Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
If it's a Scherzer-type deal with a lot of deferred money as rumored, then it's actually not that close to it.

That offer would have to be to defer $50M (1/2 the contract value) through 2028, interest free, if it's like the Sherzer deal. I really don't think they offered him 5 years at $10M AAV and deferred the rest.

I think the writing is on the walls at this point. Simply put, the White Sox aren't getting Cespedes.

This would be a very good time to come to terms with that & hope they find a way to improve the OF & maybe the back end of the rotation.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
I think the writing is on the walls at this point. Simply put, the White Sox aren't getting Cespedes.

This would be a very good time to come to terms with that & hope they find a way to improve the OF & maybe the back end of the rotation.

i think we as fans would be happy with that, but would the sox higher echelon would be willing to do that????

Too late.

They already committed to the contention now path with Robertson and the trades for Shark, Lawrie and Frazier.

Backing off now when they're pretty close to being a contender would be terrible.

[/quoteff

I agree totally! 2016-2017 window.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
That offer would have to be to defer $50M (1/2 the contract value) through 2028, interest free, if it's like the Sherzer deal. I really don't think they offered him 5 years at $10M AAV and deferred the rest.

It obviously wouldn't be near the amount deferred each year as the Scherzer contract as the total contract is less than half of Scherzer's. Even if they were to defer $20-$25 million and pay it out over ten years at the end of the contract that significantly lowers the present day value when factoring in inflation.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 07:43 AM)
i think we as fans would be happy with that, but would the sox higher echelon would be willing to do that????

Right now, all we can hope for is an upgrade in the OF & maybe something else.

Hard to feel optimistic about them making any other moves but who knows, Hahn could be working on something else as we speak.

I get caught up in the Cespedes hype throughout the past month & get very irritated about it this week. Overall, it is what it is. There's a reason no team is willing to give him a longterm deal.

Yes, the report is that the Nats have a 5 year offer out to him worth $20-22M per year but I think if that were the case, he would have signed yesterday.

This entire process has been a s*** show by Cespedes' camp. Nothing the Sox can do, except get stupid & offer him 5-6 years at way too high of a rate.

This team is right on the cusp of being "good enough", a move like Fowler & a SP, etc would still get them there, IMO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
Why is NO team apparently offering him that contract? Do you know something no one else knows?

I was going to answer the first question, but then I saw the unnecessary snarky second question, and decided you are not worth the time.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
He lists Avi as our second best trade chip after Quintana. Seriously.

Seth Gruen is on Kaplan's show all the time. He's a huge Cubs fan who fawns over every Cub player. Considering he worked for the Sun Times, it should have been embarrassing, but you have to love doom and gloom articles when rosters aren't even set.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
You are also completely misrepresenting the situation. The White Sox IN THIS CASE (and in the case of an older Gordon) have made a three year line in the sand, because that is what they feel is right, for whatever reason that is (age of player, history of player, budgetary considerations, maybe a combination of all of those). If the team thinks he is going to be Adam Dunn in four years, they shouldn't offer the guy 5 years just because one other team is. History will bear out if it is the right move or not. This could be a Juan Gonzalez situation where we thank god for the next five years we didn't give Cespedes that deal.

And just for realities sake, just last winter, the Sox signed David Robertson to a 4 year deal. Jose Abreu was a 6 year deal the winter before without every having seen a pitch in the United States. Both as free agents. That also doesn't count the long term deals given to internal players such as Adam Eaton (5 years), Chris Sale (6 years), Jose Quintana (6 years), and many more prior to those.

I'm obviously not saying the Sox have never offered a contract longer than three years, for heavens sake. I'm merely pointing out that this line in the sand they've drawn for the available premium outfield talent in this year's free agent season does not appear to be competitive, given what the other outfielders have received. And yes, it could turn out to be a mistake to sign him that long. He could tank as others have. He could also end up being worth every penny, as others have. It's the risk you take every time you go through this. All I know is we have two big holes in the outfield from both an offensive and defensive point of view, and this guy Cespedes seems to be the best option available to address one of those holes. If we were in a rebuild, I'd say no, don't try and bring Cespedes in. But we are not, we are trying to compete, and therefore I think it behooves us to bring this guy into the fold. I don't see a better option at the moment.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
I respectfully disagree. I think he is worth that contract, given the current market conditions. He brings power, defense and speed to this team, which the last time I looked, we were running short on. And at age 30, where a five year contract would end before he turns 35, I think we could expect the kind of production throughout the term of the contract to justify it. That's just my opinion.

This is the key difference. The Sox obviously disagree that he is worth it. I would agree mostly due to age and inconsistent career.

I respect your opinion, just disagree with it.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 05:57 AM)
With all the stuff coming out wondering if Cespedes would be a clubhouse cancer?

What stuff ? Terry Collins has nothing but good things to say about him. Granted he's biased because Cespedes kicked ass for the Mets but he says his game preparation is great. Remember the thread about Abreu ? There was backlash against him too. Maybe not personality stuff but about his bat speed .

I keep seeing all this stuff about Cespedes 2013 and 2014 and OMG what if he hit's like that again. Those years would only make him the 2nd best run producer on the Sox .People keep citing his OBP like he's a damn leadoff hitter. The guy is a clean up hitter . His main job is to clean up the bases of runners. 2013 was his 2nd year in the league . Ever heard of a sophomore slump ? Even Abreu didn't hit as well his 2nd year.

And I'll take his 2014 too. With RISP .309 BA, .356 OBP , .522 SLG , .879 OPS 100 RBI's . That's bad all of a sudden ?

For the last 2 years he's had more value than Abreu . Yet I continue to see how Cespedes isn't all that good. The Sox still don't have one player who can put up both good offensive and defensive numbers. Not a single one. Yet Cespedes keeps getting bad mouthed. Maybe it's because he's supposed to be humble that he got such a wonderful opportunity to play in the US after being in Cuba . Be like Jose Abreu. Say all the right things. Instead he's a little flamboyant and he's getting s*** for it.

I know we are all leery after so many FA failures but Cespedes is a horse of a different color . There's no way he won't produce. He goes out of his way to prepare to be great. Yes he shouldn't smoke and shouldn't play as much golf as he does. As he ages that stuff will catch up to him. But who can really blame him for living life on his own terms ? He's enjoying his wealth and freedom. Those just aren't red flags to me .

this is an excellent post with several good statements i will use your post to respond.

Right now, all we can hope for is an upgrade in the OF & maybe something else.

i think many posters feel the same way esp if they knew or suspected any FA's were asking for the moon.

Hard to feel optimistic about them making any other moves but who knows, Hahn could be working on something else as we speak.

all too true, and am with you on hoping.

I get caught up in the Cespedes hype throughout the past month & get very irritated about it this week. Overall, it is what it is. There's a reason no team is willing to give him a longterm deal.

i too agree, but for some reason i never like the idea of loosing a pick nor cespy.... i was always looking at the 2nd tier of'ers. and maybe teams need to make a salary dump.

Yes, the report is that the Nats have a 5 year offer out to him worth $20-22M per year but I think if that were the case, he would have signed yesterday.

i agree, and am suspecting a deferred kind of contract.

This entire process has been a s*** show by Cespedes' camp. Nothing the Sox can do, except get stupid & offer him 5-6 years at way too high of a rate.

i think no one can blame the sox FO for what they have done.

This team is right on the cusp of being "good enough", a move like Fowler & a SP, etc would still get them there, IMO.

same here, except i would even go with jackson and a sp..... i can deal with saladino glove at SS and laroche. at dh.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
This is the key difference. The Sox obviously disagree that he is worth it. I would agree mostly due to age and inconsistent career.

I respect your opinion, just disagree with it.

I would also guess the work ethic stories also go somewhere towards projecting how soon and severe his eventual decline will be coming.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Seth Gruen is on Kaplan's show all the time. He's a huge Cubs fan who fawns over every Cub player. Considering he worked for the Sun Times, it should have been embarrassing, but you have to love doom and gloom articles when rosters aren't even set.

This is exactly why I stopped listening to WSCR. Every time I turned on that station they were crapping all over the Sox. Sox just need to get a few more players to strengthen this team and hopefully do well in 2016!

vTMFZ6Q.png

Someone did a breakdown of all the "impact bats" signed in FA since 2010. Yellow means they were traded during the course of the contract. Green means they lived up to the contract. Looks like he combined all of Cruz's contracts together. Doesn't look good outside of a few.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD

Hearing Sox are out on Yo and turning attention to Desmond, I wish I loved anything as much as the White Sox love signing Nats cast offs

This guy said they signed him a few weeks ago. He knows nothing...Jon Snow

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)
vTMFZ6Q.png

Someone did a breakdown of all the "impact bats" signed in FA since 2010. Yellow means they were traded during the course of the contract. Green means they lived up to the contract. Looks like he combined all of Cruz's contracts together. Doesn't look good outside of a few.

Yeah, that is not a promising list.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
"White Sox Likely Next to Undergo Full-Blown Fire Sale" via http://TeamStre.am by Bleacher Report

http://teamstre.am/1VdCgTI

This article made me laugh. I guess if the Sox tank it's possible, but you don't go out and trade for Frazier and hold your top assets if you're thinking about blowing the whole thing up.