Gordon or Cespedes?

Jose Abreu

Gordon or Cespedes?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer us to sign Gordon or Cespedes?

• Alex Gordon
    • Yoenis Cespedes

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 things make Cespedes more attractive to me than Gordon:

1) He's younger and fits better with the age of the core of the team that has been assembled.

2) He doesn't cost a comp pick.

3) He seems to be the more likely of the two to be able to transition to RF.

4) He can legitimately bat cleanup, Gordon can't.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 06:54 PM)
Cant believe that any team considering signing Alvarez to dh wouldnt take Laroche first. He can still play a solid 1b and is a vet with one poor season on his record. Id rather trade for Laroche, what's the thinking on that around the league i wonder. I guess right now nobody wants either guy, and that silence speaks volumes.

I'd prefer Gordon but would be thrilled to add Cespedes assuming the price isn't asinine. Pretty pumped that it appears well get one of the two.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 07:16 PM)
Five years of Gordon seems like a good bet for buyer's remorse by year three.

But I do wonder why nobody seems to want to hold on to Cespedes.

Four teams in four seasons?

What's the catch? Where's the trap door?

Now, one of those teams is Oakland and they're always moving people. The Mets are a bit of a head scratcher to me. There are some in the New York media who believe letting him walk could be a long term mistake.

Edited by AustinIllini

The Mets reasons are 100% financial crippling in the course of the next 2-3 seasons because of Wilpon/Madoff, payments in that case of $30 million per year in the settlement are liabilities and a huge loan ($880 million) with balloon payments due in two years (debt was kicked forward into future, 2018-19)...not to mention they sold off X percentage of the ballclub to raise additional funds but those new partial owners have the rights to turn around and resell them back to the ownership group for the same price +3% interest per year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 29, 2015 -> 08:00 PM)
Somebody will pay Cespedes a handsome fee, though, and will be better for it. According to FanGraphs' calculations, Cespedes was worth $53.9 million in 2015 alone. His Steamer projection has him being worth approximately $24.9 million in 2016, but 3.1 fWAR seems like it is a conservative projection considering his seven-win upside. Yet he sits on the sidelines watching others snatch up huge deals.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2015/12/2...yoenis-cespedes

Why does nobody (seemingly) want Yoenis Cespedes?

He's been my guy for awhile now.

I would take Gordon at $72.5/4 over Cespedes at $125-135 and 6...just because it's hard to believe they would nearly double their biggest contract ever. If the Cespedes numbers are closer to $110 and Gordon to $85 million, then the pendulum shifts back in the other direction.

That said, they were supposedly willing to do it for Tanaka, but Cespedes isn't 26 and isn't quite the equivalent of a frontline ace despite the way he performed for the Mets.

If the money and years were equal, give me Cespedes. But if the option is Gordon at 4/80 or Cespedes at 6/125 give me Gordon all day. I don't see a ton of difference between them. I guess time will tell once they both sign on the dotted line but I have a feeling Gordon will be the better value to his respective team.

I lean towards Gordon. The Sox need the lefty bat, the on base skills, the OF defense, that Gordon can bring. Plus, at a reduced cost, compared to Cespedes. The Sox need more bats like Gordon, who can work counts, make contact, and provide balance to the RH heavy lineup. Adding Gordon would be like adding a lefty version of Todd Frazier to the OF-without the power-above average defense, and solid all around, professional baseball player.

When Gordon was in the minors and called up, this guy was supposed to be true star 3b....think Ventura/Bryant kind of hype. IMO, he's fell far short of those expectations and is a pretty "meh" ballplayer. No doubt he does some things well but he'll always be an underachiever in my eyes.

Cespedes is finally living up to they hype and would truly be an impact bat and defender on this team. His 4th year in the league he was a dominant player and that timeline is what you'd expect for a guy coming from (essentially) A level ball. Not sure how thrilled I'd be with a 6yr deal but with our staff being as cheap as it is, we can afford to splurge a bit elsewhere.

Give me Cespedes!

I lean towards Gordon. The Sox need the lefty bat, the on base skills, the OF defense, that Gordon can bring. Plus, at a reduced cost, compared to Cespedes. The Sox need more bats like Gordon, who can work counts, make contact, and provide balance to the RH heavy lineup. Adding Gordon would be like adding a lefty version of Todd Frazier to the OF-without the power-above average defense, and solid all around, professional baseball player.

Actually with the addition of Lawrie the Sox have more than a couple players (Avi amongst them, oddly) who are pretty good at seeing a lot of pitches. I know thats not the exact same thing as working a count, but it's not like the Sox need to be looking for tougher outs as much as just straight up mashers.

Also Cespedes has reverse splits and would fit in the lineup as if he were a LHH.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 04:48 PM)
Actually with the addition of Lawrie the Sox have more than a couple players (Avi amongst them, oddly) who are pretty good at seeing a lot of pitches. I know thats not the exact same thing as working a count, but it's not like the Sox need to be looking for tougher outs as much as just straight up mashers.

Also Cespedes has reverse splits and would fit in the lineup as if he were a LHH.

The Sox have been adding guys who are tougher outs and need more. Don't get me wrong, I'd take Cespedes as its not my money. But the Sox have for years had too inconsistent of hitters. Too many guys overmatched, swinging outside the zone, getting themselves out oftentimes. A disciplined, professional hitter like Gordon is definitely needed. I'd take a free swinger like Cespedes. But the boom or bust guys I've had enough of over the years. Cespedes fits more into the latter category.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
I see Cespedes as a more likely fit in RF than Gordon and since signing an OF is all about getting Avisuck outta here... I'll go with Cespedes.

Melky can play RF. Its been a few years since he's played there. Pull Melky for defense late in games.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
The idea of getting a good bat and having 3 high picks this draft sounds good to me. It is like we are competing and rebuilding at the same time.

Ding ding ding! It's absolutely genius what the FO is doing. It's ridiculous that people advocate a tear down.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
The Sox have been adding guys who are tougher outs and need more. Don't get me wrong, I'd take Cespedes as its not my money. But the Sox have for years had too inconsistent of hitters. Too many guys overmatched, swinging outside the zone, getting themselves out oftentimes. A disciplined, professional hitter like Gordon is definitely needed. I'd take a free swinger like Cespedes. But the boom or bust guys I've had enough of over the years. Cespedes fits more into the latter category.

Exactly.

When was the last time we had a guy like Gordon on the team who does absolutely everything very well? Ever? People seem too happy to ignore the fact that in 2 of Cespedes' 4 seasons, his OBP has been of the Flowers/Viciedo/Avi/Alexei variety. We've seen these can't make a lot of contact/can't take a walk guys on the Sox too often. He's high risk/high reward with almost certainly some infuriating seasons in what will be at least an expensive 6 year commitment. If we get Cespedes it'll be a big upgrade. Fingers crossed we see the good version of him in the next 2 while we have Frazier.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 30, 2015 -> 05:20 PM)
Exactly.

When was the last time we had a guy like Gordon on the team who does absolutely everything very well? Ever? People seem too happy to ignore the fact that in 2 of Cespedes' 4 seasons, his OBP has been of the Flowers/Viciedo/Avi/Alexei variety. We've seen these can't make a lot of contact/can't take a walk guys on the Sox too often. He's high risk/high reward with almost certainly some infuriating seasons in what will be at least an expensive 6 year commitment. If we get Cespedes it'll be a big upgrade. Fingers crossed we see the good version of him in the next 2 while we have Frazier.

That's a good point. Cespedes is the more dynamic player of the two but he's also another free swinger on a free swinging team that doesn't work the count and take walks. Gordon while not the power bat Cespedes is, draws walks and plays elite defense. I think the Sox prefer Cespedes but Gordon is probably more in their ballpark money and years wise.