Eaton leaves game after running into fence

southsider2k5

What a weird deal. He had NO clue he was that close to the fence. I know people are going to call him reckless, etc. but I don't think he had any idea he was going to hit the fence. You could see he had just then taken a step to start a jump right as he crashed into it. He had miscalculated the distance of the fence by at least 5-8 feet.

I hope he's okay. I haven't seen a play like that, where the guy is unaware of the fence, since I was playing high school baseball

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
What a weird deal. He had NO clue he was that close to the fence. I know people are going to call him reckless, etc. but I don't think he had any idea he was going to hit the fence. You could see he had just then taken a step to start a jump right as he crashed into it. He had miscalculated the distance of the fence by at least 5-8 feet.

I hope he's okay. I haven't seen a play like that, where the guy is unaware of the fence, since I was playing high school baseball

Like I said hes probably injured from head to shoulder to ribs

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)

When I played CF in HS, we had a game where they had a snow fence as the wall. I was going back for a ball and didn't realize I was that close as there is no warning track, as I ran into the fence, I somehow hit the ball with my glove, which kept the ball in play, but I went flying over the fence. Our LF came running over to get the ball laughing his ass off. I think the batter wound up getting a homer anyway. Getting back over it was a problem. I think it was about 4 and a half feet high. I was so pissed I just stepped on it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
When I played CF in HS, we had a game where they had a snow fence as the wall. I was going back for a ball and didn't realize I was that close as there is no warning track, as I ran into the fence, I somehow hit the ball with my glove, which kept the ball in play, but I went flying over the fence. Our LF came running over to get the ball laughing his ass off. I think the batter wound up getting a homer anyway. Getting back over it was a problem. I think it was about 4 and a half feet high. I was so pissed I just stepped on it.

I hit a home run in HS on a windy day - blowing out of course - so the ball kept drifting back and back and back...and the kid just ran right into the chainlink fence. He had to get a new nose after that play.

Ball, wall, ball, they teach you that s*** in little league. I get that he was approaching at an odd angle and he's a psychopath who refuses to give up on any fly ball but playing with full reckless abandon is a great way to cut your career short. His aggressiveness is awesome and it's probably the #1 reason he's in the bigs (though it's also lead to some truly embarrassing baserunning) but he has to show some self control and awareness out there. This was just kinda stupid.

The White Sox have to lead the majors in just dumb/idiotic outfield play.

Eaton's recklessness and decision-making with throws.

Avisail's overall awkwardness out there.

Tank's lack of ability to do anything well but throw when he has a full head of steam going.

DeAza. Enough said.

That DeAza play against Minnesota was probably the final turning point in the season...in terms of any prayer for fighting for the Wild Card. Win that game, and the series...things might be different. Instead of 4-2 or 5-1 against two last place teams, we're 2-4 instead.

Now we're facing a very tough stretch of games. It was probably just an illusion anyway, to think we had either the rotation/bullpen to go on an extended winning streak (or could actually lose 5-10 games in a row with Abreu/Sale/Eaton/Quintana/Alexei and "compete" for a Top 11 pick that wouldn't be forfeited signed certain free agents).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 05:05 PM)
Ball, wall, ball, they teach you that s*** in little league. I get that he was approaching at an odd angle and he's a psychopath who refuses to give up on any fly ball but playing with full reckless abandon is a great way to cut your career short. His aggressiveness is awesome and it's probably the #1 reason he's in the bigs (though it's also lead to some truly embarrassing baserunning) but he has to show some self control and awareness out there. This was just kinda stupid.

Certainly agree. But for some of these guys they only know one way. You can't take the Derrick Rose out of Derrick Rose and I don't know if you can take the Spanky out of Eaton. In his mind that's how he has to play to be a success.

That said, the sliding headfirst has to stop, unlike making a spectacular catch at the wall diving headfirst usually has zero benefit. Teach him the hook slide in the offseason.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)
Certainly agree. But for some of these guys they only know one way. You can't take the Derrick Rose out of Derrick Rose and I don't know if you can take the Spanky out of Eaton. In his mind that's how he has to play to be a success.

That said, the sliding headfirst has to stop, unlike making a spectacular catch at the wall diving headfirst usually has zero benefit. Teach him the hook slide in the offseason.

You can be aggressive and not run full speed into a wall to try to catch a ball that landed like five rows back.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)

Eaton's recklessness and decision-making with throws.Avisail's overall awkwardness out there.

Tank's lack of ability to do anything well but throw when he has a full head of steam going.

DeAza. Enough said.

That DeAza play against Minnesota was probably the final turning point in the season...in terms of any prayer for fighting for the Wild Card. Win that game, and the series...things might be different. Instead of 4-2 or 5-1 against two last place teams, we're 2-4 instead.

Now we're facing a very tough stretch of games. It was probably just an illusion anyway, to think we had either the rotation/bullpen to go on an extended winning streak (or could actually lose 5-10 games in a row with Abreu/Sale/Eaton/Quintana/Alexei and "compete" for a Top 11 pick that wouldn't be forfeited signed certain free agents).

I dont know why you keep saying this when it is wrong

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)

Eaton's recklessness and decision-making with throws.

Avisail's overall awkwardness out there.

DeAza. Enough said.

I knew the Sox were in deep trouble when some poster mentioned we were playing two horrific teams at home. That obviously has never mattered with the Sox.

As far as Eaton, love his enthusiasm, but he's got to do a better job of knowing where the wall is. It's insane to hit it as hard as he did. The Sox do need to start fielding better defensive teams. When they are built to contend, lack of defense will prevent them from doing much damage.