Carlos Rodon prospect watch

Feeky Magee

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
Q's first full major league year was 200 IP. Sale's first year as a starter was 192.

A BIG part of that was the team pushing them due to being in the playoff hunt, it should be noted. Had the team been 15 games back and the staff been given the choice of how many innings to work them for solely based on developing them, different choices might have been made.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
If they can find guys like McHugh, Harrell and Humber on waivers, it's going to take a lot more than we're willing to give up.

They'd ask for something like Montas or Danish and Hawkins for Appel.

Of course, they're not going to get it, but everyone's seen the crazy trade proposals and what they were trying to get in return.

I doubt a lot of MLB teams are different. Start out asking for one thing. If you ask for a mid level prospect right away, teams will only be willing to give you lesser amounts. This is how they negotiate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 09:26 PM)
A BIG part of that was the team pushing them due to being in the playoff hunt, it should be noted. Had the team been 15 games back and the staff been given the choice of how many innings to work them for solely based on developing them, different choices might have been made.

Right, I'm just remembering Sale's year in relation to Strasburg, where Strasburg was sitting. If we do get in the playoff hunt, perhaps they move forward. Only way to stretch out the arm is to pitch I imagine.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)
Right, I'm just remembering Sale's year in relation to Strasburg, where Strasburg was sitting. If we do get in the playoff hunt, perhaps they move forward. Only way to stretch out the arm is to pitch I imagine.

IMO the White Sox were a lot more willing to push Sale than the Nats were with Stras. Had that team not fallen apart I think it seemed clear they'd continue starting Sale in the playoffs if they had the chance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
The other real problem with this logic, as the Nats have demonstrated, is that they might well have given up a chance to win the world series by shutting him down. They expected "oh we've got great young talent we'll be right back next year" but then they had some other injuries and missed the playoffs completely the next year.

Right. Then comes the 0questions of priorities. Are you more concerned with the possibility of a world series or of the health of your players. Because the other side is that they make the playoffs don't win the world series and he hurts his arm. What would people say about the team then.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 06:39 PM)
IMO the White Sox were a lot more willing to push Sale than the Nats were with Stras. Had that team not fallen apart I think it seemed clear they'd continue starting Sale in the playoffs if they had the chance.

Stras was coming off an injury as well. That would make me more cautious.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
I'd be perfectly happy with a 6 man rotation in September.

Maybe Rodon gets four starts.

9-6 at Cleveland

9-12 vs Minnesota

9-19 at Tampa Bay

9-25 vs Kansas City

Two home. Two away. Forget that bullpen horses***.

I have tickets for the 12th, so I'm crossing my fingers that you're right.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)
Wayne Randazzo ‏@WayneRandazzo 2m

Hahn: Rodon responded to the challenge last night. Decision to call him up in September will be based strictly on his development. #WhiteSox

Can't wait to see him September 1st.

Today:

@SethLakso: Carlos Rodon’s final line: 4 IP 1H 1ER 2BB 8Ks — 73 pitches (47 strikes). His final inning was his best by far. #WhiteSox

@SethLakso: Would guess Rodon starts for @KnightsBaseball again on 8/29 at Gwinnett w/ a 100-pitch limit and then joins the #whitesox in September.

I think that Rodon may have had his last inning pitched for the Knights.

I get this feeling that he will get called up on 30/8 to pitch one game of the double header against the Tiggers.

Think about it. We get to temporarily expand the roster to 26 for one game of the DH.

Sale is due to pitch one of those 2 games with Carroll pitching on Friday.

Rodon gets called up for the double header with Sale and Rodon pitching on Saturday. (Great Marketing tool for the White Sox)

After the DH, Carroll/ Rodon gets optioned back to the Knights and then called up again when the Rosters expand on 1st September.

Someone on Twitter said that Rodon's last AAA start, they will let him go 100 pitches, that leads me to believe he may not be in the pen in Sept. I hope he is just to give him the big league feel before he hopefully joins rotation next year.

I don't really get the rush to get him up to MLB. Clearly he is highly advanced and his stuff is MLB ready now but I really don't think it's in Rodon's (and Chicago's) best long term interests to come up, make a couple 5-6 inning starts and start the arb clock a year early when he could have just made a few more starts in AAA and then head to the AFL with a big fat ZERO next to MLB service time entering '15.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)
I don't really get the rush to get him up to MLB. Clearly he is highly advanced and his stuff is MLB ready now but I really don't think it's in Rodon's (and Chicago's) best long term interests to come up, make a couple 5-6 inning starts and start the arb clock a year early when he could have just made a few more starts in AAA and then head to the AFL with a big fat ZERO next to MLB service time entering '15.

From another thread.....

Another perspective not yet voiced is this:

The Sox and Hanh believe they are in position to contend for 2015 and believe Rodon can be a huge piece in moving towards contention. With a cup of coffee this year, he can wet his beak and be all the more preped for better contributions next season.

When you think about it - this process is actually a distinct possibility.

Sign a number 2 type RHSP, tighten up the outfield, grab a new DH, and put together a nice pen... You've got yourself a playoff team ladies and gentlemen. One that could even go all the way should the baseball Gods decide it to be so.

The thought of Sale, Shields, Qunitana, Rodon, and Noesi/Johnson/Danks makes me very very happy.

An outfield of Garcia / Eaton / X would be groovy, health permitting.

Abreu ( believe it or not ) STILL can improve. I believe we can count on a boost from second base WAR with Beckham out next year. Alexi seems to be returning to his 08/10 levels. Gillaspie is highly underrated and could become an affordable fixture. Flowers may indeed have a spot on a playoff team and I'm not counting out an upgrade at catcher during the winter.

With Dunn gone finally we sure can expect to see an improvement there as well.

Hell, even Paulie going off to his 16,000 square foot oasis in the desert improves our bench.

Give me a bullpen and 2015 looks rosie enough for us take a MAJOR stride forward....

hi8is -- I just don't see how a couple starts in September in MLB in any shape or form prepares him better to contribute at the MLB level in '15 then another couple in AAA and then the AFL. He isn't going to be "working on his changeup" when he's got the bases loaded and is tied 3-3 at pitch number 80 in the 5th inning with two outs -- he's gonna be rearing back and throwing 95 or throwing that slide piece.

While those might get hitters out short term long term we all know the key will be the changeup and developing command on his fastball -- things he'd improve more quickly on in the non win at all costs environment of the minors.

That's just my opinion I certainly respect the job Cooper and the Sox do developing starters.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
hi8is -- I just don't see how a couple starts in September in MLB in any shape or form prepares him better to contribute at the MLB level in '15 then another couple in AAA and then the AFL. He isn't going to be "working on his changeup" when he's got the bases loaded and is tied 3-3 at pitch number 80 in the 5th inning with two outs -- he's gonna be rearing back and throwing 95 or throwing that slide piece.

While those might get hitters out short term long term we all know the key will be the changeup and developing command on his fastball -- things he'd improve more quickly on in the non win at all costs environment of the minors.

That's just my opinion I certainly respect the job Cooper and the Sox do developing starters.

What you can't get in AAA or the AFL is an experience pitching in The Show. Gets him an opportunity to face some butterflies and come into '15 "experienced". Either way, bet your ass this offseason and next spring he'll be working the change and on control.