Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 11:44 PM)
I say keep alexei no one will over pay

The consensus strategy has always been to only trade Alexei if some team "over pays".

Although the Dodgers made Hanley Ramirez a qualifying offer, it seemed as though they never intended to have him play SS again.

Therefore, his signing doesn't affect a potential deal with the Sox for Ramirez. It could however have some impact on other teams seeking a SS.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 11:52 PM)
Maybe we get Pablo now for 3B? Maybe not

It's probably much more likely that Sandoval returns to the Giants, or signs with San Diego.

That's fine with me. I wasn't enthused about giving him a big fee agent contract. Moreover, a left handed hitting third baseman is not one of our big needs, now with LaRoche.

Gillaspie will be fine at 3B, if he improves his defense a little, and we let someone else take his place vs lefties.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 09:46 PM)
A 2nd half that featured a .971 OPS would suggest otherwise and that he's perhaps trending back into that MVP caliber player.

Not with that defense. And perhaps he will be MVP offensively. Maybe.

Still I'd prefer young talent over the contract and personality

Could we change gears, for just a moment, on the Alexei to the Dodgers trade?

What if the Sox went back to the original idea of acquiring Ethier, which was the more likely trade, before they got the left handed bat of LaRoche.

We know that Ethier is not a good hitter vs. LH pitching. In fact, LaRoche's split stats aren't that great either. But they're tolerable. Therefore, that would make three guys who should sit vs. LH pitching,

if you include Gillaspie. That's a problem, which would need to be addressed. However it would finally give the Sox a formidable lineup against RH pitching, which is after all, what they

face the vast majority of the time. What percentage of good pitching, especially in our division is left handed? Hell, most of the good lefties are on the South Side!

The Dodgers really have to break up their very crowded outfield, and it is believed that they prefer to move a couple of veterans. They may be motivated enough to include another player,

with Ethier. I had originally thought about Schebler, but then I thought maybe the Sox could get a young, potential RH starter for the rotation. However, in looking at their organization,

it doesn't appear that they have a surplus of RH pitching prospects.

However, there might be a better solution. Maybe Hahn and Friedman could find a third team, which would take one of the other veteran Dodger outfielders, in exchange for a pitcher, whom L. A. could

then include in the deal with the Sox. Who are the outfielders they most want moved? I would guess that the Dodgers view Van Slyke, Pederson and Puig as their preferred outfield, which means

that Kemp, Ethier and Crawford are the guys they would like to move. Perhaps a deal for Kemp, which involved swapping another team's high salaried #2 or 3 starter,

would net them the starter the Sox need.

Although, in that scenario, the Sox would have to pick up an expensive contract, it might cost less than a free agent, and be for fewer years, as well as avoid the loss of a draft pick.

Moreover, it could net the Sox an established, proven #2 or #3 RH starter.

So, what team has a RH starting pitcher with a contract that we could afford to take, and needs a right handed, middle of the order bat, like Kemp, but would have to move salary,

in order to afford him?

I know that it gets complicated, but isn't that almost always the case, when a third team is involved in a trade?

The reason such a scenario might be realistic is that the Dodgers need to move 2 expensive, veteran outfielders, and the Sox only need one. By trading one to the Sox and the other to Team X,

the Dodgers might have a better chance. Of course, L. A. could simply do a separate trade with Team X, and keep the player who comes back to them in that trade. However, the Dodgers are

really more interested in moving the two outfielders and their salaries, than they are in adding a relatively high priced pitcher.

So, here is my fantasized trade scenario:

Alexei to the Dodgers

Ethier to the Sox

Kemp to Team X

Team X's RH Starter Y to Sox

Team X also includes a player, whom the Dodgers want (I inadvertently left this element out of the trade)

Such a deal could be feasible, providing the net cost of both Ethier and Starter Y were around the $25 Million per year, that the Sox appear willing to take on. That would, of course, be after

dumping Alexei's $20 Million, over the next 2 years.

The lineup vs. RHP would be terrific:

Eaton CF LH

Gillaspie 3B LH

Abreu DH RH

LaRoche 1B LH

Garcia LF RH

Ethier RF LH

Flowers C RH

SS ?

Sanchez 2B Switch Hitter

Then, the question would be, who do the Sox have to platoon with Gillaspie, and Ethier? Semien for Gillaspie has been discussed, but at the moment, the best candidate to spell Ethier would be

Shuck. Yikes!!! Well, actually he has hit lefties pretty well, in his short career, even though he bats from the left side, himself.

At any rate, my head hurts. Maybe one of you geniuses can come up with some actual names for Team X and Player Y.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
Could we change gears, for just a moment, on the Alexei to the Dodgers trade?

At any rate, my head hurts. Maybe one of you geniuses can come up with some actual names for Team X and Player Y.

while it look as you worked hard on this, many thanks for sharing, but there is a problem

or 2 in this.

finding a 3 rd team with 1. salary room to absorb that big of a salary. 2. there are only

getting Kemp for this trade 3. why would they want to do this.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 07:06 AM)
while it look as you worked hard on this, many thanks for sharing, but there is a problem

or 2 in this.

finding a 3 rd team with 1. salary room to absorb that big of a salary. 2. there are only

getting Kemp for this trade 3. why would they want to do this.

Team X would be exchanging a high salaried RH starter for a much needed RH middle of the order bat. After moving said pitcher, the addition of Kemp would not cost them

a prohibitive amount on money. Seattle is a team that really needs and wants a big RH bat, however I don't think that they have a pitcher who matches the profile, in my scenario.

Another alternative would be for the Sox to take a younger, inexpensive RH starter from Team X, and agree to send that team some cash to help them pay for Kemp's contract.

I just think a scenario like this is better than trying to outbid teams for free agents, at extraordinary costs, while losing draft picks.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 10:57 PM)
It's probably much more likely that Sandoval returns to the Giants, or signs with San Diego.

That's fine with me. I wasn't enthused about giving him a big fee agent contract. Moreover, a left handed hitting third baseman is not one of our big needs, now with LaRoche.

Gillaspie will be fine at 3B, if he improves his defense a little, and we let someone else take his place vs lefties.

Actually the red Sox are still trying to get sandoval. The rumors are Handley ramirez might play left field and red Sox still sign panda for 3rd.

The leverage for the White Sox on Alexei has to be really good. With Hanley ramirez going to Boston it now leaves the Mariners needing shortstop now since they wanted Hanley. Sofar the teams needing a shortstop are the Mets, Yankees, dodgers, mariners, A's and supposedly the marlins. Let the bidding begin.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 06:41 AM)
Actually the red Sox are still trying to get sandoval. The rumors are Handley ramirez might play left field and red Sox still sign panda for 3rd.

Sandoval is going to Boston now to per jon Heyman

Sandoval has agreement to go to the red sox for 5 years, close to 100M

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/536861534237229056

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 06:47 AM)
The leverage for the White Sox on Alexei has to be really good. With Hanley ramirez going to Boston it now leaves the Mariners needing shortstop now since they wanted Hanley. Sofar the teams needing a shortstop are the Mets, Yankees, dodgers, mariners, A's and supposedly the marlins. Let the bidding begin.

And M's were never planning to play Ramirez at SS.

He can play 3B, LF, 1B (maybe) and DH from here on out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 07:35 AM)
And M's were never planning to play Ramirez at SS.

He can play 3B, LF, 1B (maybe) and DH from here on out.

From what I read they would have had him at ss. He wouldn't play 3rd there since seager is there. Can't imagine him being good in that big out field. Probably other choice was dh.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 01:12 AM)
Not with that defense. And perhaps he will be MVP offensively. Maybe.

Still I'd prefer young talent over the contract and personality

I can't deny that, BUT, while everyone is talking about the Royals way and their defensive outfield, I can counter that with the Giants, who threw out Mike Morse most of the time and he was one of the 2 guys (Dom Brown the other) who was worse in LF.

I think it's somewhat possible that he can look better out there in a smaller OF, with Eaton by his side, and also as he gets increasingly healthy. He'll never be good, or probably even average, but if he brings an All Star level bat I'd still have no problem with him.

You'd be banking on him being that MVP/All Star level talent and if he does play up to it his contract wouldn't be THAT bad.

Here's a hypothetical trade idea. What if the sox sent alexei to the dodgers for kemp and 32 million. Basically it would make the sox only paying AAV at 15 million a year. The Dodgers would save 5 million AAV each year over the next 2 yrs and 15 million AAV each year for the last 3 yrs. I would say kemp would be worth the 15 million AAV if he stays healthy. Figure you would have 2 yrs of kemp in the field and can then dh some after that with Laroche off the books. Otherwise I would like see alexei dealt for younger talent that is major league ready and preferably pitching.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
Here's a hypothetical trade idea. What if the sox sent alexei to the dodgers for kemp and 32 million. Basically it would make the sox only paying AAV at 15 million a year. The Dodgers would save 5 million AAV the next 2 yrs and 15 million AAV after that. I would say kemp would be worth the 15 million AAV if he stays healthy. Figure you would have 2 yrs of kemp in the field and can then dh some after that with Laroche off the books. Otherwise I would like see alexei dealt for younger talent that is major league ready and preferably pitching.

Yeah if Alexei isn't dealt for top young talent I wouldn't mind him going for Kemp personally.

I'm going to be upset if the White Sox big plan is to acquire Matt Kemp. He is one of the more overrated players in the league. Given the contracts Hahn has given out to this point in his GM career, bringing in a guy with 5 years and $107 million left on his deal is not his MO, especially when said player is 30 years old.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
I'm going to be upset if the White Sox big plan is to acquire Matt Kemp. He is one of the more overrated players in the league. Given the contracts Hahn has given out to this point in his GM career, bringing in a guy with 5 years and $107 million left on his deal is not his MO, especially when said player is 30 years old.

No matter the circumstances?

I still think Eithier is the way to go for us, not Kemp....Either + $15-20M of his remaining $56M, 1 of Van Slyke/Schebler, and a young bull pen arm like Chris Winthrow, Paco Rodriguez, or Yimi Garcia for Alexei makes the most to me. We could then go out and get a cheap guy like Stephen Drew for SS if we are really that worried about Semien/Sanchez's D.

1. Eaton CF

2. Micah/Semein 2B

3. Eithier LF

4. Abreu 1B

5. Laroche DH

6. Garcia RF

7. Gillaspie/Semien 3B

8. Flowers

9. Drew/Semien

Not bad at all if you ask me....just add a #3 SP and 1 more bull pen piece and we would definitely compete for a playoff spot.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)

Kemp maybe overrated now but when he signed that contract he put up numbers teams dream about in 2011. Hit .324, obp .399, slug .586. Ops .986, 39 hr, 126 rbi's, 33 2b and 40 sb. If you can get the dodgers to knock off some money and is less the the amount that Sandoval and Hanley ramirez is going to get then he's not that overrated. The only thing slowing kemp down is the injuries but he played 150 games last year.