Thread from 2015: White Sox sign Carson Fulmer

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
Correct, he told us (Future Sox) he's not signing. Just found out last night.

DJ King is still in theory a possible sign, but I know nothing about the guy.

That's a shame, the Sox haven't developed a full-time catcher since Ron Karkovice—and a good offensive catcher since Brian Downing.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 06:27 AM)
Not at the expense for learning. Look at it this way. The sox may have one less year of control but they get one more year of an effective pitcher in the mlb.

This is why MLB teams have minors league affiliates. To help players learn, make adjustments and allow players to progress at their own pace while under the watchful eye of the major league teams FO. Jumping from college ball to the majors is a huge hurdle. Fulmer will not be a starter for the Sox this season due to his inning totals so far this year and he is not needed in the pen.

Another thing to keep in mind is Fulmer's season started in mid February which means he likely started throwing around the first of the year to prepare for his last season in college. It's already been a long season for the young man so it would be best to see how he fairs against tougher competition in the minors while monitoring his innings.

Fulmer's progression should be determined by Fulmer's performance and not by others that came before him or overly eager fans and FO that do not want to wait. Patience.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 05:49 PM)
This is why MLB teams have minors league affiliates. To help players learn, make adjustments and allow players to progress at their own pace while under the watchful eye of the major league teams FO. Jumping from college ball to the majors is a huge hurdle. Fulmer will not be a starter for the Sox this season due to his inning totals so far this year and he is not needed in the pen.

Another thing to keep in mind is Fulmer's season started in mid February which means he likely started throwing around the first of the year to prepare for his last season in college. It's already been a long season for the young man so it would be best to see how he fairs against tougher competition in the minors while monitoring his innings.

Fulmer's progression should be determined by Fulmer's performance and not by others that came before him or overly eager fans and FO that do not want to wait. Patience.

excellent point and i agree.

remember last yr, Rodon had to be shelved b/c of innings he pitched. well Fulmer went the whole rt, all the way to ncaa college world series.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
excellent point and i agree.

remember last yr, Rodon had to be shelved b/c of innings he pitched. well Fulmer went the whole rt, all the way to ncaa college world series.

Rodon also had to be shelved because the minor league seasons were ending and they went right up to the deadline for signing him while negotiating with Boras. Calling him up would have cost them a year of free agency for him and they weren't doing that after that negotiation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
Rodon also had to be shelved because the minor league seasons were ending and they went right up to the deadline for signing him while negotiating with Boras. Calling him up would have cost them a year of free agency for him and they weren't doing that after that negotiation.

interesting......

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 11:49 AM)

I'm not saying which way is better. There are choices. If the Sox feel his pitching is beyond the minors, he would benefit fit from exposure to MLB hitters. No amount of time in the minors will get you the same experience of facing MLB hitters. There is that step from AAA to MLB that is it's own hurdle. If they feel his is at the AAA level, it may make more sense to go to the MLB earlier.

The innings limit is another story. They may pitch him a few games to see him in person then shut him down.

After the sox see him pitch they will decide if time in the minors is needed or if it's more like Sale and Rodon where his learning needs to be at the MLB level.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
Watch as 2015 first-round pick Carson Fulmer makes his debut in the Arizona League: http://t.co/Ah50PBAKTP http://t.co/FwCwbApb5F

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/623502617939804160

The reports actually came off better than the video, lol. I thought it was a little weak dribbler to 3B, not a smash. And I thought it was a lazy flyball to LF, not one belted deep.

Not that it really matters, but I think we all painted an amazing canvas in our heads.

• 7 years later...
27 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This is par for the course for this incompetent, dysfunctional and inept organization. 

It's also a bunch of stiffs trying to pin their failure on someone else. Fulmer has been let go by how many teams? Will no one let him long toss? I saw Clevenger long tossing before the game Friday. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's also a bunch of stiffs trying to pin their failure on someone else. Fulmer has been let go by how many teams? Will no one let him long toss? I saw Clevenger long tossing before the game Friday. 

I agree there's "blame" to go around but as you and others have repeatedly pointed out the organization is terrible at developing players and have been for years. 

On 7/14/2015 at 11:23 PM, BigFinn said:
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
Correct, he told us (Future Sox) he's not signing. Just found out last night.

DJ King is still in theory a possible sign, but I know nothing about the guy.

That's a shame, the Sox haven't developed a full-time catcher since Ron Karkovice—and a good offensive catcher since Brian Downing.

That wouldn't have worked out well... either. 

I do think that he probably should have owned more of his own responsibility but I do think that conflicting messages are a big problem too.

That's not just the sox but also many other teams. For example a cardinals pitcher reported the same issue. The cardinals are generally not a bad player dev team but they kinda like the same "safe" type of player, i.e hitters with good strikeout to walk ratios and pitchers who throw strikes, avoid walks and pitch to contact.

However the latter doesn't work as well anymore so the player had the issue that some coaches would teach him the old "cardinals way" while other more modern coaches would tell him, "no, Go for the swing and miss".

I guess that is the same issue with the sox, some old school coaches and some more modern data driven guys and then players getting pulled in all kind of directions.

Reports from the rays and dodgers are that they got a plan for you and speak with the same voice from rookie ball all the way to the majors. That can be bad too if it is outdated stuff (like telling a pitcher to establish the fastball down early in the count and only throw offspeed with 2 strikes) but it certainly makes it easier on the players.

Not an easy thing to establish though, with dozens of coaches and levels and likely will lead to pushback but long term it probably is best.

13 hours ago, soxrwhite said:

If he didn't make it its on him. No one else. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions or inactions.

Meh, when I was playing I had plenty of coaches I had to tune out due to bad advice/know it all attitude. I'd imagine that'd be hard for someone drafted out of college to a major league organization. You want to come in and do what you're told.

There are so many levels in an mlb organization it's probably a whirlwind of info for these young players coming from guys that failed themselves. Blame to go around? Sure. But good/bad coaching matters too. Sometimes too much. 

• Like 2

• Quin changed the title to Thread from 2015: White Sox sign Carson Fulmer