 - Nola

5- Jackson

That will work.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 28, 2014 -> 10:25 PM)
I like Kolek the best but will be very happy with one of the top 3. I still never trust these random "sources" when people just throw that out there.

It's that time of year. Much like the week leading up to the NFL draft, can't believe s***.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 28, 2014 -> 08:50 PM)

More

1- Aiken

2- Rodon

3- Kolek

4 - Nola

5- Jackson

Yeah thats exactly my top five. Thus I choose to believe in Seth Lasko's "source!"