My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
Oh, I don't know. That plan would make the Sox legit contenders to be a .500 ball club. So there's that. :P

Even past the team passing out its first hundred million dollar contract, for a position that isn't even the teams biggest weakness, it wouldn't help the team nearly enough to justify that investment.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not alone but I don't want the Sox spending any money this offseason. Shed LaRoche even if you have to eat a lot of his contract and let young kids play for a year. Rotate DH between guys. Risking another bad FA contract is something I'm not really interested in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
Even past the team passing out its first hundred million dollar contract, for a position that isn't even the teams biggest weakness, it wouldn't help the team nearly enough to justify that investment.

But, but, they would be a .500 club!

I absolutely agree. If the Sox were and 85+ win team in '15, Cespedes would make much more sense but the Sox need much more than another outfielder. 3B and C are the biggest needs

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
But, but, they would be a .500 club!

I absolutely agree. If the Sox were and 85+ win team in '15, Cespedes would make much more sense but the Sox need much more than another outfielder. 3B and C are the biggest needs

FWIW---Olney said today that Cespedes prolonged hitting slump since September and his miscues in the outfield is costing him major FA dollars.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)
FWIW---Olney said today that Cespedes prolonged hitting slump since September and his miscues in the outfield is costing him major FA dollars.

In terms of FA outfielders, my wish list in order is Heyward, Upton, Gordon, Cespedes.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
Probably not alone but I don't want the Sox spending any money this offseason. Shed LaRoche even if you have to eat a lot of his contract and let young kids play for a year. Rotate DH between guys. Risking another bad FA contract is something I'm not really interested in.

Good when are we trading Sale and Q? Since your strategy involves wasting time we might as well trade them.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)

Regardless of what Olney says, Cespedes will get a big contract and the Sox still have more important needs. Signing or trading for another outfielder does nothing to help the voids at 3B and C. If the Sox were to somehow trade Melky or Avi it would make a bit more sense.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 02:24 AM)
Regardless of what Olney says, Cespedes will get a big contract and the Sox still have more important needs. Signing or trading for another outfielder does nothing to help the voids at 3B and C. If the Sox were to somehow trade Melky or Avi it would make a bit more sense.

a voice of reason, but i wouldn't know if that is the order thats needs to be address.

for me, i really see a major need in everyday players who position is needed for hitting, like

3b, dh, and the team can deal with a weak hitting catcher if needed, but it the opportunity is there. then yes address the catching position after getting another sp.

so in order

3b

dh,

sp

and sp.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 07:30 PM)
a voice of reason, but i wouldn't know if that is the order thats needs to be address.

for me, i really see a major need in everyday players who position is needed for hitting, like

3b, dh, and the team can deal with a weak hitting catcher if needed, but it the opportunity is there. then yes address the catching position after getting another sp.

so in order

3b

dh,

sp

and sp.

Hahn has said the Sox are looking for a 3B and they are rumored to be on the lookout for a catcher too. DH is a void no doubt but I've begrudgingly accepted LaRoche will be with the Sox in '16 so I leave that void out since there's literally no chance the Sox just cut him. Just gotta ride it out for one more season and hope LaRoche can give the Sox more than he did this past season.

The Sox can definitely use another arm for more depth at SP but not sure if that's a good place to spend money with all the positional needs. 3B, C, SS, 2B and RF all under-performed in '15 so any kind of upgrade in any of those areas would be welcome.

Hopefully Hahn will get creative and solve a few of the problems so we all can have a better outlook on the '16 season.

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 07:55 PM)
Good when are we trading Sale and Q? Since your strategy involves wasting time we might as well trade them.

That's exactly correct. We still have Sale, and we still have Abreu, and they ain't going anywhere. That means we still have the "Three Year Plan" to maximize that oft-mentioned "window of opportunity" of having them with the Sox during their prime years (and at outrageously cheap prices!).

We burned through Year One of the Plan without much to show for it, as we know. So for Years Two & Three, I fully expect Hahn and Williams to continue to make a flurry of moves, free agents and trades, to try and right the ship. Both of them, in their own words, state that the goal is to get back to the postseason as quickly as possible while the "core" is intact. I don't think you get there by playing too many of the marginal positional players who were brought up last year, and/or putting all of the eggs in the basket of hopes that all of the vets who performed poorly last year will return to form. The Three Year Plan needs to be about a lot more than that.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)
Hahn has said the Sox are looking for a 3B and they are rumored to be on the lookout for a catcher too. DH is a void no doubt but I've begrudgingly accepted LaRoche will be with the Sox in '16 so I leave that void out since there's literally no chance the Sox just cut him. Just gotta ride it out for one more season and hope LaRoche can give the Sox more than he did this past season.

The Sox can definitely use another arm for more depth at SP but not sure if that's a good place to spend money with all the positional needs. 3B, C, SS, 2B and RF all under-performed in '15 so any kind of upgrade in any of those areas would be welcome.

Hopefully Hahn will get creative and solve a few of the problems so we all can have a better outlook on the '16 season.

I'm very intrigued to see what Hahn does and how creative he can be.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 09:24 PM)
Same here. I trust in Hahn's creativity but not Kenny's. Hopefully the Sox turn Hahn loose to see what he can do.

IMO it's a big offseason because they had a big one last offseason so can't have a sign Jeff Kepp and lets get to '16.

We have holes, while I know we can't fill them all, so we have to make some moves and be aggressive.

The creativity I'm thinking about is getting an impact bat without moving Q or Anderson, and Montas. I could see getting Upton or Cespedes. I just don't see us breaking the bank for Heyward (my pipe dream).

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 1, 2015 -> 08:42 PM)
IMO it's a big offseason because they had a big one last offseason so can't have a sign Jeff Kepp and lets get to '16.

We have holes, while I know we can't fill them all, so we have to make some moves and be aggressive.

The creativity I'm thinking about is getting an impact bat without moving Q or Anderson, and Montas. I could see getting Upton or Cespedes. I just don't see us breaking the bank for Heyward (my pipe dream).

That's going to be the tricky part no doubt. I don't think the SOX trade Q due to the lack of depth in AAA that could step into the rotation and they need the money for position players. I doubt they trade Anderson since they still believe he can stick at SS and he made big progress defensively this past season. Montas, call me crazy but I think the Sox try and keep him and trade Fulmer. I know some here will think I'm off my rocker but Montas throws mid to high 90's with ease and Fulmer is just violent with his motion. I could very well be wrong but I think the SOX could value Montas more than Fulmer.

My hangup with the FA outfielders is the Sox have holes on the infield that need to be addressed, then again, the Sox lineup as a whole needs all the help it can get. So confusing. :lol:

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 01:27 AM)

Me too. I think he'll stay. I hope we could find a better replacement. I know Tim is about a year away but I'd like to upgrade this spot for '16. Just don't know if there's really a better option right now. Maybe Desmond but he's coming off a down year offensively. He's an upgrade statistically but at what cost? That's my issue with Anderson looming.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 01:42 AM)
I think he'll be back for sure but am up in the air on whether they'll accept the option. I'll guess no.

Could always bring him back at a reduced rate to help with other acquisitions.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 02:06 AM)

you have very good logic in your reasoning. it is not what we hope but what the sox org will do.

then it is 3b then cat, then as you posted. i really don't know what to expect from the ss and 2b.... then i think we can safely say with MJ in the wings, 2b is covered..

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 02:42 AM)

i am torn on the trading or not trading. i can see the sox not trading, b/c at the end of the day, that rotation is knockout rotation only missing 1 sp.

but with the holes in the team, i really don't see the sox spending too much in the FA pool. it is not like them to go too deeply in spending, only spending within a limitation.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 07:35 AM)
i am torn on the trading or not trading. i can see the sox not trading, b/c at the end of the day, that rotation is knockout rotation only missing 1 sp.

but with the holes in the team, i really don't see the sox spending too much in the FA pool. it is not like them to go too deeply in spending, only spending within a limitation.

I don't see how the White Sox can make enough moves to make us that much better. Plus we still have Robin Ventura calling the shots. We're going to waste another year of good pitching by fielding a bad defensive team.

Smh we're doomed.