Avisail Garcia is out for the rest of 2014

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
It would be more challenging in the right as it would be the throwing shoulder. He should recover fine.

His throwing shoulder isn't as important though as his lead shoulder when swinging. I think this is one of the worst injuries a power hitter can have.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm beyond sad right now. This was supposed to be a year of growth for him. :( Here's to a speedy recovery!! He is such an important piece to our future. Looking at the positives here:

1) more playing time for both Viciedo and De Aza which will hopefully increase trade value.

2) gives the other Danks a chance to impress as the 4th OF, perhaps a chance of earning that same role for 2015.

3) this was a designed year for growth anyway, it will not hurt to earn another top 10 pick in 2015.

At least we still have Eaton and Abreu to watch. Both of these dudes look legit. I can't wait to see Davidson later this year too!

Welcome to why rebuilding is dangerous. It doesn't take much to push it back a year... and another year... and another year. Awful for Garcia. He just seemed like he was coming together at the plate, but I agree that watching him in RF, you could almost see an injury coming. He looked like he already hurt himself on the same sort of dive over opening weekend.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 05:43 PM)
Welcome to why rebuilding is dangerous. It doesn't take much to push it back a year... and another year... and another year. Awful for Garcia. He just seemed like he was coming together at the plate, but I agree that watching him in RF, you could almost see an injury coming. He looked like he already hurt himself on the same sort of dive over opening weekend.

His future should be as a LF. That position is much easier to handle.

You just wonder after the dive last week, and with his size, why the outfield instructor/s didn't start working with him on the patented Magglio Ordonez sliding catch?

Or, more importantly, why the Tigers didn't as well? Letting Manny be Manny, maybe coaches nowadays just defer to letting the players do whatever they want. Doesn't make much sense from the club's perspective, though.

Well, if nothing else, it turned out to be fortunate to have Viciedo and DeAza both on the roster instead of traded in the offseason. Maybe they both can relax now, knowing they're not fighting each other for playing time every day and every at-bat, even though they SEEMED like they were handling it okay so far.

@scotgregor: #WhiteSox acquire OF Gorkys Hernandez in minor-league trade with Royals. He'll report to Triple-A Charlotte

Royals signed OF Gorkys Hernandez to a minor league contract.

The 26-year-old, whom the Royals acquired from the Marlins in July, hit .263/.318/.367 with 25 stolen bases in the minors last season. Hernandez' star has fallen quite a bit since being considered a top prospect, and he'll serve as organizational depth for the Royals. Sat, Nov 23, 2013 08:09:00 PM

Little info on him

Edited by Bigsoxhurt35

It's rather silly to me that people think you can work on a dive/slide and apply it to a given situation like what happened to Garcia. That was a split second decision to go for it, and a foot first slide most likely would have resulted in no catch and possibly the ball getting past him. It sucks that he got hurt, but s*** happens. Players get injured doing normal things like running to first base and misstepping on the bag(machado, knee), sliding into secnd(morneau, concussion) or even the much preferred foot first slide(glen Allen hill absolutely destroyed his arm/wrist)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 06:21 PM)
It's rather silly to me that people think you can work on a dive/slide and apply it to a given situation like what happened to Garcia. That was a split second decision to go for it, and a foot first slide most likely would have resulted in no catch and possibly the ball getting past him. It sucks that he got hurt, but s*** happens. Players get injured doing normal things like running to first base and misstepping on the bag(machado, knee), sliding into secnd(morneau, concussion) or even the much preferred foot first slide(glen Allen hill absolutely destroyed his arm/wrist)

This.

Wayyyyyyy too much over-analyzing going on in here.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 07:02 PM)
You just wonder after the dive last week, and with his size, why the outfield instructor/s didn't start working with him on the patented Magglio Ordonez sliding catch?

Or, more importantly, why the Tigers didn't as well? Letting Manny be Manny, maybe coaches nowadays just defer to letting the players do whatever they want. Doesn't make much sense from the club's perspective, though.

Well, if nothing else, it turned out to be fortunate to have Viciedo and DeAza both on the roster instead of traded in the offseason. Maybe they both can relax now, knowing they're not fighting each other for playing time every day and every at-bat, even though they SEEMED like they were handling it okay so far.

Probably because it's only been a week since the last terrible slide and he has a lot of things to work on, like pulling the ball high& tight to LF like we just saw him successfully do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
Seriously...anyone writing this didn't watch Garcia's dive last week. Unless someone got him to stop doing that, he was going to damage something while diving.

Yeah, I thought the one last week when he had to come out of the game looked worse. Faceplant and all.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 06:27 PM)
Ya Hamilton just got hurt on a slide into first

This is something that is teachable. Sliding into first is a decision that isn't really likely to work out in your favor, both being safe and likelihood of being injured. But trying to tell an outfielder not to lay out anymore will take away his aggressiveness in close balls and probably mess up how he attacks a ball.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 07:58 PM)
This is something that is teachable. Sliding into first is a decision that isn't really likely to work out in your favor, both being safe and likelihood of being injured. But trying to tell an outfielder not to lay out anymore will take away his aggressiveness in close balls and probably mess up how he attacks a ball.

I gotta disagree here after seeing Garcia. I don't know if there's a technique to diving, but if there is he's terrible at it. Maybe its' a body type thing too, that could be important I don't know, but if he lays out like that for fly balls for a couple years then he's going to be the next Winter Soldier. He nearly broke his wrist and cost him the season last week, and it took him less than a week to do it again.

Either there's technique he needs to learn about how to do it, or he needs to stop and learn the Ordonez slow down big guy slide.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 07:05 PM)
I gotta disagree here after seeing Garcia. I don't know if there's a technique to diving, but if there is he's terrible at it. Maybe its' a body type thing too, that could be important I don't know, but if he lays out like that for fly balls for a couple years then he's going to be the next Winter Soldier. He nearly broke his wrist and cost him the season last week, and it took him less than a week to do it again.

Either there's technique he needs to learn about how to do it, or he needs to stop and learn the Ordonez slow down big guy slide.

One guy injures himself and we all know how he needs to train how to play. Sure

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 05:25 PM)
His throwing shoulder isn't as important though as his lead shoulder when swinging. I think this is one of the worst injuries a power hitter can have.

A wrist injury would be worse. At the shoulder, a 3rd degree separation would have been worse. They can fix this one and have a good success rate with it. He will be fine by spring training. He could probably be ready by September but by that time why push it much, unless they want to get him some at bats.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)
On the bright side, there is no bright side

On the bright side - Garcia will be greatly pained by having to be sidelined. When he comes back you best damn well know that he will be working on his routes and will no longer belly flop into the grass with his shoulder.