2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

Chris (KC)

Do you think Bukauskas will sign? How about Montes de Oca?

Klaw (2:05 PM)

No to both. I think the WSox took BMdO as a backup plan in case Rodon doesn't sign - offer the kid a million bucks and make him turn it down.

If that was the plan, I don't think many people would be consoled by Bryce Montes de Oca if we miss on Rodon.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
Chris (KC)

Do you think Bukauskas will sign? How about Montes de Oca?

Klaw (2:05 PM)

No to both. I think the WSox took BMdO as a backup plan in case Rodon doesn't sign - offer the kid a million bucks and make him turn it down.

If that was the plan, I don't think many people would be consoled by Bryce Montes de Oca if we miss on Rodon.

If Rodon comes in at about slot the Sox can (and should) still offer Montes de Oca close to a million dollars and make him turn it down. I would guess Rodon comes in over slot and the Sox don't have enough cash to get things done with Montes de Oca though.

Part of any delay in Rodon signing has to be the price you pay for picking a Boras "advised" client. Signing for just around slot right away, pretty much can be done by a guy like Rodon without an advisor. The delay at least presents the possibility that using Boras' advise actually made him a few more dollars.

Let's just say the Sox and Rodon don't agree for whatever reason. The Sox then get the #3 pick next year, plus whatever spot we end up at the end of this year, right?

Yes, provided that they offered him at least 90% of slot, which is a pretty safe bet.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
Part of any delay in Rodon signing has to be the price you pay for picking a Boras "advised" client. Signing for just around slot right away, pretty much can be done by a guy like Rodon without an advisor. The delay at least presents the possibility that using Boras' advise actually made him a few more dollars.

That and until Kolek signs no way Rodon signs. Boras wants to see the numbers Kolek gets.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
Yes, provided that they offered him at least 90% of slot, which is a pretty safe bet.

No I believe they would get 1 pick lower. They would receive the 4th pick next year and their own pick and have far an away the biggest bonus $$ allotment. That won't happen though.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
There's going to be the longest thread in the history of SoxTalk on July 18th if he doesn't sign.

It would also go a long way towards sealing the fate of Viciedo, if that hasn't already been decided.

It has a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go before it approaches that

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
Why play that game? Give him your best offer today and tell him the offer goes down $10K every day through July 18.

When you draft a Boras client you know you have to play the game. Sox knew that before they drafted Rodon. I agree he needs to sign and get going this is why people hate Bor-ASS.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Jake Jarvis signed at slot ($141,300) per BA.

That is great news. Seeing as Ziznewski will be WAY under slot for sure, and Clark has no reason to be over slot, we are still looking at a savings of about $400k for either Rodon or De Oca.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
Let's just say the Sox and Rodon don't agree for whatever reason. The Sox then get the #3 pick next year, plus whatever spot we end up at the end of this year, right?

The Sox would get pick #4 next season as a compensation pick. It really is a moot point though, he will sign. I really doubt they are even negotiating much on money as both sides now know what the Sox budget is, more just other details being ironed out now.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
Thats probably true. Hahn probably cost the org some $$ saying that Rodon was the best pitching prospect on TV.

Honestly, there isn't any extra money to be found. Either he takes what we can offer, or he goes back to NCSt

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
Honestly, there isn't any extra money to be found. Either he takes what we can offer, or he goes back to NCSt

I agree with you about the money, but we all know Bor-ASS always wants to be center of attention and control the pace.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
Hmm, would it be possible to just keep taking impossible to sign guys and offering them 90% of the slot so you just keep accumulating picks in the following draft over the course of many years?

Possible, sure. But assume that the Sox end up not signing Rodon, and we end up drafting him again at #4. We also then get our 2nd pick somewhere in teens. While that sounds like an awesome haul for 1 draft year, wouldn't you rather have had Rodon get a year a development in your system, instead of pitching another year in college? He loses a development year.

It seems like you are going to have a couple awful years of prospects, just to have an amazing year, while losing all the development time in between. I don't know, it just doesn't sound like a great strategy unless you are picking late in the draft and decide that strategy for 1 year because you forecast a much deeper class the following year. I think the Red Sox have employed that strategy before.

If the Sox fail to sign Rodon this year, and then fail to sign their pick next year, they lose the pick no matter how much they offer. This is why you will see teams with that pick go after someone that is way, way underslot. This assures that they get someone under contract for that pick while allowing them a larger allotment for the entirety of the draft (which is not reason enough to simply not sign Rodon).

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
Possible, sure. But assume that the Sox end up not signing Rodon, and we end up drafting him again at #4. We also then get our 2nd pick somewhere in teens. While that sounds like an awesome haul for 1 draft year, wouldn't you rather have had Rodon get a year a development in your system, instead of pitching another year in college? He loses a development year.

It seems like you are going to have a couple awful years of prospects, just to have an amazing year, while losing all the development time in between. I don't know, it just doesn't sound like a great strategy unless you are picking late in the draft and decide that strategy for 1 year because you forecast a much deeper class the following year. I think the Red Sox have employed that strategy before.

See wites post, don't think you understood what I was saying.

Personally, I don't give two s***s if we sign Rodon or not. He has just as good a chance to be terrible as he does at being great.