Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
ok lets think of this, this way. think of the big plan. at this point, what will be the sox alternative motive????

to appear to do something, why, soxfest and to make an appeal to the fans on "look we tried, it was too much, we do not have the budget for that kind of money". also look at where the salary is today.... at this moment.

this is just like the sox plus a little more coy about doing this than the teams of the 90.s.... i am waiting for the org to throw out a couple of reclamation projects, one in the OF and the other as a SP.

all this, at this time if nothing else is done, is smoke, to make it look as they were trying to do something.

but i as a die-hard have to live with it, as a white sox fan.

IMHO the Sox have to do something by SoxFest! I look for a busy week with at least a couple of transactions. I may be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time but. they still need to do something!!

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
Dick, If the opportunity presents itself, what will you be asking?

I would ask about the 3 year plan and what effect last year's disaster had on it? And if the moves division rivals made changes their focus at all? But respectfully. Soxfest is fun but it also is fluff. The people who ask questions or get up to the mic and blast the people on the stage really ruins it for everyone. It isn't the Jerry Springer Show. I would venture to guess Hahn is just as disappointed as anyone he didn't land one of these guys.

But there is always someone who will say the Sox are cheap , and at the same time question why he has to buy a lower deck seat to sit in the lower deck.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
IMHO the Sox have to do something by SoxFest! I look for a busy week with at least a couple of transactions. I may be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time but. they still need to do something!!

I think they will do something as well. The guys out there shouldn't take a lot of time. The more the players wait, the fewer openings, and the lower the offers at this point.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
I think they will do something as well. The guys out there shouldn't take a lot of time. The more the players wait, the fewer openings, and the lower the offers at this point.

Agreed. I think they will do something to improve the lineup. However, I also think no matter what it is, some fans at Soxfest will use it as they were too cheap to sign Cespedes.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
Agreed. I think they will do something to improve the lineup. However, I also think no matter what it is, some fans at Soxfest will use it as they were too cheap to sign Cespedes.

I fully expect Soxfest to be cringeworthy due to hecklers/angry fans when Hahn/FO members are around.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
I think that this thread, under standard viewing options, is now at page 400.

Mine shows 120 pages. I'm not sure why. I must have changed something or my browser did. I think the 6000 posts is the goal.

I honestly thought there would be more of a backlash after he signed elsewhere. I guess either people were tired of it or realized that the 27.5 million balloon payment (if he took the opt out) was just crazy.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
I fully expect Soxfest to be cringeworthy due to hecklers/angry fans when Hahn/FO members are around.

If I were RH, I would be at a different session than KW. Most people still seem to blame KW when things don't go the way they want.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
I would ask about the 3 year plan and what effect last year's disaster had on it? And if the moves division rivals made changes their focus at all? But respectfully. Soxfest is fun but it also is fluff. The people who ask questions or get up to the mic and blast the people on the stage really ruins it for everyone. It isn't the Jerry Springer Show. I would venture to guess Hahn is just as disappointed as anyone he didn't land one of these guys.

But there is always someone who will say the Sox are cheap , and at the same time question why he has to buy a lower deck seat to sit in the lower deck.

I, for one, will be looking for your feedback from some of those sessions. Thanks!

Edited by Saufley

Who knows what went down.

These media-driven notions that the Nats offer of 5/100ish was "higher" are silly....The Mets' 3/75 with an opt out is a much better offer.

The Sox FO just doesn't execute very well, however. Seem to lack a coherent strategy and the ability to pull the trigger.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)

These media-driven notions that the Nats offer of 5/100ish was "higher" are silly....The Mets' 3/75 with an opt out is a much better offer.

The Sox FO just doesn't execute very well, however. Seem to lack a coherent strategy and the ability to pull the trigger.

Or they weren't ever paying him $27 million in year 1 which is the most likely scenario

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)

The mets offer was not significantly better. Im not really good at math but 100 is more than 75. At the end of the mets deal he will be 33. It is not known how he will be doing in his mid-30s. Once you have the guaranteed money its there.

He went back to the mets because he wanted to all along. It has the benefit of possibly being good if he performs well.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
The mets offer was not significantly better. Im not really goog at math but 100 is more than 75. At the end of the mets dwal he will be 33. It is not known how he will be doinb in his mid-30s. Once you have the guaranteed money its there.

He went back to the mets because he wanted to all along. It has the benefit of possibly being good if he performs well.

If you do a few fractions, 75/3 > 120/5.

He's also betting on himself. It's entirely possible that the deal he signed will make him $50 million more in the next 5 years than he would have made on a 6 figure deal from the Nats. Another MVP level season next year plus that 1 year opt out plus no other big name OFs on the market and there's a potentially huge deal there.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
I think the Nat's offer shows how badly Cespedes wanted to be back with the Mets. $35M left on the table.

I partially agree with that but I also think he was expecting a deal around $150 mil and no team was coming close to that. If he has another great season in NY, he might be able to opt out and snatch a 5 yr/$125 mil deal somewhere which in the long run would give him his 6/150 asking price.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 40m40 minutes ago

Nats' offer to cespedes reached $110M and included an opt-out, I hear. Did contain significant deferrals, tho.

Wow, maybe im just too conservative but how do you pass up that deal for 3/75? I realize its more AAVand there is the opt out but 110 guaranteed. He must have really liked the Mets or his agent convinced him he can do better with next year's FA class.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
I partially agree with that but I also think he was expecting a deal around $150 mil and no team was coming close to that. If he has another great season in NY, he might be able to opt out and snatch a 5 yr/$125 mil deal somewhere which in the long run would give him his 6/150 asking price.

Good points. Cespedes gets the best of both worlds in that if mashes again he can get his big payday next winter but if he regresses he has the financial security of two more years with the Mets by not opting out after '16. Win win scenario for Cespedes.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 08:05 AM)
Broncos defense has to go even more beastmode than they did yesterday against New England, and I dont really see how that is possible. Plus, Cam isnt a sitting duck in the pocket like Brady is, I really cant see any scenario that the Broncos win this game

As a 30 year old coming off an almost 7 WAR season he settles for 3 years $75 million. If he opts out next year after being paid $27.5 million, can he get another 3 year $75 million contract as a 31 year old if he puts up a 3 WAR season?

That deferral must have been huge.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
Wow, maybe im just too conservative but how do you pass up that deal for 3/75? I realize its more AAVand there is the opt out but 110 guaranteed. He must have really liked the Mets or his agent convinced him he can do better with next year's FA class.

His agent could be banking on big spenders like the Yanks and Dodgers getting into the mix as well. I tknow the Yanks have salary coming off the books after '16 and if the Dodgers can move salaries like Ethier and/or Crawford, they could be in there as well. Maybe even Boston after Papi retires or if they can move one of Panda or Ramirez. The Angels will have CJ Wilson's 20M salary coming off the books after '16 as well.

That's four teams known to be big spenders that weren't in the mix for Cespedes. Next year should be a much different story.