Avisail Garcia is the truth.

Steve9347

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
I'm excited about him too, but let's not make him this into the next Gordon Beckham thread quite yet :P

The biggest reason to be hopeful, to me, isn't that slash line (anyone can get hot for ten games), but the fact that he's been selective. He hasn't started walking yet, but if he keeps his O-Swing around league average like he has, the walks will come. And if they don't, it's fine because if he's only swinging at good pitches, he's going to be finding plenty of hits anyway.

Still, it is refreshing to see the Sox winning since they acquired him and him being a big part of it. When you see him get 3 of the total 5 hits in yesterdays game , instinctively you think he's already a better hitter than anyone the Sox have. Like you said , he'll have to take his walks because he'll be getting less good pitches to hit when the chance of him hurting the other team becomes more apparent. I think his 1st HR , probably an oppo one will come any day now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)
Hits in 7 straight games.

Triple slash with White Sox?

.341 / .386 / .850

But don't trade Jake Peavy - the fans will stop coming!!!!!

Still tough to trade proven major league pitching for prospects. However the Sox had a number of good starting candidates and the offense needed desperate help. At least the Sox got a couple of possible arms back as well.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
I guess it's relevant to this thread, is anyone else disappointed about the prospects we received from the Red Sox? I mean Montas has a big arm and control issues so he's a wild card but the other two? eh

I was really hoping for Garcia and Ranuado. That would have been a home run.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 04:57 AM)
I guess it's relevant to this thread, is anyone else disappointed about the prospects we received from the Red Sox? I mean Montas has a big arm and control issues so he's a wild card but the other two? eh

Yes. Not making the Red Sox pay more was bad bad bad. Blame both the Tigers and Sox for that though.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 11:57 PM)

I think it's about 2-3 years too early to say I don't like the guys we got. Obviously right off the bat they are not high ceiling prospects, but things can change. I really just see this trade as Peavy for Garcia + salary relief. Anything we get them the other 3 guys is a bonus IMO.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 04:57 AM)

I was hoping for Middlebrooks and Garcia

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)

Meh, to use the Garza deal as reference, Garcia>>>Olt, who btw is batting .128 in 26 games with the Cubs. Throw in the 15M saved that can be used for a guy like Abreu and I think we came out better than they did. Sure CJ Edwards looks real good but he's still only in A+, we have guys in A+ that are looking just as impressive and hardly no one talks about them.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 11:47 PM)
At Winston-Salem? Who could you be talking about? Edwards is top 2 in our system if he isn't number 1.

The best we have to offer for starting pitching at W-S is Jaye.

I was looking at the wrong team..I fail...I was looking at Jake Cose's Kanny stats.

But still, the 14.5M could be huge if they wanna be players in the FA market.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 12:08 AM)
Yeah, Edwards is definitely a nice prospect though but the point was that the package received from the Red Sox was weak, all other things considered.

I will once again say meh, If Garcia turns into the player we all hope he is then I wouldn't call it weak. Had the Sox taken on some $$ then the return would have been better. I'm hoping the fact that they didn't chip in any money means they will put that into free agency....14.5M in savings is nothing to ignore. That could end up being Abreu and a good RP.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 12:32 AM)
I think that's a silly argument. Players are valued on their value. That includes potential, performance, past performance, age, etc. None of the guys were held in any high regard. Montas was average. At the time of the trade, these guys were either fringe prospects or C guys. Obviously, trades are assessed before and with hindsight. We can only make one of those judgments right now.

Regardless of what players we got in return if people were told we traded Jake Peavy for a Avisail Garcia, and a third team's #23 prospect and 2 outside of their top 40 they would be upset with prospects in return.

I said "right off the bat they are not high ceiling guys", meaning yes, right now they are nothing of value, but my point is that those 3 guys are just a bonus if any of them pan out, Garcia was the most valuable player for us traded in that entire deal, between the 3 teams. What I mean is, put all 8 of those guys up for grabs (or however many moved), and let the Sox pick 1 guy, they'd choose Garcia every time.

I don't disagree that it would have been nicer to get Garcia + one other good prospect, instead of 3 fringe guys, but I don't think it's really a big deal when you consider we got Garcia and shed a good amount of money.