Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Well, I disagree that they have done a good job. They have won 63, 72 and 75 games in 3 years. With big upgrades at 3b and possibly at 2b, and possible downgrade at rotation, we are looking at 78-79 wins. In 2 years, when all of these contracts expire, we have to hope that all:

Tim Anderson

Trey M

Are in the big leagues and high level producers immediately while we win a lottery ticket with :

Jacob May

Adam Engel

Courtney Hawkins

Maybe Adolfo will be a beast and be close to majors in 2 years.

Otherwise you are looking at another round of gauge and plug with FA/trades on the minor league front.

In four years, the core of Sale/Q/Abreu/Eaton basically falls apart. In two years you are expecting all of our minor league work to pan out. That is doubtful. The best contribution we may see is if Sale/Q/Rodon find themselves supplemented by budding superstars Adams/Fullmer/Danish for one last run.

This isn't a "well what's the point of even playing the games!" point. Its just if you really valued having a winner with your current core, and you do not want to give up future competitiveness, then paying the large sum for a player like cespedes is necessary. Otherwise, you will hit a ceiling from the teams that kill us in player development.

Shark led the league in runs given up and hits allowed. Johnson is going to have to be pretty bad to be a downgrade. It could happen, but Shark, despite his WAR figure, was awful last year, and a decent portion of the defense they say killed him, was his defense. He was a terrible fielding pitcher last year. One of the worst.

As for all the prospects have to be good, c'mon man. There will be other players acquired. There is a total turnover of position players between now and the deadline in 2013, and the Sox minor leaguers hitters haven't raided the roster yet guys like Abreu and Eaton and Frazier are around. That can continue. A lot of money coming off next year, and if you are willing to pick up money, players in trades don't cost as much as usual. It would make things easier if some of the prospects actually became ballplayers, but it's not an absolute they have to or else.

Edited by Dick Allen

Something weird is up, IMO.

The Sox have been cold calling people (not just fans) yesterday & today asking them if they plan to attend Sox games this year. I could be wrong but that doesn't seem like a normal thing to do.

MLB Network keeps bringing up the Sox name when talking about Cespedes & today, Nightengale reported in his journal thing that the Sox had been in on Upton before he signed with the Tigers.

Most teams are throwing low year offers at this point. At some point soon, a team may offer 4-5 years & he'll probably take it.

When Cespedes signs his contract it will be a terrible contract. The White Sox are not getting him on the cheap or for some OMG what a steal type deal. If that deal is on the table other teams will get involved as he has some value at that point and everyone can use value.

My issue is that the White Sox have some great bargains in Abreu, Quintana and Sale.

As this season looks right now the great contracts will be wasted for another year.

One bad contract will not kill them but they once again seem to be tentative in pulling the trigger. Does Cespedas add the wins needed... potentially, who knows, but you don't win awards for having the best contracts in baseball. Fowler, Jackson, Pearce all add some value but at this time the White Sox are looking to waste another year of the cost controlled players they so cherish.

They either take on a bad contract or remain where they are and watch the circus that is Avi Garcia mindlessly running around the outfield and on the bases.

They chose not to rebuild so at some point this year or next they need to sign some talent.

The cost of winning keeps going up .

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)

The Sox have been cold calling people (not just fans) yesterday & today asking them if they plan to attend Sox games this year. I could be wrong but that doesn't seem like a normal thing to do.

MLB Network keeps bringing up the Sox name when talking about Cespedes & today, Nightengale reported in his journal thing that the Sox had been in on Upton before he signed with the Tigers.

Most teams are throwing low year offers at this point. At some point soon, a team may offer 4-5 years & he'll probably take it.

I think it's due to the pressure being applied from the sign Cespedes twitter account! :P

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)

They have done this for years.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)

I'm hoping Hahn strikes soon and gets it done. If they sign Cespedes, all they need to do is look at fan reactions. It would do wonders for the fanbase.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
Shark led the league in runs given up and hits allowed. Johnson is going to have to be pretty bad to be a downgrade. It could happen, but Shark, despite his WAR figure, was awful last year, and a decent portion of the defense they say killed him, was his defense. He was a terrible fielding pitcher last year. One of the worst.

As for all the prospects have to be good, c'mon man. There will be other players acquired. There is a total turnover of position players between now and the deadline in 2013, and the Sox minor leaguers hitters haven't raided the roster yet guys like Abreu and Eaton and Frazier are around. That can continue. A lot of money coming off next year, and if you are willing to pick up money, players in trades don't cost as much as usual. It would make things easier if some of the prospects actually became ballplayers, but it's not an absolute they have to or else.

While other players may well be acquired, that they will either a) be in the big leagues and producing in the next 2 years or b) be the all-star level dynamic player we need is going to be difficult. It also assumes that we can rely on the same production and health from our core.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 07:57 PM)

Nightengale's most recent article didn't list the Sox as one of the teams most interested in Upton

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
When Cespedes signs his contract it will be a terrible contract. The White Sox are not getting him on the cheap or for some OMG what a steal type deal. If that deal is on the table other teams will get involved as he has some value at that point and everyone can use value.

My issue is that the White Sox have some great bargains in Abreu, Quintana and Sale.

As this season looks right now the great contracts will be wasted for another year.

One bad contract will not kill them but they once again seem to be tentative in pulling the trigger. Does Cespedas add the wins needed... potentially, who knows, but you don't win awards for having the best contracts in baseball. Fowler, Jackson, Pearce all add some value but at this time the White Sox are looking to waste another year of the cost controlled players they so cherish.

They either take on a bad contract or remain where they are and watch the circus that is Avi Garcia mindlessly running around the outfield and on the bases.

They chose not to rebuild so at some point this year or next they need to sign some talent.

The cost of winning keeps going.

There definitely will be people on this board and off who say Cespedes is a must, who, if Cespedes does become a White Sox will eventually complain about the contract. It's not my money, spend, spend, spend. Of the big 3, Cespedes was my 3rd choice, definitely coming off an outlier year during a contract. Supposedly Beane didn't like him as a player, Boston was happy to get rid of him. He basically carried the Mets to the WS but they only want him back at a cheap rate. He would be an upgrade, and who knows, my handle was known as trouble and a malcontent when he came to the White Sox, maybe he gets with Abreu and that keeps him motivated. He is the best out there now, but if they don't get him and get Fowler or Jackson instead, they still should be an improved team. Any kind of bounce back from LaRoche and they really could be cooking with gas.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
Nightengale's most recent article didn't list the Sox as one of the teams most interested in Upton

https://t.co/UiiihkzkNJ

This article sure makes it sound like they were.

"Upton also was pursued by the Chicago White Sox, Texas Rangers and Houston Astros, but those teams preferred signing him to a short-term deal."

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
https://t.co/UiiihkzkNJ

This article sure makes it sound like they were.

"Upton also was pursued by the Chicago White Sox, Texas Rangers and Houston Astros, but those teams preferred signing him to a short-term deal."

Look at the article I posted right above yours.

Those that may complain about the contract are not the problem. After all, it was not their front office philosophy that mandated filling in all holes with FA/trades in a bid to be immediately competitive. But when that is your strategy, we can have opinions on how to best do that.

Mainly because its infuriating to drive 3/4 way to a place and then say "Wellp, that's pretty far, let's tucker in for the night, I'm sure the festival will be there tomorrow"

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
Am I absolutely lost at this point. There is some weird stuff going on in the White Sox media right now. I will say that.

Care to elaborate, or is it the same twitter stuff referenced regarding the Sox game attendance over the past few pages of this thread?

Would be hilarious if Jerry was influenced by this new craze of "My veteran grandfather turned 90 today, let's get him 100,000 likes to show him our appreciation!"

"If 1000 sox fans like Dan Hayes post on Cespedes then we can sign him"

Steve Adams also responded to a question about the Sox signing both Fowler & Desmond (Obviously very unlikely on many fronts):

"On paper it makes sense, but I don't envision the Sox punting two draft picks at this stage. If both guys were going to take disappointing contracts, maybe, but I don't find that likely. Sox are the best fit on the board for Desmond at this point, though."