Kenny Williams discussed as CEO candidate in Toronto

southsider2k5

Who is the Sox CEO now? JR? I thought KW effectively had that responsibility.

I really like the current Sox setup. My objection to Williams was he didn't get full value in trades. Well, as long as Hahn is doing that, we're covered.But I like Williams' hybrid philosophy; don't totally tear down, but retool. I'd hate to see us revert to the Pitt/Astros/Royals method of doing things (not saying it would happen). JR trusts Williams- I doubt a replacement would have that level of trust.

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
What did we learn from Williams to TOR reporting? Chicago sports media is more worried about protecting sources than reporting.

Sources lol. What a wonderful country the USA is. Americans are very lucky human beings is what this tells me ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
Bruce Levine ‏@MLBBruceLevine 7m7 minutes ago

Toronto may be turning back to Kenny Williams who they discussed at some business levels ,but not in all departments the end of Oct

So quasi-CEO but not full powers?

Sounds very vague. Probably intentionally so. Reading between the lines, it wasn't quite the full promotion it was perceived to be in the media originally, but very likely a step up from his White Sox position.

And KW played for the Jays previously, so there's already that connection.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
If he goes to Toronto all of his Sox connections vanish. He won't help two teams.

I don't mean help like he would give the Sox good deals, obviously, I am saying that they could be a friendly trade partner to do business with and maybe if the Sox are looking for a 3B, and the Blue Jays are looking for a SP, they would be each other's first phone calls to work out a deal. It's always beneficial to have good connections.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 05:24 AM)
http://www.bluejaysmessageboard.com/thread...r-Beeston/page3

Blue Jays' fans are absolutely appalled by the idea of bringing in Kenny and they are not fond of current CEO Beeston.

It's interesting as I wouldn't be very upset if Williams did leave, but most of the posters around here seemed to be bothered by the idea.

i will go with my positive remark and leave it like that. ;)

he earned the right to continue to explore a better position.

I see why the Toronto fans wouldn't want him. Just go through his list of trades and it's hard to find more than a handful in which he got fair value, and he made some absolute howler trades. (some of which are understandable if you know the context, which their fans don't know).

Still, I don't trust JR to spend money without someone that he trusts directing the spending. The only 2 baseball people I know that he trusts are Williams and Larussa. I think his instincts are to play small market team. Just my feeling.

Edited by GreenSox