Attendance

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (SmashROT @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
The K-Zone deal is a pretty cool gimmick. I've seen the section near full in the two Sale starts I have attended. With that said, it's 980 seats or something. This really has very little impact on the overall attendance. If say, half of those fans were planning on attending the game anyway, what are we talking about here? 400-500 attendance bump per Sale start? Small potatoes.

It isn't enough alone, but it's stuff LIKE this that create a unique an exciting environment and, thus, give the stadium experience some actual advantages to other mediums.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jon greenberg ‏@jon_greenberg 20m

Aside from his Opening Day start, Sox averaging 18,464 fans in six Sale starts. Sox season average: 19,765.

What needs to be said is that this is BS number manipulation. Throw out opening day as an attendance fluke, right? So why not throw out the Yankees series as a fluke for the same reason when it comes to games Sale didn't start? The same idea still holds true, that assloads of people were going to those games no matter what. Take out the Yankees starts without Sale, and the number drops to 18,463. Not as good of another attendance story then, is it?

I know people who won't pick up a golf club cause it's too expensive a sport to play. I know people who won't go to a baseball game cause they are used to the days you could go, get a great seat on the cheap and eat and drink at the park on the cheap and now it's just too much cash.

I know people don't want to hear it -- KC talk show hosts scoff at people balking at 60 dollar tickets -- but folks, it's true.

I know you can get a cheap ticket in the upper tank at Sox games but hey, even 20 bucks per ticket is too much for a lot of dads when you multiply it by a couple kids.

Say what you want, baseball is not an elitist sport. There was no reason to pays these guys this amount of cash to play a game they'd play for pennies.

Go ahead and flame me, but it's the cost, people. It's the cost. (And I do commend the Sox for having special Sundays, etc.) My guess is the one day or two days a year a dad or mom will bring the family he/she does take advantage of the special Sunday rates or whatever. But I'd guess aside from rabid fans it's a one or two games at the most per summer for most people in the middle class or unemployed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
jon greenberg ‏@jon_greenberg 20m

Aside from his Opening Day start, Sox averaging 18,464 fans in six Sale starts. Sox season average: 19,765.

What needs to be said is that this is BS number manipulation. Throw out opening day as an attendance fluke, right? So why not throw out the Yankees series as a fluke for the same reason when it comes to games Sale didn't start? The same idea still holds true, that assloads of people were going to those games no matter what. Take out the Yankees starts without Sale, and the number drops to 18,463. Not as good of another attendance story then, is it?

FWIW, if you add back Opening Day, Sale's # jumps to 21,172.

To me personally I have enough stuff to do (even though it doesn't seem like it via my posting habits) to where I don't need to see X number of games per year. And the atmosphere is one thing, but I really couldn't care less about any of that.

That quote by Ultimate Champion on here pretty much says it all. I'm sure TONS of people in Chicago share his sentiment.

The K Zone was pretty full last night. I think it is working pretty well. I was going to buy a ticket, but when you are just looking for one, you can get some cheap tickets. Plus I didn't need another t-shirt. $10 for a $40 seat last night. He wanted $20, I declined, he said $10. This is all over the park, cheap ass tickets.

If you are going to go to the game, there is ZERO reason to buy a ticket on whitesox.com. Buy at the box office and save the fees. If the crowd is looking light, like it was all week, they don't even check tickets. Buy $7 seat, which is available every game, and walk downstairs. Or if they are checking, go towards a better seat, go higher up, and enjoy the game. You can't b**** about price if you want a good seat, you most always pay for what you get. Dynamic Pricing doesn't change the price of the $7 and $15 tickets that they have for every game. When they get decent again, these deals will be gone, so use them up!

I don't think that the big clubs really avoid promotions. The Angels give away the kitchen sink. They charge next to nothing for parking ($7 when I would go, might be $10 now) and the tickets were always decent priced. Paid $36 for Game 3 of the ALCS in the upper deck. Can you imagine that in Chicago? Regular season games I rarely spent more than $25 for decent seats. Same with the Dodgers. They have tons of giveaways too! San Fran. Milwaukee.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
I know people who won't pick up a golf club cause it's too expensive a sport to play. I know people who won't go to a baseball game cause they are used to the days you could go, get a great seat on the cheap and eat and drink at the park on the cheap and now it's just too much cash.

I know people don't want to hear it -- KC talk show hosts scoff at people balking at 60 dollar tickets -- but folks, it's true.

I know you can get a cheap ticket in the upper tank at Sox games but hey, even 20 bucks per ticket is too much for a lot of dads when you multiply it by a couple kids.

Say what you want, baseball is not an elitist sport. There was no reason to pays these guys this amount of cash to play a game they'd play for pennies.

Go ahead and flame me, but it's the cost, people. It's the cost. (And I do commend the Sox for having special Sundays, etc.) My guess is the one day or two days a year a dad or mom will bring the family he/she does take advantage of the special Sunday rates or whatever. But I'd guess aside from rabid fans it's a one or two games at the most per summer for most people in the middle class or unemployed.

When was it ever "cheap" to eat and drink at the park? I must have missed those days. ;)

It can be expensive, but it can also be very, very, very cheap. You can sit downstairs, every game, for $15. You can sit in the uppers for $7, and have pretty much your choice of seats. Take the kids when Sale is pitching, get a ticket, shirt and a poster for $20. Parking sucks, but you can park at Buffalo Wings and Things for free. They even have a shuttle to and from. Shaller's you can park for free but you have to walk.

I think what it comes down to is convenience and laziness. You can bring in your own food and water. Your own snacks. You can tailgate! That makes up for the $20 parking fee. Hell, the hot dog place up the street sells a hot dog with fries for under $5. Pops under $2. Guys sell waters 2 for $1 OUTSIDE the park. But every game there is at least 15 people buying $5 waters. But you have to put in effort. So, if a fan who b****es about cost is really concerned about it, they would take these steps to make it cheaper. It's a tired excuse, the real reason is some people are just bad fans. Don't go, that's fine, but don't put in on the Sox because you don't go. They have made cost friendly for everyone. Time for a new excuse.

As far as what these guys get paid, it pales in comparison to what the owners make. They guys on the field should get paid. Until we stop watching and going, they will.

I was in the first row of the UD last night. Tickets were $16. I was more than willing to pay for beer and food at the park but I realize that is another story. $16 to see Sale vs Scherzer. Some 3D movies at the theater cost almost $16.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
Just taking a quick glance, I'm surprised Philadelphia and Baltimore are that high.

And that Kansas City is so low when they have about the same run as the Blue Jays without a playoff team...fwiw, the White Sox and Indians' fanbases have been compared a lot, in terms of sensitivity to winning teams, sometimes contemptuous relationships with the owners (Dolan selling off the team's best players twice in the past 10-15 years, White Flag trade for the Sox), Midwestern cities, more "blue collar" although that stereotype has been changing over the last decade.

Edited by caulfield12

I realize the BlackHawks play half as many home games, but the seats next to mine at the United Center 10 rows back in the upper deck corner sell for $100+ every home game on StubHub. And they are full every time, very often with families of four. Buying beer and Hawks shirts and nachos and $6 sodas. These families are spending $600 or $700 just to go to a Hawks game, yet nobody has any money to buy a $20 Sox ticket? Bulls***.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 09:35 PM)
I realize the BlackHawks play half as many home games, but the seats next to mine at the United Center 10 rows back in the upper deck corner sell for $100+ every home game on StubHub. And they are full every time, very often with families of four. Buying beer and Hawks shirts and nachos and $6 sodas. These families are spending $600 or $700 just to go to a Hawks game, yet nobody has any money to buy a $20 Sox ticket? Bulls***.

Yup. At this point Hawks games are an event. Sox games are just that, a game.

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
When was it ever "cheap" to eat and drink at the park? I must have missed those days. ;)

It can be expensive, but it can also be very, very, very cheap. You can sit downstairs, every game, for $15. You can sit in the uppers for $7, and have pretty much your choice of seats. Take the kids when Sale is pitching, get a ticket, shirt and a poster for $20. Parking sucks, but you can park at Buffalo Wings and Things for free. They even have a shuttle to and from. Shaller's you can park for free but you have to walk.

I think what it comes down to is convenience and laziness. You can bring in your own food and water. Your own snacks. You can tailgate! That makes up for the $20 parking fee. Hell, the hot dog place up the street sells a hot dog with fries for under $5. Pops under $2. Guys sell waters 2 for $1 OUTSIDE the park. But every game there is at least 15 people buying $5 waters. But you have to put in effort. So, if a fan who b****es about cost is really concerned about it, they would take these steps to make it cheaper. It's a tired excuse, the real reason is some people are just bad fans. Don't go, that's fine, but don't put in on the Sox because you don't go. They have made cost friendly for everyone. Time for a new excuse.

As far as what these guys get paid, it pales in comparison to what the owners make. They guys on the field should get paid. Until we stop watching and going, they will.

Well this was predictable. These attendance threads always wind up having the same feel from year to year.

1.) Shock and awe because how could real sox fans not go to the X game with X pitcher playing. 18k fans.

2.) Counter arguments about how inflation is an evil beast, 10 f***ing bucks for X foot/drink item.

3.) The Geographically challenged Sox fan who if only they lived 1500 miles closer would buy a season ticket plan, plant sox flags in their yard, shoot tshirts with the pride crew.

4.) The superfan. They went to X more games than you. How the f*** can you call yourself a sox fan. The TV doesnt count in their world.

5.) Grumblings about millionaires playing baseball.

6.) Threats to move team.

7.) Blame X person in Sox Management for being out of touch.

8.) The self loathing sox fan who is kind of like the superfan, however likes the park empty because they can pee without waiting in a line, like the roomy seats, no lines for concessions and get to tell their buddies how they suck as sox fans.

You want to solve this problem. It involves boosting season ticket sales. Plain and simple. You are not going to get 20k walkup on a thursday night game no matter who the f*** is pitching. Season ticket sales is the key. And I am sorry that takes a few years to build up. Rebuilding teams that are coming off of near 100 loss seasons are not adding to their season ticket base.

No I haven't been to any games this year. Its not money, its not that they are bad. I am in another category that happen as well. The oversubscribed parent of a travel baseball player. Between games, practices, and tournaments there are some of us who don't have time to go. In August when this is over, I will do my good to embrace my fandom and take my family to the park. But until then it has to wait. I will be a terrible fan who uses my phone, my laptop and dare say it my TV to keep up with the Sox. Watching my son play the game is still a better use of my time than watching the sox any day. If that makes me a bad fan, then so be it.

Go Sox

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)
Well this was predictable. These attendance threads always wind up having the same feel from year to year.

1.) Shock and awe because how could real sox fans not go to the X game with X pitcher playing. 18k fans.

2.) Counter arguments about how inflation is an evil beast, 10 f***ing bucks for X foot/drink item.

3.) The Geographically challenged Sox fan who if only they lived 1500 miles closer would buy a season ticket plan, plant sox flags in their yard, shoot tshirts with the pride crew.

4.) The superfan. They went to X more games than you. How the f*** can you call yourself a sox fan. The TV doesnt count in their world.

5.) Grumblings about millionaires playing baseball.

6.) Threats to move team.

7.) Blame X person in Sox Management for being out of touch.

8.) The self loathing sox fan who is kind of like the superfan, however likes the park empty because they can pee without waiting in a line, like the roomy seats, no lines for concessions and get to tell their buddies how they suck as sox fans.

You want to solve this problem. It involves boosting season ticket sales. Plain and simple. You are not going to get 20k walkup on a thursday night game no matter who the f*** is pitching. Season ticket sales is the key. And I am sorry that takes a few years to build up. Rebuilding teams that are coming off of near 100 loss seasons are not adding to their season ticket base.

No I haven't been to any games this year. Its not money, its not that they are bad. I am in another category that happen as well. The oversubscribed parent of a travel baseball player. Between games, practices, and tournaments there are some of us who don't have time to go. In August when this is over, I will do my good to embrace my fandom and take my family to the park. But until then it has to wait. I will be a terrible fan who uses my phone, my laptop and dare say it my TV to keep up with the Sox. Watching my son play the game is still a better use of my time than watching the sox any day. If that makes me a bad fan, then so be it.

Go Sox

This is a huge reason families don't go much. You have identified it. Parents have to take their kids everywhere to watch them play sports and do other things all summer. If a mom/dad has/have more than one child, almost every evening is occupied.

Yes, kids are playing sports sports sports and it's all organized. Kids also are entering dance recitals and all sorts of things that parents have to chauffeur them to and watch.

When I was little, we played in our Mt. Greenwood neighborhoods and had a reasonable Little League schedule. Not a ton of games. I think my dad came to one of my games, when we made the playoffs. After the game he grudgingly said he was shocked at how good a third baseman I was. He did not come to our second playoff game or our World Series games. I rode my bike to my Little League games and never got kidnapped and i didn't miss my parents who did not come to watch me.

We had one travel team, the all star team for our Little League and that team didn't play many games.

Parents are way more involved nowadays. Kids are not allowed to do anything much on their own lest somebody kidnap them, so parents really do not have time to go to White Sox ballgames.

And most of these parents are not lamenting that fact much, cause they can watch parts of Sox games on TV or on their phones as you said and they don't have to spend a lot of money at the park.

There also are so many baseball games, they are not special when the team has a ceiling of .500.

Sure it's great to go to the park, but it's something not really missed because of the exorbitant cost and the ready-made excuse that the kids need a ride to their games. No parent alive will let their child ride their bike to their Little League game unchaperoned. No parent will risk their child's mental health by heaven forbid not being in attendance for every one of their games.

So the family goes to one Sox game maybe two a year and everybody's more than good with that.

Your post was excellent.

Edited by greg775

Sox Kids club is FREE. And gives EACH kids FOUR FREE TICKETS.

A family of four can go to two games free on the sox.

I just made cost a non-issue.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
And that is the problem with dynamic pricing raising prices instead of lowering them for unsold tickets as the game draws near. I would use Stubhub myself. It is a reason many season ticketholders, at least those with the smaller plans bailed. They can save money by having others take a bath.

The $7/20 tickets do not go up or down.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
Then that might require new ownership, because Mr. Reinsdorf & Co. are in Year #34 of their control of this team, and they have yet to build a sustainable winning ballclub in that period of time. No White Sox team under their rule has made it to the playoffs in consecutive years. And outside of 2005, there have only been four other playoff appearances since 1981 when they took over, and the combined number of victories in those four appearances is four. An absolutely dreadful record of performance. So if improving attendance is predicated on sustainable success, then perhaps its time to bring in an ownership group that could actually figure out how to make that happen.

The Sox have NEVER made two consecutive postseason appearnaces. It's not a Jerry thing. Never happened under veeck, comiskey, or either allyn brother.

That's because the Hawks are good now. When the Hawks were bad, those people were not there (in fact, few people were). If the Sox are good, those people appear at USCF. That's just how it goes. The Cubs have the mystique of a park where they've never won anything, and football has 8 home games per year. Other teams need to be competitive to draw. Fact is, the White Sox are the 2nd team in town as far as popularity, and I'm not sure how they can overtake the Cubs (or that they can at all).

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)
That's because the Hawks are good now. When the Hawks were bad, those people were not there (in fact, few people were). If the Sox are good, those people appear at USCF. That's just how it goes. The Cubs have the mystique of a park where they've never won anything, and football has 8 home games per year. Other teams need to be competitive to draw. Fact is, the White Sox are the 2nd team in town as far as popularity, and I'm not sure how they can overtake the Cubs (or that they can at all).

Yup, and that's been my point throughout this thread. If the Sox went on a run like the San Francisco Giants, people would feel privileged to buy those "expensive" tickets. But instead they have one playoff appearance in 8 years and no one wants to go.

Families aren't being out priced, they just aren't excited enough about the product on the field to spend the money.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
Yup, and that's been my point throughout this thread. If the Sox went on a run like the San Francisco Giants, people would feel privileged to buy those "expensive" tickets. But instead they have one playoff appearance in 8 years and no one wants to go.

Families aren't being out priced, they just aren't excited enough about the product on the field to spend the money.

Absolutely. Most teams need to win to draw, and the Sox need it more than most, it seems. Or maybe it's just magnified because there's another option in town, and one that's more popular at that.

It could be a family has $600-700 to spend on sporting events and they choose the Hawks over the Sox. (Wonder why?)

Most of this thread has provided tremendous entertainment, but lets take it to the next level by having the posters state how many games they have gone to and how much money they have spent at Sox park. What do you say?????

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
Haha back to back calls on 670 this morning said they won't attend Sox games because Adam Dunn is on the team. "They'd rather see Konerko out there". The Bulls have the dumbest fan base in this city but White Sox fans can be hilarious.

Did the Bears leave Chicago?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
In Chris Sale's 6 home starts other than opening day, the team has averaged 18,600 fans per game. Pretty much all that needs to be said.

Personally, I go to the games because 1. I love baseball 2. I'm a fan of the White Sox. I don't go for a single player.

I have weekend season tickets but with two kids involved in sports it's difficult to find the time to go.