White Sox looking for new 3B and C

southsider2k5

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/10/gian...medium=facebook

The White Sox are on the lookout for third base help and will also pursue upgrades behind the plate. Chicago wound up designating Conor Gillaspie, its primary third baseman from 2013 through the first half of 2015, for assignment this summer and trading him to the Angels. Tyler Flowers had a poor second half, although as MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes noted in his Offseason Outlook on the ChiSox, Flowers has worked hard to become an excellent pitch framer, so he does bring some value to the table in that increasingly important element of the game.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
Catching is such a weak position across MLB. Our catching situation shouldn't be one of our top two concerns.

I agree.

Usually, although there are exceptions, you can upgrade 2 positions for the cost of a catcher.

Sox need upgrades at 2b, SS, 3b, LF, RF. Wouldn't worry so much about catcher.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 08:32 PM)
How sure of a thing is Frazier's offense. This was the first year i heard of him. Was he steady.? How good were the good months and how bad were his bad months? Are you concerned about him feasting on junk NL pitching?

He's had somewhat of a Alex Rios thing going for him.

3rd in ROY voting 4 years ago. Not good 3 years ago. All star last year. All star this year but hit just .220 with a .664 OPS in the 2nd half.

He's bring big power, but I wouldn't know what else to expect.

Not sure what else is out there, but I'm not sure I hang my hat on Fraizer depending on the price. If you can get him without giving up guys like Q/Anderson/Adams/Fulmer/Rodon/Sale/Abreu/Eaton(throwing the last few in there so there's no confusion), then sure, I wouldn't hate it.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 08:32 PM)
How sure of a thing is Frazier's offense. This was the first year i heard of him. Was he steady.? How good were the good months and how bad were his bad months? Are you concerned about him feasting on junk NL pitching?

Frazier is definitely a 20+ HR guy. I wouldnt expect him to be a 30+ HR guy every year in AL. But he definitely brings some speed and clutch hitting to the table. Would be great to have him

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 03:46 AM)
I look for two new starters here. My predictions are Freese and Wieters.

Honestly, I want nothing to do with Freese. We need to think bigger and/or more long-term at 3B. That means a significant upgrade like Todd Frazier or acquiring a young major league ready 3B like say Javier Baez (I see that as his eventual landing spot). I don't see any reason to tread water at the position when our only minor league option is at least two years away.

I've always been a Wieters fan, but am somewhat reluctant to commit big dollars to him. I'd much rather use our financial resources towards acquiring an impact bat for the OF (Upton) and target a young catcher via trade. If the Mets lose Cespedes this offseason, I could see a Avi for Plawecki swap make a lot of sense for both clubs. Derek Norris is another guy caught in a numbers game that will likely be available this offseason.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 08:12 AM)
Frazier had a second half OPS of .664.

His home/road splits are large

He has 2 years left on his deal.

Bring on the hero-worship.

But I'll pass

Build with young talent, please, like most of the winning organizations.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you seem to be missing out on the big picture here. You constantly scream out "hero worshipping" at anyone who wants to add veteran talent to the team, but completely ignore that we have several incredibly valuable assets that lose value every season we don't compete. Trading for prospects pushes back our timeline further and is counter-productive given our core. Therefore, either you add veteran pieces and try to win now or trade away all these pieces and do a complete rebuild. "Selling high on Eaton", which I've seen you propose in multiple threads, is pretty much the worst type of move we could make unless comes with selling high on Sale, Quintana, & Abreu.

I would actually love to here you spell out a long-term plan on getting us back to the post-season rather than shooting down every idea that doesn't involve acquiring or giving playing time to a young player.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 07:28 AM)
Honestly, I want nothing to do with Freese. We need to think bigger and/or more long-term at 3B. That means a significant upgrade like Todd Frazier or acquiring a young major league ready 3B like say Javier Baez (I see that as his eventual landing spot). I don't see any reason to tread water at the position when our only minor league option is at least two years away.

I've always been a Wieters fan, but am somewhat reluctant to commit big dollars to him. I'd much rather use our financial resources towards acquiring an impact bat for the OF (Upton) and target a young catcher via trade. If the Mets lose Cespedes this offseason, I could see a Avi for Plawecki swap make a lot of sense for both clubs. Derek Norris is another guy caught in a numbers game that will likely be available this offseason.

I'm trying to be realistic this offseason. I think those are realistic options. I want to think big but I'm just not sure if we'll be able to land one of the OFers. Freese would be a decent option if we can't land an impact bat at third. Wieters I'm not sure he's going to cost a ton right now.

All Wieters needs with Boras as his agent:

1) a dearth of veteran, experienced catching talent on the market

2) at least 10-15 teams looking to upgrade that position

He will get more years and total dollars than most around here are expecting. Supply and demand. This is not Stephen Drew or Kendrys Morales we're talking about, but a talented (albeit enigmatic) catcher fairly close to his prime years.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
I'm trying to be realistic this offseason. I think those are realistic options. I want to think big but I'm just not sure if we'll be able to land one of the OFers. Freese would be a decent option if we can't land an impact bat at third. Wieters I'm not sure he's going to cost a ton right now.

I'm all for being realistic, but if Freese is one the big moves we make, we very likely won't be competing next year and might as well give the playing time to Saladino. Having said that, I'm not sure the front office agrees with me and I could them just plug a few holes with low ceiling guys like Freese and hope for internal improvement at other spots. Hopefully I'm just being pessimistic here and Hahn has grander plans. IMO, this team can compete next year if we add two big bats.