MLBTradeRumors Offseason Outlook

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 08:56 PM)
I'm predicting a busy offseason because they have to have one. I expect a new 3B, SP, C and an impact bat. Preferably RF.

Well we had a pretty busy offseason last season. How did that work out. We need to build this the right way. Wasting draft picks and playing the reload game every year is going to hamstring this organization into a perennial 75-83 win organization.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 10:31 PM)
Well we had a pretty busy offseason last season. How did that work out. We need to build this the right way. Wasting draft picks and playing the reload game every year is going to hamstring this organization into a perennial 75-83 win organization.

I'm not sure how many more playoff wins the Royals, Astros, and Cubs need before this board and the Sox organization figure out the formula.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 10:31 PM)

Whoa whoa. The Shark and Laroche flops came outa nowhere. I imagine we'll all be impressed again this offseason. Avi not taking a step forward was a major blow too. Feel bad for Rick that he has more work to do than he should.

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 10:49 PM)
Whoa whoa. The Shark and Laroche flops came outa nowhere. I imagine we'll all be impressed again this offseason. Avi not taking a step forward was a major blow too. Feel bad for Rick that he has more work to do than he should.

I feel bad for Rick because he's under Kenny's thumb. I'm getting impatient with the inaction in the managerial front, however.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 09:49 PM)

I feel there is a pattern that this team has little luck getting production out of veteran NL players. Get them while they are young. The last thing they need is to get another pitcher.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 11:03 PM)
I feel there is a pattern that this team has little luck getting production out of veteran NL players. Get them while they are young. The last thing they need is to get another pitcher.

I loved the Fulmer pick, but I am a little concerned this team can't develop fielding talent. The WAR statistics for developed fielders under Williams are staggeringly bad.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)
Ok ya that's what I was thinking of. Well he didn't come out and curse the organization but he wasn't happy at all. Never say never in this league. This team will have offers and good ones when they're trying to move Quintana.

I agree the Sox will have offers for Q, but Arenado is not one of them. He simply won't get dealt right now unless it's for some crazy package. He's in Pre-Arb years, he's a stud at probably the most drained position in baseball right now, and he's under control for another 4 years IIRC.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
Q is another subject we might not see eye to eye my man. Unless the Sox are offered a haul they just cannot pass up, I think Q will be the #2 for the '16 White Sox. I doubt seriously the Sox are shopping Q. Just my opinion is all.

One thing I'd like to point out is that this will be my third off season on this board and the third off season in which some members wanted to trade Q. I still remember the trade Q for Jason Castro idea a few years ago and thank goodness that didn't happen. :lol:

I think so too, but the Sox have to get creative. Even if the just trade him for prospects, they need to trade him for multiple prospects. If they don't plan on going for it, then Q should be able to net you 2 or 3 really good prospects if you play your cards right.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 08:31 PM)
Well we had a pretty busy offseason last season. How did that work out.

Pretty busy offseason before 2005.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 08:31 PM)
We need to build this the right way. Wasting draft picks...

Protected pick. If you don't intend to be in the bottom 10 teams in the coming years, the argument is there to pick up a big free agent this year. Keep the 10 pick, lose the 32 pick, keep the 42 pick.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GZ9...pub?output=html

According BP, the Sox have 88.7M committed to 10 players and 1 of those 10 is Alexei and his 1M buyout so its really 88.7M for 9 players + buyout and if the Sox keep Alexei the number jumps to 97.7M for all 10. Those numbers do not include arbitration eligible players in Jones, Putnam, Avi, Jennings and Flowers nor do they include pre-arb player salaries or potential FA signings. Depending on what the Sox do with Alexei they have between 30-40M to fill out 14 or 15 spots on the 25 man roster if they go with the same payroll as '15 (118.6M). Just a guess but I would imagine the arbitration players could easily add up to 10M and then factor in (500k+) for each pre-arb player.

Let's say the Sox buyout Alexei for more flexibility. Add these pre-arb players at 500k+ each to the 88.7 committed to 9 players.

EJ

Sanchez

Olt

Saladino

Micah

Petricka

Shuck

Rodon

Thompson

Brantly ( replaces Soto )

These players add 5M+ to the 88.7 committed and rounds out close enough to call it 94MM for 19 players.

Add in arbitration players in Jones, Putnam, Avi, Jennings and Flowers at an approximate 10M brings the total to 104M for 24 players which leaves room for one FA signing at 15M assuming JR does not raise the payroll, which he certainly could, who knows at this point.

All I'm doing here is show where the Sox are at with what they currently have both in players and salaries. It's easy to say trade this player for that player or sign this player but without raising the payroll the Sox only have approximately 15M to play with. Theres a few arbitration players they could cut bait with like Avi and Jennings but it won't make a huge difference although every bit helps when things are this tight.

If the Sox were to cut bait on Avi and Jennings, they could have enough left over to sign a few free agents, for instance, like Parra and Zobrist. The payroll would be about the same as it was this past season. I'm not a fan of signing Zobrist, just using him as an example.

I'm not trying to stir up the payroll debate, just trying to help put things in perspective. After seeing the contracts of Sale and Q, there's no f***ing way I trade them because their cheap contracts are the reason why the Sox have been able to sign other players.

GO WHITE SOX! :gosox3:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 10:52 PM)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GZ9...pub?output=html

According BP, the Sox have 88.7M committed to 10 players and 1 of those 10 is Alexei and his 1M buyout so its really 88.7M for 9 players + buyout and if the Sox keep Alexei the number jumps to 97.7M for all 10. Those numbers do not include arbitration eligible players in Jones, Putnam, Avi, Jennings and Flowers nor do they include pre-arb player salaries or potential FA signings. Depending on what the Sox do with Alexei they have between 30-40M to fill out 14 or 15 spots on the 25 man roster if they go with the same payroll as '15 (118.6M). Just a guess but I would imagine the arbitration players could easily add up to 10M and then factor in (500k+) for each pre-arb player.

Let's say the Sox buyout Alexei for more flexibility. Add these pre-arb players at 500k+ each to the 88.7 committed to 9 players.

EJ

Sanchez

Olt

Saladino

Micah

Petricka

Shuck

Rodon

Thompson

Brantly ( replaces Soto )

These players add 5M+ to the 88.7 committed and rounds out close enough to call it 94MM for 19 players.

Add in arbitration players in Jones, Putnam, Avi, Jennings and Flowers at an approximate 10M brings the total to 104M for 24 players which leaves room for one FA signing at 15M assuming JR does not raise the payroll, which he certainly could, who knows at this point.

All I'm doing here is show where the Sox are at with what they currently have both in players and salaries. It's easy to say trade this player for that player or sign this player but without raising the payroll the Sox only have approximately 15M to play with. Theres a few arbitration players they could cut bait with like Avi and Jennings but it won't make a huge difference although every bit helps when things are this tight.

If the Sox were to cut bait on Avi and Jennings, they could have enough left over to sign a few free agents, for instance, like Parra and Zobrist. The payroll would be about the same as it was this past season. I'm not a fan of signing Zobrist, just using him as an example.

I'm not trying to stir up the payroll debate, just trying to help put things in perspective. After seeing the contracts of Sale and Q, there's no f***ing way I trade them because their cheap contracts are the reason why the Sox have been able to sign other players.

GO WHITE SOX! :gosox3:

You put things into perspective and make me even more sure the Sox are going nowhere fast in 2016. The talent simply IS NOT there and they have no real solution to get the many areas solved under the circumstances. They are offering hope for next year, that's all (and sometimes that works although I would say not very often...talent wins out usually.)

Mark

Yep, and I'm going to bet Greg's house they end up picking up Alexei's option because they can't sell competing with Saladino or Stephen Drew or anyone but Ian Desmond (FA) or a higher-caliber SS taking his place. That player MAY be out there, but it's about as easy to match up for a trade as it is to get a great leadoff hitter, 3B, C, etc.

So you insert Alexei into the equation and you're talking about ONE guy (a LH replacement for Jennings) and Parra. Or the guy Rabbit mentioned, Stephen Pearce. It's definitely going to be "under the radar," and those kinds of smaller moves for the most part worked coming into 2005 (not counting the F. Garcia deal, of course). It might be another Korean INF, or a Japanese player, or more veteran Cuban who's undervalued.

You can forget Wieters, all of the OF/DH names...and Ben Zobrist will be too attractive to bigger market/win now teams like the Royals, Cubs, Astros, Mets, Cardinals, Dodgers, etc.

Zobrist would be a LUXURY to have (for the White Sox) versus a necessity on those playoff teams due to his positional versatility/flexibility.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 12:34 AM)
You put things into perspective and make me even more sure the Sox are going nowhere fast in 2016. The talent simply IS NOT there and they have no real solution to get the many areas solved under the circumstances. They are offering hope for next year, that's all (and sometimes that works although I would say not very often...talent wins out usually.)

Mark

It's kind of disheartening to be honest. At the moment I'm looking at 2016 as a season of potentially further developing young players such as Sanchez, Micah, EJ, Rodon and Thompson to see who can actually contribute to the making of a 2017 contender. Also buys time to see how Anderson progresses at SS and Michalczewski progresses at 3B. After next season the Sox will have a better idea of who sticks, who stinks and will have Danks/LaRoche's salaries off the books which opens up 28.75M. Hate to say it but we could be looking at 2016 ST duels for 3B with Olt/Davidson, SS with Saladino/Leury/Sanchez and 2B with Sanchez/Micah.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/2016...ree-agents.html

There's a few names that would certainly be of some interest to the Sox. Reddick ( really like Reddick alot) and Gomez look good for outfielders but I don't see much else of interest. SS and 3B are very weak so I'm not relying on the Sox going after free agents for those positions in '17. Hopefully Anderson will be ready by then with Michalczewski not too far behind.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 10:45 PM)
I'm not sure how many more playoff wins the Royals, Astros, and Cubs need before this board and the Sox organization figure out the formula.

Royals = 3 decades of not winning

Astros = hadn't made the playoffs in longer than the White Sox including 3 straight years of 100+ losses and literally 0 rated broadcasts, and rated one of the absolute worst franchises in sports (117 of 132 in the rankings last year, that we are 85th in this year)

Cubs = Fans still showing up, allowing them to not only completely rebuild, but also to still sign top free agents

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 06:07 AM)

Astros = hadn't made the playoffs in longer than the White Sox including 3 straight years of 100+ losses and literally 0 rated broadcasts, and rated one of the absolute worst franchises in sports (117 of 132 in the rankings last year, that we are 85th in this year)

Cubs = Fans still showing up, allowing them to not only completely rebuild, but also to still sign top free agents

But it won't be shocking at all if the Astros pass the White Sox after 2016.

The White Sox will have fallen to the fourth quartile from the back end of the second in the span of just two seasons.

The Royals have the best overall record in the AL the past three years and did at least lead the division until August, 2003. That particular team finished over .500 by a bit.

Let's also not forget the White Sox sent 24 years from 1959 to 83. And 40 from 1919.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 07:08 AM)
While Harrelson would be amped, Carlos Gomez would either get injured or do a pre-steroids Sammy Sosa impersonation with the White Sox.

Parra or Pearce will be cheaper...that's how we roll.

Second and third tier players other than Robertson and Abreu.

I'm hoping for David Freese, Asdrubal Cabrera as the stop gap to Anderson, and Wieters.

No reason to not be able to sign those guys. They won't be breaking the bank.

Then finding an impact bat via trade. Whether it's moving Q or a Montas package. I also wonder if Colorado would give up their 3B prospect McMahon.

We could look at young catchers around the league and maybe grab one to sit behind Wieters until they're ready.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 06:07 AM)

Cub attendance took a big hit the past few years remember which led to the drive to bring in Theo, completely gut the franchise and get to where they are today.

Their were a lot, ALOT of empty seats being shown on TV at Wrigley Field.

Cub fans were getting fed up and pissed off. Columns were written about it in both the Sun-Times and Tribune.

Just trying to be accurate.

And just last year the Royals manager called out his fan base for not showing up with the Royals winning. Three decades of losing will do that to a fan base who has to be convinced the season isn't a mirage. Sounds a lot like things on the South Side no? (example is 2000 after four losing seasons in five years time...)

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
Cub attendance took a big hit the past few years remember which led to the drive to bring in Theo, completely gut the franchise and get to where they are today.

Cub fans were getting fed up and pissed off. Columns were written about it in both the Sun-Times and Tribune.

And just last year the Royals manager called out his fan base for not showing up with the Royals winning. Three decades of losing will do that to a fan base who has to be convinced the season isn't a mirage. Sounds a lot like things on the South Side no? (example is 2000 after four losing seasons in five years time...)

Mark

Even with falling attendance the Cubs were still drawing more than 30,000 fans a game, that allowed them to speed up the rebuild and spend a lot more money than most rebuilding teams are able to do.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 07:55 AM)
I'm hoping for David Freese, Asdrubal Cabrera as the stop gap to Anderson, and Wieters.

No reason to not be able to sign those guys. They won't be breaking the bank.

Then finding an impact bat via trade. Whether it's moving Q or a Montas package. I also wonder if Colorado would give up their 3B prospect McMahon.

We could look at young catchers around the league and maybe grab one to sit behind Wieters until they're ready.

A few things.

Cabrera is a good idea except he will likely cost more than Alexei in terms of salary and contract. Now if Cabrera could slide over to 3B when Anderson was ready then there's no problem. Cabrera is going 30 years old so there's no reason to think he cannot get more than a one year deal.

If the Sox trade Q then who replaces him in the rotation?

Montas I would not hesitate to trade for the right player and I'm hoping the Sox look into a Montas for McMahon trade. Montas is rated #54 and McMahon #50 in the top 100. Problem is that McMahon has only played at A+, likely starts '16 at AA so he won't be ready until 2017 at the earliest. I'll take it since he would give the Sox another young 3B option to go with Michalczewski.

Freeze is a good idea and could be a great stop gap to hopefully Michalczewski or McMahon if the Sox can trade for him.

Mark

The Cubs drew 2.6 million in 2013 and 2014. 2014 attendance was up over the previous year. The White Sox have drawn that much twice in the last twenty years. They drew ONE MILLION MORE FANS then we did in 2014, in their sixth straight year of under .500 baseball. We even had a year in 2012 where we were in first place until the last two weeks of the season, and still got out drawn by 900,000 fans by a Cubs team that went 61-101.

Again, that gives them options that the White Sox don't have.

And that is my point exactly when talking about "plans". The Royals fan base was decimated, and because of that it took them WAY longer than a team like the Cubs who has a fan base that still shows up. Our fan base is much closer to the Royals in terms of being willing to see out a "plan". That is my point exactly, and I am glad you finally get it.

Mark

Since you are trying so hard to be accurate, the Cubs brought Theo in after the 2011 season, when they finished 71-91, and when they drew 3,017,966 fans. That would be an all time high for the White Sox.,

For accuracy's sake, you also might want to know that despite 5 consecutive seasons of not even winning as many games as the 2015 White Sox, the Cubs attendance never dipped below what would be top 5 in White Sox history.

Edited by Dick Allen

Mark

The Cubs didn't have Sale, Rodon, Quintana, Eaton, and Abreu either though.