Trade Winds Forum?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
Interesting question, not sure if we (the public) has access to the data to find out. FG shows league-wide HR/FB% back to 2002, and it is always around 10-11% during that period. Not sure how far you havve to go back to see a significant change, though.

So it's been relatively static since 2002?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 06:03 PM)
If we want another declining veteran, go get Headley - and be sure to put up a couple of our best prospects to get him so we can get full deja vu.

He's had one great season and a couple of high OBP, Low-power years....what Gillaspie's giving us.

As a free agent.

It's not going to happen, but it would be more logical than throwing a ton of money at Victor Martinez, LaRoche, Melky Cabrera, Seth Smith, etc.

With Gillaspie and Davidson already in the fold, as well as Semien...but someone along the lines of Headley who's having a disappointing season, compared to the names listed above.

Rasmus would be another example.

What we're really lacking is a true #3 hitter in our lineup (even tho conor is doing a great job) and a #2/#3 starter RH starter. Unfortunately, there really aren't any true #3 hitters hitting FA unless you're gonna spend crazy money. I think getting a guy like Markakis or Zobrist would be smart on a 3 year deal ~ 36 million until we figure out if Hawkins/Avisail can become that guy. Also, getting a vet right hander like Haren or Peavy on a 1-2 yr pact would be ideal. Resign Dunn for a year too ~8 million.

Lineup

1. Eaton CF

2. Semien/Micah/Sanchez 2B

3. Markakis/Zobrist LF

4. Abreu 1B

5. Dunn DH

6. Avisail RF

7. Conor 3B

8. Alexei SS

9. Flowers/Nieto

Rotation

1. Sale

2. Peavy/Haren

3. Quintana

4. Danks

5. Rodon/Johnson

Zobrist and Peavy are toast.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
They're not going to throw money at Hanley Ramirez, either.

Chase Headley is a possibility, simply because he's been so terrible for the Padres for two seasons now...but it always comes back to the fact they don't want to have Abreu DHing full-time at this point in his career.

So you can't really move Conor or Davidson to 1B.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks he was so terrible last year. He produced a 3.5 WAR. That was 6th best for all 3B last year. Most of that came from his glovework, but he was still showing a very good eye at the plate last season.

This season, yes, he's been below average. On pace for a WAR under 2.0.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 07:09 AM)
As a free agent.

It's not going to happen, but it would be more logical than throwing a ton of money at Victor Martinez, LaRoche,

Melky Cabrera, Seth Smith, etc.

With Gillaspie and Davidson already in the fold, as well as Semien...but someone along the lines of

Headley who's having a disappointing season, compared to the names listed above.

Rasmus would be another example.

I have thought of this as a problem already. If Davidson gets back to where he was at the time of the trade,

the lack of dh and missing pieces in the of, where can the sox best use Davidson. 1b / db and let him and

Abreu share time dh'ing.

of course I am mentioning this for the offseason going forward,

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
I have thought of this as a problem already. If Davidson gets back to where he was at the time of the trade,

the lack of dh and missing pieces in the of, where can the sox best use Davidson. 1b / db and let him and

Abreu share time dh'ing.

of course I am mentioning this for the offseason going forward,

That's why I wouldn't trade or sign one of those 1b/DH/3b guys unless it was the final piece of the puzzle.

Maybe this July season will be a seller's market. But I wouldn't count on it. With these MLB teams awash in cash, they'll likely look for taking salary before giving up prospects.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
Jose Bautista and Brett Lawrie both left the game with injuries today.

If I'm Rick Hahn, I'd call them and say Gordon Beckham and De Aza is available.

What for them to call us - improves our leverage.

On another note, Peavy's a 5th starter now, if that. We made a good move dealing him when he still had value left.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
Josh Byrnes was fired as GM in San Diego today. Rumor has it that they'd like to bring Kevin Towers back to SD. Fleecing him for Grandal shouldn't be too hard.

Why would a GM in that position be easier to take advantage of...? If anything, he's going to swing for the fences and be more willing to sit on all of the players on his roster, since he doesn't have the pressure a GM fighting to keep his job would have to deal with.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
Jose Bautista and Brett Lawrie both left the game with injuries today.

If I'm Rick Hahn, I'd call them and say Gordon Beckham and De Aza is available.

Apparently it's a broken hand for Lawrie and he'll be out a month.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)

Good. Francisco has also been struggling at third so their need of another IF increases with Lawrie being out. Traderumors speculated on who they could trade for yesterday and all are worse options than Beckham, who was not mentioned.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Why would Diego want Towers back?

Was Towers really all that bad? I can't really remember anything significantly bad he did over there. He made some great deals for them.

It all comes down to the org itself. The Padres have been cheap as s*** for decades, gave him nothing to work with, couldn't use FA, couldn't go Red Sox/Yankees with overslots in the draft, etc. Then the owners changed hands and the new guys are also cheap as s***. The ballpark is great for attracting reclamation project pitchers but that's really it, hitters don't want to play there, they're never really thought of as serious contenders, can't throw big money at anyone... that's a situation that will make a lot of GMs look bad regardless of whether they actually are or not.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 06:57 PM)
Okay so who does Toronto have that is a big RHSP arm but needs work, either A+ or below and/or reclamation project? And who do they have as far as LHRP spects? We need that. We get an electric A ball arm and a serviceable LHRP & Rick Hahn can dress up the old lady & they can dance the night away.

I don't have a clue whom the Sox could pry loose from Toronto, but 4 of their top 7 prospects, and 9 of their top 20, are RH pitchers. God knows, this organization could certainly use a right handed starter.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 07:55 PM)
Was Towers really all that bad? I can't really remember anything significantly bad he did over there. He made some great deals for them.

It all comes down to the org itself. The Padres have been cheap as s*** for decades, gave him nothing to work with, couldn't use FA, couldn't go Red Sox/Yankees with overslots in the draft, etc. Then the owners changed hands and the new guys are also cheap as s***. The ballpark is great for attracting reclamation project pitchers but that's really it, hitters don't want to play there, they're never really thought of as serious contenders, can't throw big money at anyone... that's a situation that will make a lot of GMs look bad regardless of whether they actually are or not.

Towers really got screwed at the end. The owner was in the middle of a divorce and was forced to sell the team because of it. Towers was forced to work with absurdly low payrolls

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)

Fire up the trade rumor train, the express from Chicago to Toronto is now open.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 01:37 AM)
I don't have a clue whom the Sox could pry loose from Toronto, but 4 of their top 7 prospects, and 9 of their top 20, are RH pitchers. God knows, this organization could certainly use a right handed starter.

I think you have identified the likely trading partner. They might be desperate enough to give Beckham a try and send us two of those righty starters for him. On the other hand, they may think Beckham is nothing they want to have.