Trade Winds Forum?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)
While Beck, Johnson, and Johnson isn't a giant haul, there is no way that David Price would sign long-term. The Sox aren't ready to win. It would be a stupid trade. Also, I'd definitely trade Ramirez. I'd need a nice haul but there is no way that Seattle would give the Sox Tijuan Walker. Not gonna happen.

Also, I think the White Sox just drafted the next David Price.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 02:28 AM)
With Gordon, Alexei, and Danks you don't trade them just to trade them, but you listen to any and all offers.

Beckham to Toronto makes way too much sense if Sox fall out of it over next month.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 08:32 PM)
Beckham to Toronto makes way too much sense if Sox fall out of it over next month.

If he had to get it together eventually, I'm glad he's picking this year.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 02:35 AM)
If he had to get it together eventually, I'm glad he's picking this year.

It would be interesting to see what he would cost a team. He's not worth Norris or Sanchez, as they seem to be saving those guys for a big time pitcher.

While Beck, Johnson, and Johnson isn't a giant haul, there is no way that David Price would sign long-term. The Sox aren't ready to win. It would be a stupid trade. Also, I'd definitely trade Ramirez. I'd need a nice haul but there is no way that Seattle would give the Sox Tijuan Walker. Not gonna happen.

They're a lot closer than you think, if they can sell him on that I don't see why he wouldn't sign long term.

Any rotation with Sale, Price, Quintana is ready to contend. Then you toss in Rodon with Montas/Danish/Adams on their way and hope EJ refinds himself.

Any rotation with Sale, Price, Quintana is ready to contend. Then you toss in Rodon with Montas/Danish/Adams on their way and hope EJ refinds himself.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 08:48 PM)

I understand that. The Sox will not be giving Price an 8 year deal in excess of $160 million though. Not a chance.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 08:50 PM)
I understand that. The Sox will not be giving Price an 8 year deal in excess of $160 million though. Not a chance.

Bingo. We got an ace (two aces potential with Rodon) cheap so we can spend money elsewhere. If Avi was healthy and killing it I would think maybe but I still think this team is a year or two from really mixing it up for the World Series.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 07:34 PM)
Here's the bit on ARam

According to Bob Dutton of the Tacoma Times Tribune, the Mariners are interested in trying to pick up Chicago White Sox shortstop Alexei Ramirez. "Still, this rumor makes some sense: Ramirez, 32, is a right-handed bat - something the Mariners covet - and is enjoying a renaissance season with seven homers, 36 RBI and a .309 average in 69 games," Dutton pens. He also pointed out that the Mariners would have to add payroll to accommodate the $9.5 million due Ramirez this year and the $10 million due next season. That should not be a huge issue for Seattle, as they can work around it.

I love how they act like that is a lot for a guy like Alexei.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 08:18 PM)
Danks ranks 83rd of 96 qualified pitchers in FIP, 95th of 96 in xFIP and 89th of 96 in SIERA. He has greatly reduced stuff and has a relatively large contract. You absolutely listen to any offer you get.

As for the wishlists above, come on, ask yourselves: if you were a GM of the Mariners, would you give up anything close to Walker, Guerrero, and Wilson for Alexei?

The numbers haven't caught up with his last five outings. This is something for the eye test.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
I agree, I would ask for the minimum of Walker, Guerrero, and Wilson. Heavy price for the best SS in the AL with a great contract.

Might want to throw Nick Franklin into that instead to be more realistic. Or Justin Smoak. Or Ackley.

Edited by caulfield12

Danks ranks 83rd of 96 qualified pitchers in FIP, 95th of 96 in xFIP and 89th of 96 in SIERA. He has greatly reduced stuff and has a relatively large contract. You absolutely listen to any offer you get.

As for the wishlists above, come on, ask yourselves: if you were a GM of the Mariners, would you give up anything close to Walker, Guerrero, and Wilson for Alexei?

Never trade a quality mlb pitcher unless you get at least some pitching in return.

Maybe not Walker, but Paxton and those other 2. Alexei is the best all around SS in the AL right now, with a good contract. SS is a luxury position in the MLB because there aren't that many good SS's around.

There's always that one team that gets desperate around the trade deadline. Last year it was the Tigers, and it netted the Sox Avi Garcia and 3 prospects who are probably in our top 25 as a system.

My point being, you never know.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 07:48 PM)
I agree, I would ask for the minimum of Walker, Guerrero, and Wilson. Heavy price for the best SS in the AL with a great contract.

That's a bit too much. Come on. You're trading Alexei Ramirez, not Cal Ripken.

It's still a big leap for the Mariners to get past the Angels/A's, and then the jumble in the AL East...that said, they've invested a ton of money into Cano, and their fanbase is just dying for another competitive team.

Pretty sure it's actually been longer for Seattle since they were in first place or near it at the All-Star break than even the Royals (2003).

Adam Dunn...30th in MLB OPS

Alexei Ramirez....24th in WAR

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 09:17 PM)
The numbers haven't caught up with his last five outings. This is something for the eye test.

Last 5 starts - 35.1 IP, 24 H, 9 BB, 21 K, 2 HR, 1.51 ERA, 0.93 WHIP, .188/.262/.297/.559, .210 BABIP

There is a lot of noise in those numbers, but there's also a lot of luck. However, worth mentioning far more - and an alarming number - are the LD%/GB%/FB% (respectively listed below) numbers in those starts

NYY - 8.3%/50.0%/41.7%

SD - 18.2%/54.5%/27.3%

LAD - 12.5%/50.0%/37.5%

DET - 23.8%/19.0%/57.1%

SF - 23.8%/23.8%/52.4%

He has been giving up a ton of line drives and fly balls. That doesn't need an eye test to tell you that those will turn into a blow up sooner rather than later. The first 3, yes, it's completely understandable why he pitched so well, especially against New York, but Detroit and San Francisco hit him around pretty good and he needs to start throwing more ground balls.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)
Trade for David Price?

3. Chicago White Sox

The White Sox haven't really been linked to Price, but it's time to realize they are committed to rebuilding and winning, and Price would make them a legitimate wild-card contender this year. Rick Hahn has done a masterful job since taking over as the GM in Chicago, highlighted by his outbidding everyone for MVP candidate Jose Abreu, who should be the starting first baseman in the All-Star Game next month. President Ken Williams and owner Jerry Reinsdorf know what it's like to hold up a World Series trophy in the White House, and with Williams' passion for winning and Reinsdorf's willingness to spend smartly to win, a potential trade for Price should not be dismissed. Remember when the White Sox flew under the radar and outbid everyone for Jake Peavy? I can see them doing it again here.

The Rays could ask for second baseman Micah Johnson, who has quickly proven himself in the minor leagues to the tune of a .297 average and .371 on-base percentage. Johnson has good speed, and his defense is improving. Most importantly, he profiles as a leadoff hitter, the type of table-setter the Rays need atop their lineup. The Rays would need another significant piece in the deal, and struggling starting pitcher Erik Johnson could be the guy who makes the deal work. He was impressive in 2012 and 2013, when he showed plus stuff, and was in the team's rotation to start the season, but five failed starts got him shipped to the minors, where he continues to struggle. A physical would have to be done, of course, but if he's cleared, there's no reason he can't bounce back and develop into a solid No. 3 starter. Solving problems at second base and the top of the lineup while adding another solid starter might be enough to get Price at the end of the day. Since this package is "light" compared to the previous two deals, a throw-in such as right-handed pitching prospect Chris Beck would be necessary.

The trade: Micah Johnson, Erik Johnson and Chris Beck for Price.

Rofl

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
Wonder if the M's would be open to trading Hultzen...He's injured, and not gonna pitch all year so maybe they're down on him a bit. As a former #2 overall I doubt it but I think they'd trade him before Walker.

Hultzen's issues are shoulder-related. We don't want anything to do with him, IMO.