Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 8, 2016 -> 10:35 PM)
With all the movement this week on the OF front I wouldn't be surprised if teams had an idea where some of the big names may be signing and that's why you are starting to see teams move on to other players. I wouldn't be suprised to hear something concrete on YO this weekend or early next week. It seems like the market has played into our hands now is the time RH has to close.

That is probably what's happening. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, though.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
"MLB hot stove: Los Angeles Angels 'still not really involved' with Yoenis Cespedes, report says"

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2016/01/m...lly_involv.html

Some potentially good news for Sox fans on cold, dreary Saturday morning.

Saw that. Wish they'd sign him already :lol:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
"MLB hot stove: Los Angeles Angels 'still not really involved' with Yoenis Cespedes, report says"

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/2016/01/m...lly_involv.html

Some potentially good news for Sox fans on cold, dreary Saturday morning.

I feel the levee has to bust soon. There has been tons of movement this week and a lot of teams are either getting information which leads them to believe they are out on certain people or they themselves have said they are out on a certain player. Now this could be posturing and what not, but after the ardgeaous process of this market where handfuls of teams have been in on these players. But I believe the market is finally defining itself and teams have an idea where each guy may land. By this time next week I would be shocked if Cespy hasn't signed.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
What does not really mean exactly?

They checked in but were discouraged by the asking price? Sounds like hedging bets to cover if they do sign a bigger name.

I've been suspecting they might be out on Cespedes/Upton/Gordon due to the Angels high payroll. If the Angels signed Cespedes or Upton, it would push the Angels payroll to the edge of the luxury tax threshold which wouldn't allow them any room for mid-season acquisitions without potentially going over. They have gone over in the last but the Angels seem bent on staying under to avoid the tax penalty.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
Saw that. Wish they'd sign him already :lol:

Seriously, somebody blink already! :D

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
I feel the levee has to bust soon. There has been tons of movement this week and a lot of teams are either getting information which leads them to believe they are out on certain people or they themselves have said they are out on a certain player. Now this could be posturing and what not, but after the ardgeaous process of this market where handfuls of teams have been in on these players. But I believe the market is finally defining itself and teams have an idea where each guy may land. By this time next week I would be shocked if Cespy hasn't signed.

Agreed, this has to burst soon. I think Hahn has a good idea of what teams are looking for and how much they are willing to spend. If a fan such as myself can dig up payroll's for teams, imagine how much more info Hahn has after having discussions with other GM's. I absolutely trust Hahn to get the upgrade the Sox need.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 12:09 PM)
FWIW: This ESPN writer sees Sox getting Fowler.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14531913...-larry-reynolds

"Sources told ESPN's Jim Bowden that the 28-year-old Upton has been offered low-ball, short-term offers from both the Chicago White Sox and the Los Angeles Angels."

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 05:14 PM)
"Sources told ESPN's Jim Bowden that the 28-year-old Upton has been offered low-ball, short-term offers from both the Chicago White Sox and the Los Angeles Angels."

The more time goes by, the more I believe the Sox won't go more than 3 years on anyone

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
The more time goes by, the more I believe the Sox won't go more than 3 years on anyone

Abreu is under contract for 4 more seasons. Give Cespedes a 4-year offer so he can play with his buddy for the remainder of his buddy's contract. Give him 4 years.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 06:16 PM)
The linked article does not say that. But it does say the sox low balled Upton on a short term deal.

I saw the other article yesterday and it was based on no facts or rumors and just where each would fit the best

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
I saw the other article yesterday and it was based on no facts or rumors and just where each would fit the best

It also says we would lose our 2nd round pick instead of the comp pick, hard to take these opinion pieces seriously when they can't even get the facts straight.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jan 9, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
Like I said before, enjoy watching a 4th place team.

So you are for not negotiating. Just give them what they want or move along. You must not be married or have a girlfriend.

There are so many posts that don't seem to understand even the simplest form of negotiation. Why should Hahn present his best offer if he doesn't have to? Why should he offer 4 years if he may be able to sign him to 3?

You might think it mattered a lot in 3 years when the supposed greatest free agent class ever is out there and the Sox are sitting on the sidelines because they had to have Cespedes signed on January 9th instead of January 20th and therefore had to give him another year. If the Sox need to go 4 to get him signed, they might go 4, but until it comes time for him to choose a team, they should keep their offer at something they can sweeten if necessary.

Some are fretting the price will come down and there will be more competition, The one thing to worry more about is throw your best offer out there now and teams will have time to better it. Look at Baltimore with Davis.

Ya, I don't understand the gloom and doom posts. The outfield market is flooded with talent and the Sox are in the thick of it all. Hahn will upgrade the outfield, fans just need to be patient and keep their knickers from twisting. Just because nothing is done yet does not mean something won't be done. Good grief.