Mike Olt dfa'd by Cubs, claimed by White Sox

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
And Olt's OPS is .521 this year. Your point is? :unsure:

Olt: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/oltmi01.shtml

No matter how you slice it, this move makes zero sense and the Sox have nothing to gain by giving a 4A player some playing time.

At one time, he was considered one of the top prospects in baseball. Chances are he will be nothing, but the Sox have no roster crunch, bring him in, give him a couple ABs, he supposedly changed some things up after this injury, see what he has, maybe see how the offseason treats him. If you wind up waiving him, you lose nothing.

Unless the Sox can't afford the $85k this move will cost, it makes no sense NOT to make. He is better than Matt Davidson.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
You are absolutely correct. In 6 games, and 15 at-bats, Olt's OPS is indeed .521. He OPS'd .823 in the minors for about 1/2 the season, missing time due to a broken wrist. Give him some time, and see if he can hit. Again, the White Sox have nothing at all to lose.

I think you're missing the point which is that Olt has proven he cannot hit major league pitching. His numbers last year for the cubs prove that and please don't bring up a 27 year olds numbers in the minors because at that age, they are irrelevant and show that Olt is in fact a 4A player and nothing more. Yes, Olt has power potential but so does Davidson whom was not called up due to poor hitting and a high K rate. Olt is literally the same as Davidson but at least Davidson is only 24 whereas Olt is 27.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy to see Gillaspie go and by no means do I want Gillaspie back in a Sox uni but claiming a player that is worse than one that was traded away due to a lack of production makes no sense at all.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
At one time, he was considered one of the top prospects in baseball. Chances are he will be nothing, but the Sox have no roster crunch, bring him in, give him a couple ABs, he supposedly changed some things up after this injury, see what he has, maybe see how the offseason treats him. If you wind up waiving him, you lose nothing.

Unless the Sox can't afford the $85k this move will cost, it makes no sense NOT to make. He is better than Matt Davidson.

He is a 27 year version of Davidson. Low BA, high K-rate etc. While the SOX may have nothing to lose, other players do and would rather see Saladino continue to get the reps because Saladino has at least shown the ability to hit a little in the majors and more importantly play good 3B defense, neither of which Olt has done at the major league level.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)
He is a 27 year version of Davidson. Low BA, high K-rate etc. While the SOX may have nothing to lose, other players do and would rather see Saladino continue to get the reps because Saladino has at least shown the ability to hit a little in the majors and more importantly play good 3B defense, neither of which Olt has done at the major league level.

Saladino has a .601 OPS which is lower than Olt's last season. I don't mind Saladino and expect his bat to improve, but one more option isn't going to hurt his development. He might not even be a 3B next spring.

2 years ago Olt was a top 25 prospect. He isn't a typical waiver claim other than he probably flames out, but maybe he pulls a JD Martinez

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 04:55 PM)
Saladino has a .601 OPS which is lower than Olt's last season. I don't mind Saladino and expect his bat to improve, but one more option isn't going to hurt his development. He might not even be a 3B next spring.

2 years ago Olt was a top 25 prospect. He isn't a typical waiver claim other than he probably flames out, but maybe he pulls a JD Martinez

Come on Dick, .3 points lower. ;)

I would rather give Davidson a shot and imo, he is not ready either. At least Davidson has shown vast improvement defensively. To me, Olt is a 27 year old version of Davidson.

Obviously, as a SOX fan I hope I am wrong on this but I just don't see the point in the claim. There's not much time left in the season for Olt to prove much.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
If you were wondering who the last player to play for both Chicago teams in the same season---

2003 Josh Paul

The five before that...

1998 Matt Karchner

1990 Bill Long

1981 Lynn McGlothen

1977 Steve Renko

1972 Phil Regan

Bonifacio is doing it as well

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
What's Olt's status for next season? Does he have minor league options remaining?

Probably not, or he would be in Cubbie AAA - right?

I'm glad they're bringing him up - find out what they have. Probably nothing, but the Sox have nothing at 3rd anyway.

Meanwhile, would someone kindly tell Don Ventura to sit Alexei for the rest of the season and let Saladino or Sanchez work at short?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 06:05 PM)
This is all fine but if Olt is the starting 3B next year or in the picture even, well then s***balls as they say.

If he is in the picture it means he is showing his earlier promise. He has power, somethimg the Sox can use. Chances are. A year from now we will all forget he was ever a White Sox, but it is worth a shot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2015 -> 11:38 PM)
If he is in the picture it means he is showing his earlier promise. He has power, somethimg the Sox can use. Chances are. A year from now we will all forget he was ever a White Sox, but it is worth a shot.

well i just look at the splits on his career, looking at the stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=olt---001mic)

his history appears to be a little less than DV.

great stats in the minors and weak in the majors. i just hope he can recoup his good hitting and the sox will reap the benefits.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 01:38 AM)
Olt will be our starting third baseman when we win the world series in the next few years.

If the Sox are investing in Olt I hope they are also up on the latest in concussion treatment. I know Olt had a concussion playing winter ball before the 2013 season but he then had vision problems that probably were concussion related in 2013. Might as well send him to the best concussion Doctor's in the world.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 05:31 AM)
Let him play 3rd for the rest of september, nothing to lose. If he is decent at defense and can hit .250/.320/.400 he is better than any other option we have next year

i will disagree.... he already had 2 1/2 season of hitting below the 200 avg. let him start working with the coaches with an occasional game to get some reps. then go full force in the offseason and spring training.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 05:40 AM)
If the Sox are investing in Olt I hope they are also up on the latest in concussion treatment. I know Olt had a concussion playing winter ball before the 2013 season but he then had vision problems that probably were concussion related in 2013. Might as well send him to the best concussion Doctor's in the world.

Whelp. Don't f***ing send him to Washington...

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 6, 2015 -> 01:56 AM)
Got nothing to lose on this but it does say something about the black hole in the organization at third base (and catcher...and DH...)

Mark

I think outfield is a bigger black hole than DH. Avi or Melky could be a DH if we had a competent outfielder to play LF or RF. Not sure why they don't throw Thompson in there on a regular basis just to be sure he is not the answer.