White Sox looking for new 3B and C

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 25, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
Russell & Bryant are untouchable, but you're completely over-valuing Baez if you include him they group. You do realize that GMs will occasionally exagerate their opinion or even lie to help give them leverage in negotiations? Castro is clearly the guy they want to move, everybody knows this, but he has almost no value to due to his contact and lack of performance. Theo can and will continue hype him as a significant piece, but there's a reason other GMs aren't biting. Baez is the guy he'll end up moving in a package for a front-line starter (along with Soler and/or prospects). And guess what, Theo will be ecstatic because he'll have greatly improved rotation and still have an offensive core of Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, & Russell (amongst others) to build around. I'm not sure if you're simply under-valuing Quintana or doing your best Jed Hoyer impersonation, but you are way off base on this subject and have officially bought into the Theo hype machine.

LMAO. I am one person who has never bought into the Theo hype, but he isn't trading Baez.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 25, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
If you claim Theo wouldn't trade Baez straight-up for Quintana then you definitely have.

I would think exactly the opposite. How is saying Theo wouldn't do something he should do buying his hype. I am just telling you the Cubs think he is a stud and are not going to trade him. Which you will see. They would rather overpay a free agent than give him up.

You do not want to trade w Cubs. They had a great season and are just looking to upgrade their pitching. Hahn needs to trade with a team that is more desperate to recover from a disappointing season. Boston, Detroit, Baltimore, A's, Mariners, Braves, Reds, Rockies etc. We are desperate and need to trade w another desperate team.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 06:53 PM)
So is there any possibilities from the farm that we may see within 5 years?

It's kinda sad when there were guys like Bench, Fisk, Munson and Simmons. They were household names. My how baseball has changed.

Omar Narvaez, Winston-Salem (98 games): The 23-year-old backstop proved he could keep his mind centered between both parts of his game in a strong first full season in the White Sox system. Not only did Narvaez reach base at a .352 rate in his first taste of Class A Advanced, but he also threw out 35.4 percent of would-be basestealers.

A little old for the level so to make it by age 25 he would have to be fast tracked and he still has a lot to prove but initially looking strong .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 25, 2015 -> 07:31 PM)
Omar Narvaez, Winston-Salem (98 games): The 23-year-old backstop proved he could keep his mind centered between both parts of his game in a strong first full season in the White Sox system. Not only did Narvaez reach base at a .352 rate in his first taste of Class A Advanced, but he also threw out 35.4 percent of would-be basestealers.

A little old for the level so to make it by age 25 he would have to be fast tracked and he still has a lot to prove but initially looking strong .

Carlos Perez is getting rave reviews.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 25, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
Some might, but not the one for the White Sox. Not a single elite prospect in the bunch. And of course, Starlin Castro, who has about zero trade value.

I'll bet you right here that they will trade Castro for something worthwhile. Just hope its not with the Sox. Some GM will overpay for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2015 -> 07:58 PM)
The Cubs are going to spend something like $400 million for pitching over this off season and the last one. What does that speak to?

Shh don't tell that to the theo-lovers. Whoopdedoo they sucked on purpose from like 09-14. They did nothing "the right way". They spit in the face of the integrity of the game and didn't try to win, and even worse, signed guys just to flip them at the deadline. Cool. Meanwhile, we had badass teams on paper every one of those years minus maybe '14, and did what every other team which is honorable does, tried to f***ing win. And here we sit, amazingly, with a better young core than the cubs. Amazing.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 25, 2015 -> 08:03 PM)
I'll bet you right here that they will trade Castro for something worthwhile. Just hope its not with the Sox. Some GM will overpay for him.

Castro last 143 PA .353 avg. .960 OPS. He was Trayce Thompson. Probably good enough for Theo to get something for him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Oct 25, 2015 -> 09:55 PM)
I've said for over a year now that I think Soler will wind up being the best of the Cubs prospects in the long run, if RH can pry him from the Cubs then do it. He's owed about 20 mil over the next 5 years, that's very team friendly.

What makes you think that he'll be better than Bryant, Schwarber, Russell, etc?

If anything, he seems like he'll be the worst of them all. He reminds me of Viciedo/Avi Garcia. They all have lots of raw power but no plate discipline and not willing to change their approaches to improve.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 25, 2015 -> 09:00 PM)
Shh don't tell that to the theo-lovers. Whoopdedoo they sucked on purpose from like 09-14. They did nothing "the right way". They spit in the face of the integrity of the game and didn't try to win, and even worse, signed guys just to flip them at the deadline. Cool. Meanwhile, we had badass teams on paper every one of those years minus maybe '14, and did what every other team which is honorable does, tried to f***ing win. And here we sit, amazingly, with a better young core than the cubs. Amazing.

What?

So far, from what I have seen of Baez, I am not impressed with him. His glove may be good, but his plate discipline is not. When I saw him last year he would always swing for the fences even with look strikes. I figured during this past off season, the coaches might improve his bat and shorten his swing. Guess what? They didn't. He still swings way too hard even with 2 strikes. Unless some coach can get into his head and improve his swing, his bat will be more of a liability and the Sox have way too many already.

I've said for over a year now that I think Soler will wind up being the best of the Cubs prospects in the long run, if RH can pry him from the Cubs then do it. He's owed about 20 mil over the next 5 years, that's very team friendly.

He will hit arb in two years. I'm also not sold on him being able to start healthy. I heard Bruce Levine on the score, and he actually thought soler was destined to be a DH, even more so that schwarber. This was due to a combination of awful defense and being very injury prone

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
He will hit arb in two years. I'm also not sold on him being able to start healthy. I heard Bruce Levine on the score, and he actually thought soler was destined to be a DH, even more so that schwarber. This was due to a combination of awful defense and being very injury prone

There have been a lot of media saying Schwarber isn't really a bad OF. From what I have seen, he makes Viciedo look pretty good with the glove.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 08:08 AM)
There have been a lot of media saying Schwarber isn't really a bad OF. From what I have seen, he makes Viciedo look pretty good with the glove.

My nephew who is 5 plays better outfield than Viciedo. Picks better daisies also.

It is amazing how similar Avi and Soler's numbers were last year.