2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:35 PM)
Lovie could never do offense. Too bad, with the right OC, he had a chance to be good.

wait. Why does a guy who took a 2-14 team and got them to 6-10 deserve to be fired?

Someone in that front office has to go.

Bucs were top 10 in total offense coming into the final week.

Thought he should've been given another year with Winston.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:54 PM)
Why the hell would you fire lovie two years into his tenure as every other team in the league looks for a new coach?

If it were a real franchise, I would assume the front office knew something we didn't, but it doesn't appear obvious to me why you would drop Lovie. Lovie is a good coach on the level of a Jeff Fisher. I don't see the Bucs replacing him with someone better.

Head scratcher...

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:59 PM)
If it were a real franchise, I would assume the front office knew something we didn't, but it doesn't appear obvious to me why you would drop Lovie. Lovie is a good coach on the level of a Jeff Fisher. I don't see the Bucs replacing him with someone better.

Head scratcher...

He's better than Fisher. The Bucs improved a ton this year and have some really good talent on offense and they looked explosive at times. I don't really get this move at all but its the Bucs so I'm sure it will be followed by a stupid hire.

Well the Glazers had Chip Kelly a few years ago until he changed his mind at the last second. Any coach would want a chance to come to an organization where you have a franchise QB who just turned 22 today.

The Glazers better not have made this move bc they were scared of losing Dirk Koetter. Koetter was a good OC but that doesn't mean that he should be a HC. Some guys are just coordinators. Nothing wrong with that.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 09:52 PM)
Bucs were top 10 in total offense coming into the final week.

Thought he should've been given another year with Winston.

In general, I think teams that have this much coaching turnover are dumb. Lovie is a bad coach though and a terrible talent evaluator. He had personnel control and made many questionable decisions. They'll be bringing in an offensive guy.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:08 PM)
Well the Glazers had Chip Kelly a few years ago until he changed his mind at the last second. Any coach would want a chance to come to an organization where you have a franchise QB who just turned 22 today.

The Glazers better not have made this move bc they were scared of losing Dirk Koetter. Koetter was a good OC but that doesn't mean that he should be a HC. Some guys are just coordinators. Nothing wrong with that.

I think it'll be Josh McDaniels. Spent 5 years with Jason Licht and he's leading the search.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:47 PM)
Where'd you see this at?

That would give him a sack every 47.4 snaps. Obviously things probably wouldn't play out this way, but if he played the same number of snaps as Watt at that pace, he would have had 20 sacks.

The Bears' twitter account

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 10:52 PM)
In general, I think teams that have this much coaching turnover are dumb. Lovie is a bad coach though and a terrible talent evaluator. He had personnel control and made many questionable decisions. They'll be bringing in an offensive guy.

I just can't see why anyone would work for that organization. They have now shown you have no time as head coach to improve.

This coaching carousel spinning so fast is really bad news for the "losing organizations". Why would you ever coach the Browns? You have one shot to coach and you've been dreaming about it your whole life. Why would you waste your shot at Cleveland?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 07:52 AM)
Doesn't make any sense.

A Tampa writer was on the score earlier and was talking about how they knew that Koetter was going to be in demand and that they wanted to keep him around, and there were rumors that he was asked to change defensive coaches and he said no.

To me it looks like Licht decided he wanted his own guy, which is ironic considering Lovie had a hand in Licht getting hired

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 08:57 AM)
A Tampa writer was on the score earlier and was talking about how they knew that Koetter was going to be in demand and that they wanted to keep him around, and there were rumors that he was asked to change defensive coaches and he said no.

To me it looks like Licht decided he wanted his own guy, which is ironic considering Lovie had a hand in Licht getting hired

One of the big Bucs writers and local radio host here in Tampa is saying Lovie was never asked to change his staff.

It has to be about not wanting to lose Koetter. Sounds like Koetter was going to get a HC job somewhere and the Bucs don't want to lose that relationship between him and Winston.

Maybe Mike Smith as his DC.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)
One of the big Bucs writers and local radio host here in Tampa is saying Lovie was never asked to change his staff.

It has to be about not wanting to lose Koetter. Sounds like Koetter was going to get a HC job somewhere and the Bucs don't want to lose that relationship between him and Winston.

This makes sense and is something the Bears should have done to protect Cutler. The Bears carousel of coaches on the offensive side of the ball and hiring defensive minded coaches sans the buffoon Treastman has led to a constant state of flux. Now Gase is gone and in comes a new offensive guy.

It seems the offense changes annually.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
I thought they would give Lovie another year. I wonder if it has something to do with personal decisions.

There were 6-6 and finished 6-10. Their drafts have been good (Jason Licht makes the picks) but Lovie runs free agency, the 53, and has personnel control. Here is why he got fired: Michael Johnson, Alterraun Verner, Dane Fletcher, Bruce Carter, Sterling Moore, Henry Melton, Tim jennings, Chris Conte, and Major Wright. Hitching your wagon to bad football players usually ends up being your demise.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
This makes sense and is something the Bears should have done to protect Cutler. The Bears carousel of coaches on the offensive side of the ball and hiring defensive minded coaches sans the buffoon Treastman has led to a constant state of flux. Now Gase is gone and in comes a new offensive guy.

No. Nobody is going to look at the Bucs firing their head coach to promote their coordinator and say "Bears should have done that".

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)

Welcome to the NFL. You get a good OC, he moves on to bigger and better things.

Unless you're seriously suggesting the Bears fire John Fox and name Gase manager, which would be completely ridiculous. John Fox hired Gase and I fully expect him to hire a strong replacement.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
There were 6-6 and finished 6-10. Their drafts have been good (Jason Licht makes the picks) but Lovie runs free agency, the 53, and has personnel control. Here is why he got fired: Michael Johnson, Alterraun Verner, Dane Fletcher, Bruce Carter, Sterling Moore, Henry Melton, Tim jennings, Chris Conte, and Major Wright. Hitching your wagon to bad football players usually ends up being your demise.

Which is why it's funny seeing fans go crazy over NFL free agency bc most times it's a bust.

Lovie did release a few guys that have done well elsewhere but one reason Lovie signed those players is because in his only two drafts with the Bucs, TB only selected 1 defensive player. I think he brought those guys in hoping those players could still give him a season or two and they knew his system while he fixed the offensive side of the roster.

Kinda ironic that for years Lovie has been blasted for his offensive hirings and then last year he gets Tedford as OC and he can't make it past preseason bc of health reasons and the season was basically lost and then he makes a good hiring with Koetter and that may have been the reason he was fired.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)

The is an article on bleacher report suggesting part of the move was because the defense has stars on it yet has been regressing every year. It suggested that they believe the cover 2 is dated and he wouldn't change.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
No. Nobody is going to look at the Bucs firing their head coach to promote their coordinator and say "Bears should have done that".

That is not my point.

The Bucs recognized that they need a stable offensive minded coach for Winston and they see the guy they want.

If they lose the OC, now Winston has a new OC, which would be the third in three years under Lovie there....although Tedford was for medical reasons

The Bears will have their third in three years as well and no coach will have been the OC for Cutler for more than two years and will be the 7th in 8 years.

There is an article about this out there

http://sportsmockery.com/2015/11/chicago-b...-of-sadness/11/

I DO NOT THINK THE BEARS SHOULD FIRE FOX FOR GASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do understand why the Bucs did fire Lovie for an offensive minded coach.

Edited by Harry Chappas