Who will the next TV PBP be to split duties with Hawk?

professa

Shortly after the season we all know the Sox announced Hawk would only be doing road games next year, and someone else would be taking over to do the home games. Unless I'm missing something, I'm kinda surprised that this hasn't been announced yet. Any guesses on who they may be looking at?

My first guess would be Swirsky but not sure how that would work with his schedule as the Bulls will most likely be in the playoffs, and he would be doing the radio PBP for them. Really do not want Stone to be the PBP, I think he is far better as a color guy. I think hiring someone from outside the organization, a fresh face with more modern/up to date take on the game and knowledge of advanced stats would be kinda cool. I think another requirement should be someone who can pick Stoney's brain a bit more. I think Swirsky did a great job with that when he'd fill in last season. Any thoughts?

GEEEEZ I'd hate to see Swirsky in there. No excitement in his voice when great things happen. Guy sounds like a friggin wet noodle. At the same time, I'd like to hear someone announce the game, and make professional comments and analogies that relate to what is going on at hand, instead of using a ghastly amount of his announcing air time in asking Stone more questions than a 10 year old kid on meth asking his parents on a vacation car ride, "Are we there yet?" "When are we gonna be there?" Half of his announcing was "Geez Steve, what would you do in this situation? Why does this person do so an so in this situation? etc etc etc. If you are announcing baseball, then act like you know something about the game, instead of spending most if the time sounding like someone who came over from another country, and was just introduced to the game of baseball for the very first time. Swirsky? PASS! Multiplied by 30. So.. Steve! What do you think? What would you do if I was made the announcer? How would you handle the situation? Have you ever run into a problem like me before. Can you explain the ruling to me what our roles would be if I was in the booth with you? Sorry to bug you with these questions,,,,but I have no other choice, because I am friggin clueless up the wazooooo.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:00 AM)
GEEEEZ I'd hate to see Swirsky in there. No excitement in his voice when great things happen. Guy sounds like a friggin wet noodle. At the same time, I'd like to hear someone announce the game, and make professional comments and analogies that relate to what is going on at hand, instead of using a ghastly amount of his announcing air time in asking Stone more questions than a 10 year old kid on meth asking his parents on a vacation car ride, "Are we there yet?" "When are we gonna be there?" Half of his announcing was "Geez Steve, what would you do in this situation? Why does this person do so an so in this situation? etc etc etc. If you are announcing baseball, then act like you know something about the game, instead of spending most if the time sounding like someone who came over from another country, and was just introduced to the game of baseball for the very first time. Swirsky? PASS! Multiplied by 30. So.. Steve! What do you think? What would you do if I was made the announcer? How would you handle the situation? Have you ever run into a problem like me before. Can you explain the ruling to me what our roles would be if I was in the booth with you? Sorry to bug you with these questions,,,,but I have no other choice, because I am friggin clueless up the wazooooo.

This post sums up my feelings on the subject quite well.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 07:45 AM)
Swirsk was the biggest Cubs fanboy around back in the 80s when he worked on WGN radio. Funny how things change.

Wayne Larrivee used to call Bulls and Bears games, now he calls packers games. A job is a job

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 08:24 AM)
Steve Stone hasn't actually renewed yet, as far as I know. I wonder if it's a given he's coming back. I would have thought that would have been announced by now, unless they'll unveil the new guy & the news Stoney will be returning all at the same time.

The reduced schedule with Hawk wasn't officially announced either. I think everything is coming at once. It would seem Stone would come back or it probably would have been announced he was moving to another team, but stranger things have happened.

QUOTE (professa @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 11:56 PM)
Shortly after the season we all know the Sox announced Hawk would only be doing road games next year, and someone else would be taking over to do the home games. Unless I'm missing something, I'm kinda surprised that this hasn't been announced yet. Any guesses on who they may be looking at?

The list of candidates has been put out there. Like mentioned, probably going to be a year of musical chairs.

I can't tell you exactly who has applied since I was never given that information but I can tell you I was told around 50 qualified candidates applied and they actually started in person interviews with some of them back in October.

The last I was told was that they (meaning the White Sox) were narrowing down the initial list and they were working at lining up more interviews with those they were interesting in meeting.

Just a guess on my part but I think they'll name someone right after the holidays, have to give that person time to start preparing for spring training.

And remember JR has the final say on if the selection go on the air, let's just say he's got 51% of the vote when it comes to announcers.

Mark

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 11:03 AM)
I just hope it's not the guy whose last name rhymes with ONGEY or the guy that Bernstein keeps pushing on the radio. I think Bernstein Rips Hawk so much because he wants the job to go to some former intern who Bernstein likes a lot.

Rongey/Stone would be a much better broadcast than Hawk/Stone actually

I hope Brian Barnhart applied. He's the Fighting Illini play by play guy for both football and basketball. Legit my favorite play by play guy in all of sports.

He was the Angels play by play guy before wanting to return home to Champaign. I imagine this schedule would work for him.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood