Red Sox looking for cost controlled pitchers

GGajewski18

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)
My dance partner for a trade for Quintana is the Dodgers.

LHP Julio Urias, C/2B Austin Barnes, and either Joc Peterson or Corey Seager.

this will be a short dance. Like, you got to the dance hall, and they told you to go home

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
this will be a short dance. Like, you got to the dance hall, and they told you to go home

I get that Pederson is out since he's already contributing to the big league team...but again, if you're not getting someone like Seager + other solid guys, there's little motivation to move Quintana. Not with that ridiculously valuable contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
I get that Pederson is out since he's already contributing to the big league team...but again, if you're not getting someone like Seager + other solid guys, there's little motivation to move Quintana. Not with that ridiculously valuable contract.

If Hahn was able to get the (currently) #1 minor league prospect for Quintana, more power to him.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
There is no chance of Swihart being dealt unless it is for a TOR guy and Quintana is not that guy. Thats been the main hold up in a Hamels deal.

I think you could probably get someone like Henry Owens whose stock is down a bit, Marrero or Cecchini, JBJ and then a couple low level lottery ticket guys. I would try to expand the trade to include a swap of Cabrera for Naploli and his contract that will expire at the end of the season.

Saw a roundtable earlier in the wekk with 4 Boston media members and they all felt Swihart is odd man out when Vazquez returns. Boston thinks they found their TOR guy in Rodriguez who has been dominating since put in rotation. So Q is certainly a #2 and they still have Buchholz and their stud in AAA in Johnson. Only problem is Q is a lefty and so are their two young pitchers.

Boston would not want a Cabrera for Napoli. Napoli is a 1st baseman and Melky doesn't play first. Now Boston has this great outfielder named DeAza who they are raving about. Maybe Melky for him.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
Boston will always be looking to trade prospects. Once Vazquez comes back they have 3 catchers on their ML roster. Media seems to think Swihart will be the one to go. Cecchini is boxed out w Sandoval but he is having a bad year at AAA. I agree Bradley is worth a flyer as he was tearing up AAA before being recalled.

They are willing to trade their bad ones. Bradley is a flier, and only that. He's struggled badly in both Major League stints. Cecchini isn't just boxed in - he's simply not a top prospect anymore....signing Sadoval suggested that even without Cecchini's bad year this year. Swithart's on the DL.

Redsox prospects are generally overhyped...hard to separate the quality rising prospects from foolsgold. I like the way we did it last time...do our own scouting and find the throw ins in A ball before the hype machine has hit, and hope.

Henry Owens is a pitcher, so they wouldn't trade him if he's top prospect, which he may not be as he seems to have languished.

Marrero is hitting.650 OPS in AAA....he hit .545 there last year.

I'm sure they have some, but they don't look as replete as commonly suggested.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
Guys, you know how we all make fun of those ridiculous bloggers who have ridiculous notions of their favorite players' trade values? That's what you all sound like.

Really? One of the best 20-25 pitchers in the game signed long term to a very team friendly contract? Pay up...or you won't get him.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 07:24 PM)
They are willing to trade their bad ones.

Hanley Ramirez, Josh Reddick and Jose Iglesias were pretty good ones they traded for pitching. Hopefully somone in White Sox system has seen their AAA up close and can see who is ML ready. I fear Bradley will be an untouchable by September so it may be too late if Q is involved in a Boston deal. Swihart DL is probably to hold him for 2 weeks till they see what direction they are going with 4 catchers. He will head back to AAA unless they trade a catcher.

Hate to break your guys heart but talking about swihart or Betts for quintana isn't going to happen. Phillies were wanting one of the 2 for starting a package for hamels which is a ace and boston wasn't going for it. There are numerous articles saying swihart is red sox future catcher and also saying that Betts isn't getting moved either. So yes quintana isn't a ace like Hamels and if boston isn't moving one of the 2 for hamels they are for sure not moving them for quintana. Now quintana has been doing his thing in the American League for the past 4ish years sofar and has gotten better but doesn't have the longer track record in the bigs like hamels.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 4, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)
Hanley Ramirez, Josh Reddick and Jose Iglesias were pretty good ones they traded for pitching. Hopefully somone in White Sox system has seen their AAA up close and can see who is ML ready. I fear Bradley will be an untouchable by September so it may be too late if Q is involved in a Boston deal. Swihart DL is probably to hold him for 2 weeks till they see what direction they are going with 4 catchers. He will head back to AAA unless they trade a catcher.
Rizzo, too. But that was then. They were playing for a WS when they let Iglesias go (and they didn't think he'd hit).

They just sent Bradley down after for the 2nd time this season after yet another failed effort. Hit AAA, fail in majors, is not unusual. His value is pretty low.

Swihart is supposed to be very good defensively - but his AAA hitting stats were not overly compelling; and neither are his Major League stats - very well get a guy who hits like Flowers but can play D. Then you have the 2 Cubans. That's it for top position prospects. I don't see them as a match for Q who nets, if not an elite prospect (which I doubt we'd get), several really good ones.

Astros and other teams have more interesting ones, imo. I think we need young hitters, regardless of position.

And when teams like the Cubs and Astros are starting marginal 5th guys like Richard and Straily, we might get a lot more than I would expect.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 4, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
What do you think is fair then?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 4, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)
Really? One of the best 20-25 pitchers in the game signed long term to a very team friendly contract? Pay up...or you won't get him.

Generally speaking:

Betts is untouchable, you guys are treating him as merely a starting point for a deal.

Swihart would be a realistic prized centerpiece, you guys are treating him like he could be the second or third piece.

There's no way they'd give up both Margot and Devers, and probably only one of them if the centerpiece is a notch below Swihart. THey'd probably push hard to make on of those two THE centerpiece.

Let me be clear: I'm NOT advocating trading Quintana. The best case scenario, realistically, is probably Swihart, Kopech/Chavis, two solid arms you haven't heard of. I'm not saying it's good, I'm just trying to be realistic. We need to remember that a young, controllable, above average position player is more valuable than a similar pitcher, and positional prospects are valued extremely highly right now.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 4, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
I know I probably sound like a broken record but I've been on this Sox-BoSox Quintana trade long before this thread. I've said Vazques, Marrero, Margot and Edwin Escobar is fair for both teams and I still think it makes sense. I think asking for Swihart will get you nowhere.

You're probably right.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 4, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
Generally speaking:

Betts is untouchable, you guys are treating him as merely a starting point for a deal.

Swihart would be a realistic prized centerpiece, you guys are treating him like he could be the second or third piece.

There's no way they'd give up both Margot and Devers, and probably only one of them if the centerpiece is a notch below Swihart. THey'd probably push hard to make on of those two THE centerpiece.

Let me be clear: I'm NOT advocating trading Quintana. The best case scenario, realistically, is probably Swihart, Kopech/Chavis, two solid arms you haven't heard of. I'm not saying it's good, I'm just trying to be realistic. We need to remember that a young, controllable, above average position player is more valuable than a similar pitcher, and positional prospects are valued extremely highly right now.

Again swihart was asked as a starting point by Philly and boston told them no. Why would he then be available to stating point for quintana.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 4, 2015 -> 07:08 PM)
Again swihart was asked as a starting point by Philly and boston told them no. Why would he then be available to stating point for quintana.

f*** Boston. Their prospects are usually overrated.

Cause he hasn't been lighting the world on fire lstely.

The reason I brought up the Dodgers is that's where the prospects are right now. I just don't trust the Red Sox organization. According to John Sickels at minorleagueball.com Boston has the 2nd best minor league system in MLB. Cubs are #1; Twins, #3; Dodgers, #4; and Rangers, #5. The White Sox are stuck at #23. With the exception of the Red Sox, I'm OK with that thumb-nail sketch.

I could see the Sox working a deal with the Cubs centered around Schwarber plus other prospects for Quintana. I could see the Sox hooking up with the Texas Rangers with a deal for catching prospect Jorge Alfaro. I've already mentioned my wish list from the Dodgers.

Quintana, according to Fangraphs, was the tenth best pitcher in all of baseball last year. Right now he's tied for #30 with half a season to go. Quintana is a solid #2 to a close to #1 starting pitcher as a 26 year old with a cost-controlled contract through his age 31 season. On the Cubs, he would be their ace. Same for the Rangers. He'd be the #3 on the Dodgers, but the Dodgers may lose Greinke next year, so he would help provide depth for their rotation.

If any of those teams, or any other contenders, want Quintana, they should have to pay dearly to get him.

And apologies, it's Joc Pederson, not Peterson.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 4, 2015 -> 09:47 PM)
The reason I brought up the Dodgers is that's where the prospects are right now. I just don't trust the Red Sox organization. According to John Sickels at minorleagueball.com Boston has the 2nd best minor league system in MLB. Cubs are #1; Twins, #3; Dodgers, #4; and Rangers, #5. The White Sox are stuck at #23. With the exception of the Red Sox, I'm OK with that thumb-nail sketch.

I could see the Sox working a deal with the Cubs centered around Schwarber plus other prospects for Quintana. I could see the Sox hooking up with the Texas Rangers with a deal for catching prospect Jorge Alfaro. I've already mentioned my wish list from the Dodgers.

Quintana, according to Fangraphs, was the tenth best pitcher in all of baseball last year. Right now he's tied for #30 with half a season to go. Quintana is a solid #2 to a close to #1 starting pitcher as a 26 year old with a cost-controlled contract through his age 31 season. On the Cubs, he would be their ace. Same for the Rangers. He'd be the #3 on the Dodgers, but the Dodgers may lose Greinke next year, so he would help provide depth for their rotation.

If any of those teams, or any other contenders, want Quintana, they should have to pay dearly to get him.

And apologies, it's Joc Pederson, not Peterson.

This post is beautiful.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 4, 2015 -> 05:09 PM)
f*** Boston. Their prospects are usually overrated.

Yep and they're almost as badly off as the Sox are with all the money they handed out. Of course they have a lot coming in too so that's why I said almost as bad off . They're just as likely to hold onto their young players as they are to try to move Sandoval or Hanley . They might just cut some of their losses and pay for parts of those contracts.

They can always try and fix things every year once they admit its not working.

The Sox (the White variety) management can't see the forest for the trees and have this wonderful 3 year plan and damn it they're going to stick to it come hell or high water.Hell is here already. They just better milk Shark for everything they can get. He's in high demand and he needs to be moved to whoever offers the best package regardless of positions.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 4, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)
Hate to break your guys heart but talking about swihart or Betts for quintana isn't going to happen. Phillies were wanting one of the 2 for starting a package for hamels which is a ace and boston wasn't going for it. There are numerous articles saying swihart is red sox future catcher and also saying that Betts isn't getting moved either. So yes quintana isn't a ace like Hamels and if boston isn't moving one of the 2 for hamels they are for sure not moving them for quintana. Now quintana has been doing his thing in the American League for the past 4ish years sofar and has gotten better but doesn't have the longer track record in the bigs like hamels.

Actually, over the last 3 seasons, they have been incredibly similar in value, so you can't really make the argument that Hamels is an ace while Q isn't. In addition, Q is 5 years younger and much cheaper which makes him far more attractive to prospective teams IMO.

Edited by Dunt

Because Hamels makes like $100 million more than Quintana.

But, that said, I said I think Swihart is like the BEST case scenario. Like he's the best guy I can imagine Quintana bringing, I don't think it's likely he's included.