MLB trade rumors mentioned Sox at potential destination for Wieters

southsider2k5

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
What does everyone think it'll take to get Norris? Please no Erik Johnson and Carlos Sanchez trade suggestions.

I'm still shocked we didn't try and involve him or Donaldson in the Shark trade last season.

Anywho, I'd say some package of EJ. I'm not sure what his value is.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 09:33 PM)
I'm still shocked we didn't try and involve him or Donaldson in the Shark trade last season.

Anywho, I'd say some package of EJ. I'm not sure what his value is.

Huh? Donaldson was already traded to the Jays when we did the Shark trade.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 04:18 AM)
Donaldson would have hit .213 with the white sox

It does seem that every position player the Sox acquire/bring up does turn to crap the past couple years. I guess the exception was Trayce. .295 in 135 plate appearances with five homers and 16 ribbies. That projects to about 20 homers and 70 RBI for a rookie, not bad. I'd definitely get rid of Avi and gamble on Trayce. If he hits that well he's as good as Avi offensively and so much better defensively.

Again, with the Sox luck he'll go 1-for-April and be swimming uphill all year.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 02:28 AM)
I like Derek Norris but why would San Diego trade him? They have locked up for another four years and catchers are hard to come by. Preller is going to try and compete again and moving Norris would only make that more difficult.

They have another MLB ready catcher who they may be willing to let play and could savea little money and add some prospects moving Norris.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 11:38 PM)
It does seem that every position player the Sox acquire/bring up does turn to crap the past couple years. I guess the exception was Trayce. .295 in 135 plate appearances with five homers and 16 ribbies. That projects to about 20 homers and 70 RBI for a rookie, not bad. I'd definitely get rid of Avi and gamble on Trayce. If he hits that well he's as good as Avi offensively and so much better defensively.

20/70 for Trayce? As much as I want that to happen, it won't. He was so bad offensively in September, perhaps because pitchers figured out his weak spots. I think, best case scenario for Thompson, he plays great defense, hits maybe .260 with 15 homers and 60 RBIs.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 02:28 AM)
I like Derek Norris but why would San Diego trade him? They have locked up for another four years and catchers are hard to come by. Preller is going to try and compete again and moving Norris would only make that more difficult.

Ya, I was of the thinking that the San Diego FO was waiting for Hedges to assume the role.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)
20/70 for Trayce? As much as I want that to happen, it won't. He was so bad offensively in September, perhaps because pitchers figured out his weak spots. I think, best case scenario for Thompson, he plays great defense, hits maybe .260 with 15 homers and 60 RBIs.

Exactly. As soon as the scouting reports come out, these guys who did not perform well offensively at the minor league level, but are outperforming at the major league level, revert back to their norms if not worse. There's no reason to expect he is going to hit better in the majors than he did in the minors. Those numbers will come down. See Gordon Beckham's career.

This was argued to death in a different thread, but Trayce's numbers after August weren't bad at all. .233/.310/.422/.732, 99 wRC+, lost of extra base hits. Anyone here would gladly take that performance over a full season. I'll continue to assert that he's earned a spot ahead of Avisail Garcia on the depth chart.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
This was argued to death in a different thread, but Trayce's numbers after August weren't bad at all. .233/.310/.422/.732, 99 wRC+, lost of extra base hits. Anyone here would gladly take that performance over a full season. I'll continue to assert that he's earned a spot ahead of Avisail Garcia on the depth chart.

He put up a .304 OBP in AAA last year.

He was really good during his call up. Maybe he clicked with Steverson, but more than likely, if Trayce played everyday, his numbers would be worse than they were in AAA.

I'd be willing to bet Adam LaRoche puts up a better OPS than Trayce next season, if Trayce was playing every day.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 09:13 AM)
He put up a .304 OBP in AAA last year.

He was really good during his call up. Maybe he clicked with Steverson, but more than likely, if Trayce played everyday, his numbers would be worse than they were in AAA.

I'd be willing to bet Adam LaRoche puts up a better OPS than Trayce next season, if Trayce was playing every day.

In his defense, he didn't take as many walks as Charlotte because they wanted him to cut down on his strikeouts. If they want him making more contact than his .OBP is definitely going to be lower.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 09:13 AM)

I would too, but Trayce is a talented defender. He can be useful - and at minimum better than Avi - without doing what LaRoche is supposed to do at the plate.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
In his defense, he didn't take as many walks as Charlotte because they wanted him to cut down on his strikeouts. If they want him making more contact than his .OBP is definitely going to be lower.

We can make excuses for a lot of things, but over 7 minor league seasons he hit .241 with a .319 OBP.

He may be the rare guy that does better in the majors than the minors, but the odds are against it.

Plawecki/Norris and Frazier are my top trade targets for CWS with Hawkins, Sanchez, Saladino, Erik Johnson, May, Nieto, Beck, and Coats all being available to deal (Montas, Fulmer, Rodon, Thompson untouchable). As much as I would love Weiters on the South Side, his price isn't right and ATL will almost surely lock him up. Flowers isn't the answer and the hopefully contending Sox have no answer on the farm. A young C like Plawecki or Norris would be the answer for CWS. I could see 2-3 (Erik Johnson, Engel, Sanchez) prospects getting these deals done. Todd Frazier is a pipe dream that CWS has virtually no shot with (I'd offer Adams, Michalczewski, Hawkins, Beck for). Danks and LaRoche both off books. My dream 2017 WS Champion CWS:

C: Plawecki, AJ

1B: Abreu

2B: Johnson

3B: Frazier

SS: Anderson, Ramirez (diminished role)

OF: Eaton, Melky, Avi, Thompson

Rotation: Sale, Montas, Quintana, Fulmer, Rodon

Pen': Robertson, Duke, Jones, Webb, Putnam, Albers, Danish, Jennings

Lineup: Eaton, Anderson, Melky, Abreu, Frazier, Avi, Thompson, Plawecki, Johnson