Red Sox sign Justin Masterson

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 28, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
If he had the velocity he used to have, I would be all about this. Losing the 4MPH off his fastball, he just looks like BP

excellent with hard facts to support.

this is his agents spin doctoring the damage.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
Bill James 2015 handbook ranks John Danks the #111 starter. A guy the Sox supposedly need to pay to get rid of at just about any cost.

Justin Masterson is ranked #105.

I knew there was something I needed to buy...Thanks for reminding me Dick Allen. Almost forgot to get my yearly copy of the handbook.

Edited by Baron

Bill James 2015 handbook ranks John Danks the #111 starter. A guy the Sox supposedly need to pay to get rid of at just about any cost.

I don't mind a low cost, 1 year deal as I think he has an arsenal that would be well equipped for the pen too. I wouldn't do anything more than that.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 03:37 PM)
I like the idea of a Masterson-type of guy, but he lost so much velocity, it's harder see him bouncing back.

I think much of the velocity was due to injury. He injured his knee and he should come back from that pretty well. You can't put much behind a pitch without the strong base.

Yup, I have no interest whatsoever in Masterson

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
I think much of the velocity was due to injury. He injured his knee and he should come back from that pretty well. You can't put much behind a pitch without the strong base.

Thanks for the info. I did not know what the externality was for his decline.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
I think both will rebound from different injury scenarios. However, I think Masterson will be cheaper.

Yeah I am frankly surprised more people aren't interested in taking a flyer on this guy as a 4th-5th starter/justification for keeping Rodon down until he hits super 2 status. Did Paulino traumatize you guys that badly?

If they don't want to spend $11-13 million for those mid tier guys, then making bets on Masterson or Brett Anderson make a lot more sense financially.

It's certainly not the equivalent of Paulino, Josh Johnson, Gavin Floyd or pitchers with multiple TJ surgeries.

Edited by caulfield12

This is the guy I would have predicted acquiring, heading into the offseason, feeling that the bigger expense would still be another bat. Now, I think I want Shark instead, and hoping this is "willing to move on to other options" leverage for RH.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

Everyone's already stated the statistical reasons that Volquez will be due for a regression, but since our last pairing of a similar enigmatic pitcher (Liriano) with Cooper, am simply hoping Don can find someone he really clicks with. That never seemed to happen with Paulino last spring, either.