2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

Dallas Buyer's Club and Lone Survivor are really strong movies.

Matthew McConaughey's gone from something of a joke to another Ben Affleck/Christian Bale in the course of just a couple of years (The Lincoln Lawyer, Magic Mike, Killer Joe, Mud and Dallas Buyer's Club).

It's going to be a shame if he's not nominated for an Oscar.

Just not sure enough people (outside of critics) have seen DBC or Lone Survivor. Crosses fingers they get the recognition they deserve.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 08:09 PM)
The Wolf of Wall Street was nuts.

I saw this on Saturday and thought it was entertaining. I haven't read the book, but to me, it was way too predictable and it seems like a movie that has already been made.

A good one to watch, but I don't think it's one that is award-worthy.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 09:09 PM)
I'd probably pass on seeing the female version but I couldn't be certain until I saw a trailer for it and who's actually in it. Give me Angelina Jolie and I'm in!

Kate Beckinsale is also good in action movies and hot to boot.

Watched Bad Grandpa last night. Loved the actual scenes where they are messing with people, but all the stuff in the middle between the boy and Johnny Knoxville pretending that its real life was just stupid. We know it's all fake. No one actually cares about the storyline, we just want to see people get f***ed with, and those scenes were great. When his balls fall out at the strip club, and then when he s***s on the wall.....hahaha, oh my god.

I'm not going to play Moral Police but I don't see how you can watch movies on a computer. I'd rather pay and see it on a big screen if I can.

I'll rent Documentaries and Indy films and watch them on my ipad on the train rides but would prefer big screens more often than not.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 06:16 PM)
Blue Jasmine and a "medium quality" version of Wolf of Wall Street are online now.

Really with these posts?

Let it go. People are perfectly capable of Googling movies to see if they can be found. We all know one can download stuff illegally. What purpose do these posts serve?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 05:48 AM)
I'm not going to play Moral Police but I don't see how you can watch movies on a computer. I'd rather pay and see it on a big screen if I can.

I'll rent Documentaries and Indy films and watch them on my ipad on the train rides but would prefer big screens more often than not.

I watch them on a 52" TV. Sometimes a the 32" TV in my room if it's real late at night and I may fall asleep.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 05:48 AM)

USB drives be crazy.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 08:20 PM)
Blue Jasmine was great.

Funny how you call it dumb but said it had great characters and performances. It was the definition of a character piece.

I just didn't care about the storyline...like...at all. She used to be rich, her husband was a fraud, now she isn't rich, is f***ed up mentally, and lives with her sister in a life she is trying to get away from. She could have been shot in the head or married that guy in the end and I wouldn't have cared either way. Apparently it's just not my type of movie I guess.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
Really with these posts?

Let it go. People are perfectly capable of Googling movies to see if they can be found. We all know one can download stuff illegally. What purpose do these posts serve?

All of the films he has mentioned can currently be streamed from a slew of different streaming sources. So as far as I am concerned, and naturally I am a nobody in the eyes of the people running this place, he has not done a thing wrong. Everyone else has mentioned ""torrent", "torrenting", and "illegal" while he has not uttered those specific words in regards to how he gets his films. Now if he were the one uploading these films to the streaming sites, well he would be in rather big trouble, so as long there is no substantial evidence that he is doing so, where exactly does the problem lie? To my knowledge there are only pending acts against people viewing films via streaming.

I would love to hear Jason chime in, and see if he has a problem with people being informed about something that to my knowledge is completely legal. Just because something is frowned upon, should discussion cease to exist because it ruffles some feathers? Look no further than the filibuster. Feather ruffling to the extreme, and just look how active it is?

The filibuster should be shut down if anything, talk about lousy, uneducated (on average) discussion, that seemingly never gets anyone, anywhere. Oh, and guess what, I have posted in that garbage portion of this forum and I never "signed" that ridiculous agreement. Looks like I deserve punishment for such an insidious crime. Please, go lightly on me, I beg of you, as I am so looking forward to posting in abundance again, and going back to my old ways of pissing off those that deserve such. Far too many dross like posters get away with being nasty towards others on here without having the backbone to come right out and say what they mean. They go the cutesy route, play it safe, even though everyone can read between the lines and know damn well what they are insinuating. Pathetic.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 06:24 AM)
All of the films he has mentioned can currently be streamed from a slew of different streaming sources. So as far as I am concerned, and naturally I am a nobody in the eyes of the people running this place, he has not done a thing wrong. Everyone else has mentioned ""torrent", "torrenting", and "illegal" while he has not uttered those specific words in regards to how he gets his films. Now if he were the one uploading these films to the streaming sites, well he would be in rather big trouble, so as long there is no substantial evidence that he is doing so, where exactly does the problem lie? To my knowledge there are only pending acts against people viewing films via streaming.

I would love to hear Jason chime in, and see if he has a problem with people being informed about something that to my knowledge is completely legal. Just because something is frowned upon, should discussion cease to exist because it ruffles some feathers? Look no further than the filibuster. Feather ruffling to the extreme, and just look how active it is?

The filibuster should be shut down if anything, talk about lousy, uneducated (on average) discussion, that seemingly never gets anyone, anywhere. Oh, and guess what, I have posted in that garbage portion of this forum and I never "signed" that ridiculous agreement. Looks like I deserve punishment for such an insidious crime. Please, go lightly on me, I beg of you, as I am so looking forward to posting in abundance again, and going back to my old ways of pissing off those that deserve such. Far too many dross like posters get away with being nasty towards others on here without having the backbone to come right out and say what they mean. They go the cutesy route, play it safe, even though everyone can read between the lines and know damn well what they are insinuating. Pathetic.

um, OK.

First, Jason already did chime in on this. In fact it was discussed with Jason and other Mods/Admins, and we agreed that as long as there are no direct links or files involved, it is fine. Which it is.

Second, what makes you think my post was in any way, shape or form, me saying someone would be penalized? Did I say anything like that at all? You seem to have made an interperetation here not founded in fact.

Third, what the hell does the Buster have to do with this? I rarely post in there myself anymore anyway, let alone moderate it.

Fourth and finally, your hyperbole is pretty hilarious. Cease all discussion? WTF are you talking about?

ALso for the record, I was posting at Joe because I found his posts irritating, which of course is why he is doing it. I just think he is derailing a good thread by making posts solely for the purpose of irritating other posters who brought it up (long before I ever said anything, so no, not talking about myself here). That, my friend, is what is "cutesy".

I may have b****ed about it, but now I've been waiting for Joe to post that the DVD screener of Wolf of Wall Street is available, because I want to see it again (already paid my $$ to see it in the theater, though). It'd make for fun treadmill watching.

The little bastard hooked me with his posts and now I crave the updates. :lol: Guess I'll call that an apology.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Maybe I missed something, but I watched Lone Survivor and American Hustle back-to-back and I'm 100% sure that Lone Survivor was a better picture.

I'm just not getting all the love for American Hustle. I don't think I've ever disliked Bradley Cooper or Jennifer Lawrence as much as I did in this picture (yes, I know, they made themselves unlikable, not easy for them to do...great performance, etc.) Amy Adams was solid, and Christian Bale was also quite good, but there's just no way it's a Top 5 picture of the year.

I thought both actors were phenomenal. Lawrence especially. Every scene she is in she steals the show.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
ALso for the record, I was posting at Joe because I found his posts irritating, which of course is why he is doing it. I just think he is derailing a good thread by making posts solely for the purpose of irritating other posters who brought it up (long before I ever said anything, so no, not talking about myself here). That, my friend, is what is "cutesy".

Lol, yeah, I'm just trying to enrage people with my offensive posts about Blue Jasmine being found online. Clearly you've arrived at this way-off-base destination simply because since I've begun doing it, some people have for whatever reason (read: no good reason) have been annoyed by it and that hasn't caused me to stop. You act like I started doing this directly after some conversation started where everyone said not to do it, and I decided to say "f*** YOU GUYS" and start doing it. No. I did it, then people complained, then I continued giving no f***s because people whining for no reason isn't going to make me ruin it for people who have already expressed value in me posting it for them.

Like someone said in the 2013 thread, this is one of the dumbest conversations on this site right now. When will people learn to ignore a 1 sentence post made once every day or two? Somehow that doesn't seem like a burden.