Where the f*** is Erik Johnson?

ron883

Why hasn't he been called up yet? He is making a mockery of AAA right now. He has nothing left to prove. These are the only reasons I can think of really.

1. There is something with his Arb/free agency clock that I don't know about. They are limiting his time in the majors for that reason.

2. They don't want a 6 man rotation, and they want to see if they can dump Danks on somebody.

You tell me folks. I want to see him pitch.

I don't understand it as well. It would behoove the Sox to figure out if he can be a part of the 2016 rotation. The more starts he gets in the Majors, the better sample size you have to make the decision. If you have to skip Danks, then that's what you do. Determining if Erik Johnson can be a cost-controlled mid-rotation piece is way more important than letting Danks continue to pitch as a starter for whatever reason the Sox give. Sadly, I think the Sox hope they can trade Danks + Cash to a team next year.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 08:36 PM)
Why hasn't he been called up yet? He is making a mockery of AAA right now. He has nothing left to prove. These are the only reasons I can think of really.

1. There is something with his Arb/free agency clock that I don't know about. They are limiting his time in the majors for that reason.

2. They don't want a 6 man rotation, and they want to see if they can dump Danks on somebody.

You tell me folks. I want to see him pitch.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)
As quiet as they were about Johnson last year, and as many chances as they have had to call him up, I really think there is a reason we don't know about that we haven't seen him. My guess is that they don't trust him.

I think they made their bets on competing with Samardzija. "If we keep playing like this, we'll be right there in the end" - Rick Hahn.

They're not going to eat Danks's money, they're not going to shut down Sale or Quintana or Rodon, Samardzija has to pitch, they'd have to release someone from the bullpen to move Danks there, they may as well pretend to be competitive until Sept. 1 since they already committed to it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 08:47 PM)
I think they made their bets on competing with Samardzija. "If we keep playing like this, we'll be right there in the end" - Rick Hahn.

They're not going to eat Danks's money, they're not going to shut down Sale or Quintana or Rodon, Samardzija has to pitch, they'd have to release someone from the bullpen to move Danks there, they may as well pretend to be competitive until Sept. 1 since they already committed to it.

This is the best breakdown.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 10:45 PM)
I think 2k5 is on the right track. I think the Sox know he doesn't have what it takes "between the ears" as Hawk says. Sox don't trust him and don't want to expose him. He's trade material this offseason is my bet.

He'd fit right in.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 04:45 AM)
I think 2k5 is on the right track. I think the Sox know he doesn't have what it takes "between the ears" as Hawk says. Sox don't trust him and don't want to expose him. He's trade material this offseason is my bet.

i too was questioning why they did not bring him up as of late.

are they trying to pad his stats for the possibility of trading him????

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 06:46 PM)
As quiet as they were about Johnson last year, and as many chances as they have had to call him up, I really think there is a reason we don't know about that we haven't seen him. My guess is that they don't trust him.

Too active of an imagination. Sox are in no position not to trust him, no position to trade young pitching. They should be more concerned with their own flawed thinking.

They should have gone to a 6 man rotation a few weeks ago once it was obvious they were out of it. Calling him up in September does not get a good enough reading on him since the level of play for most teams deteriorates with the call-ups.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 11:45 PM)

My thoughts exactly.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)
They should have gone to a 6 man rotation a few weeks ago once it was obvious they were out of it. Calling him up in September does not get a good enough reading on him since the level of play for most teams deteriorates with the call-ups.

I get having to do it sometimes, but I hate the idea of doing a 6 man rotation for a full month. It really taxes the bullpen and the lineup since it requires limited depth in at least one of those spots, and especially since the White Sox are playing catchup for the whole 2nd half on number of games I strongly dislike it. You can't exactly carry a long man or a deep bullpen if you're running the 6 man rotation out there for a full month, and if you hit one extra inning game suddenly your bullpen is gone and you don't have an offday for 2 weeks. September...fine, you've got the full 40-man roster to play with.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 07:29 AM)
Too active of an imagination. Sox are in no position not to trust him, no position to trade young pitching. They should be more concerned with their own flawed thinking.

Eh. When you have followed a team for as long and as detailed as I have, you learn to read the tea leaves. With all of the different one day call up opportunities, he never got called up. To me it means something. It could just mean they are leaving him down as long as possible to build confidence, who knows.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)
Maybe the White Sox don't think he's good enough to succeed in the Big Leagues. If he's not brought up in September I'm expecting him to be moved in a trade this off season.

I am going to predict he is brought up, but it used in a spot starter role in very specific situations. Unless someone is injured, we aren't seeing a 6 man rotation, nor are we seeing someone being pulled from the roation.

I understand the argument for the Sox thinking he might not be able to cut it in the majors, but really when would have been a good time to bring him up? There's been no spot in the rotation for him, Balta has already pointed out the problems with a 6-man rotation, and the only spot start I can remember is the one that Beck made, and I'm pretty sure Johnson had just recently pitched at that time so he wasn't available anyway.

Also near the trade deadline his starts were moved to line up with Samardzija's in case of a trade. If we had traded away Jeff there's no way he's not up here right now.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 19, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
I understand the argument for the Sox thinking he might not be able to cut it in the majors, but really when would have been a good time to bring him up? There's been no spot in the rotation for him, Balta has already pointed out the problems with a 6-man rotation, and the only spot start I can remember is the one that Beck made, and I'm pretty sure Johnson had just recently pitched at that time so he wasn't available anyway.

Also near the trade deadline his starts were moved to line up with Samardzija's in case of a trade. If we had traded away Jeff there's no way he's not up here right now.

He will be up in a couple weeks. I don't know why they have to disrupt their rotation. What does what he does now have to do with what he will do next season? The Sox already played and lost that game.